Author Topic: Air Force raises enlistee age limit from 27 to 39  (Read 2440 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force raises enlistee age limit from 27 to 39
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:12 pm »
Air Force raises enlistee age limit from 27 to 39

By Chris Carroll 
Stars and Stripes

Published: June 25, 2014

With budget cuts, the Iraq war ending and reduction of forces in Afghanistan, the Army and other branches of the military need fewer people. Since 2003, enlistment goals for most active and reserve branches dropped between 18 and 35 percent. The Navy Reserve cut its recruiting goals by 66 percent.

WASHINGTON — Thanks to a new Air Force policy announced Tuesday, enlisted recruits can now experience the joys of basic training in their late 30s.

The Air Force raised the maximum age for enlisted accession from 27 to 39, meaning it may now be the best choice for those who feel the call to military service later in life.

The maximum age for Army enlisted recruits is 35, while the Navy and Marines cap recruit ages at 34 and 28, respectively.

Under federal law, the oldest recruit any military branch can enlist is 42, although each service sets its own policy within that limit.

Annette Crawford, a spokeswoman for the Air Force Recruiting Service at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas, said officials would be watching to see whether the aches and pains of approaching middle age are too much for older recruits.

“With the change, if we see a higher initial training attrition or increased physical injuries … the Air Force recruiting commander can set a more restrictive age if necessary,” she said.

The increased maximum age is for all Air Force enlisted occupations rather than being targeted at increasing accessions in certain areas, she said.

The new policy comes at a time of a declining defense budget, a shrinking military and falling recruiting goals, however. From 2009 to 2013, the number of recruits dropped from nearly 32,000 to just over 26,000. While recruiting goals for 2014 are still being finalized, they’re likely to fall again.

Nevertheless, potential recruits were happy when the announcement was posted late Tuesday to Facebook.

“I was feeling completely out of luck because when I first looked into joining the AF, I was already 28 and the age limit was 27,” wrote a poster identified as Hugo Ricardo Roca. “Now all I need is to get back in shape and just join in.”

http://www.stripes.com/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:01:17 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Air Force raises enlistee age limit from 27 to 39
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »
Thar's trouble in them thar hills. :bullie smokin:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:10:43 pm »

“With the change, if we see a higher initial training attrition or increased physical injuries … the Air Force recruiting commander can set a more restrictive age if necessary,” she said.

As long as they can meet the physical requirements for females, everything should be fine...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:12:57 pm »
From SNL's "Raging Queen" to "aging queen".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »
still too young for me!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »
As long as they can meet the physical requirements for females, everything should be fine...

Which is why Obammy is trying to get more trangendered patriots into uniform....a SHe ought have no problem meeting requirements for females, as long as you aren't too picky about what you consider to be "female".....and no annoying little "package of junk" to get in the way of those fancy tight flight suits and hawt little parachute harnesses.......

:smokin:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:15:48 pm by Chieftain »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
Never joke about getting your package caught in the chute harness. Everyone does it at least once, and my GOD does it hurt!!!! I still have my dick clip certificate somewhere. It's a drop version of the wet diaper award your lunatics get on first carrier landing.

(Scuse the language)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »
Never joke about getting your package caught in the chute harness. Everyone does it at least once, and my GOD does it hurt!!!! I still have my dick clip certificate somewhere. It's a drop version of the wet diaper award your lunatics get on first carrier landing.

(Scuse the language)

I was an Instructor for 2 years at the US Navy LSO School at NAS Cecil Field Florida, and after it moved to NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach.  I was inundated with stories like this for two years.....a recurring theme I think, and I can understand why you only make that mistake once.....

:beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:01 pm »

It doesn't seem to matter how often you are told. You can have some guy who has done a thousand jumps telling you, yet your meat and two veg are going to be mashed the first time the chute opens! We use to swear blind that the reason for landing with bent legs then falling over was to get a bit of relief from the pain.

We had one guy - total wiseass. He'd watched our drops and stuffed a couple maxi pads in his strides before the drop. He thought the packing would help. He forgot that the crotch straps move up and at about a million miles an hour. You can imagine the friction, especially with two loose pads. Dumbass forgot to take off the tape and stick them down.  :laugh:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:43:43 pm »

I just missed the window. Darn.

In all seriousness though, I am sure this reflects the change in the military function from grunt work to more highly technical skills that more seasoned individuals could provide a positive contribution to.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 12:34:10 am »

It doesn't seem to matter how often you are told. You can have some guy who has done a thousand jumps telling you, yet your meat and two veg are going to be mashed the first time the chute opens! We use to swear blind that the reason for landing with bent legs then falling over was to get a bit of relief from the pain.

We had one guy - total wiseass. He'd watched our drops and stuffed a couple maxi pads in his strides before the drop. He thought the packing would help. He forgot that the crotch straps move up and at about a million miles an hour. You can imagine the friction, especially with two loose pads. Dumbass forgot to take off the tape and stick them down.  :laugh:

:bigsilly:

Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing at your description!  I've decided that I'm going to get "adventurous" when I get old - why fade away? - so I'll keep this in mind when I take up skydiving.

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:52:33 am »

:amen:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:42 am »

:bigsilly:

Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing at your description!  I've decided that I'm going to get "adventurous" when I get old - why fade away? - so I'll keep this in mind when I take up skydiving.

:silly: :silly:

You'll enjoy it. Though commercial drop training, you'll miss the worst for a bit since your first few jumps will be tandems. You'll be strapped to some fat sweaty guy instead of a parachute. (That got a sudden upsurge of interest in sky diving from the ladies!  :tongue2: )