Author Topic: Sudanese Christian mom spared death sentence rearrested trying to leave country  (Read 708 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/24/sudanese-mom-re-arrested-day-after-being-freed-from-death-row/?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

Sudanese Christian mom spared death sentence rearrested trying to leave country

Published June 24, 2014FoxNews.com

Sudanese authorities have re-arrested a young mother a day after she was freed from death row where she'd been sent for refusing to renounce her Christian faith, FoxNews.com confirmed.

Meriam Ibrahim, who gave birth in a Khartoum prison after being sentenced to death in May for allegedly converting from Islam to Christianity, was arrested with her husband, Daniel Wani, at Khartoum airport as she tried to leave the country, according to Al-Sharif Ali, a member of her legal team.

"We don't have a reason as to why," said Ali. "Her husband is also being detained. We have tried to see them, but it has been very difficult. The national security force will not allow us to meet with them."

Ibrahim and Daniel Wani, as well as their two children, were taken to a facility used by Sudan’s National Intelligence and Security Service aft the arrest, at 2 p.m. local time, a source close to the family told FoxNews.com. They had travel documents furnished by the U.S. embassy, but Ibrahim did not have a passport, the source said.

"She is either banned from traveling or the NISS could also create "papers issues" if they don't want her to leave the country," the source said.

Wani holds dual U.S.-Sudanese citizenship, and Ibrahim's supporters argued that their children, including a daughter named Maya born in prison in May and a 20-month-old boy named Martin who was imprisoned with her, are U.S. citizens.

Ibrahim, 27, refused to renounce her Christian faith in court in May, prompting a judge to sentence her to hang for apostasy. The case became an international cause, with several U.S. lawmakers and the State Department blasting the decision as barbaric. Sudan's national news service SUNA said the Court of Cassation in Khartoum on Monday canceled the death sentence after defense lawyers presented their case, and that the court ordered her release.

Sources close to the situation told FoxNews.com on Monday that Ibrahim's lawyers were scheduled to meet with representatives from the U.S. Embassy on Tuesday. Ali told FoxNews.com he is still hoping to reach a resolution, and plans to try to see Ibrahim on Wednesday.

“This is a deeply troubling development,” said Jordan Sekulow, executive director of the American Center for Law and Justice, which gathered more than 300,000 signatures for an online petition demanding Ibrahim's freedom.. “The decision to take the entire family into custody is a violation of international law and we call on Sudan to release them without delay. Meriam and her family’s fate are now unclear.

Ibrahim and Wani were married in a formal ceremony in 2011 and operate several businesses, including a farm, south of Khartoum, the country’s capital.

Ibrahim and Wani were married in a formal ceremony in 2011 and operate several businesses, including a farm, south of Khartoum, the country’s capital.

Wani fled to the United States as a child to escape the civil war in southern Sudan, but later returned. He is not permitted to have custody of his son because the boy is considered Muslim and cannot be raised by a Christian man.

Ibrahim’s case first came to the attention of authorities in August, after members of her father’s family complained that she was born a Muslim but married a Christian man. The relatives claimed her birth name was “Afdal” before she changed it to Meriam and produced a document that indicated she was given a Muslim name at birth. Her attorney has alleged the document was a fake.

Ibrahim says her mother was an Ethiopian Christian and her father a Muslim who abandoned the family when she was a child. Ibrahim was initially charged with having illegitimate sex last year, but she remained free pending trial. She was later charged with apostasy and jailed in February after she declared in court that Christianity was the only religion she knew.

“I was never a Muslim,” she told the Sudanese high court. “I was raised a Christian from the start.”

Sudan’s penal code criminalizes the conversion of Muslims to other religions, which is punishable by death. Muslim women in Sudan are further prohibited from marrying non-Muslims, although Muslim men are permitted to marry outside their faith. Children, by law, must follow their father’s religion.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

Prayers for this poor woman and her family - her only crime is being a Christian!  Hell, I've given up on Barack Obama to stand up - where is George Clooney?  I thought he cared about "human rights" in Sudan?

Offline Charlespg

where's Reagan :shrug:  he would have taught these subhuman savages a lesson
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline alicewonders

where's Reagan :shrug:  he would have taught these subhuman savages a lesson

"We're not in Kansas anymore."

Offline musiclady

Prayers for this poor woman and her family - her only crime is being a Christian!  Hell, I've given up on Barack Obama to stand up - where is George Clooney?  I thought he cared about "human rights" in Sudan?

Apparently the only "humans" they care about are non-Christian......    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.