Author Topic: Thad Cochran wins GOP nomination in Mississippi  (Read 5683 times)

Offline sinkspur

Thad Cochran wins GOP nomination in Mississippi
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:35 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2014/06/24/cochran-rangel-primary-results/11324323/

Thad Cochran wins GOP Senate nomination in MIssissippi

Thad Cochran won a narrow victory over State Senator Chris McDaniel on Tuesday night to run for another term for the US Senate.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Mississippi calling it for Cochran 98% votes in
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:17:24 am »
Mississippi U.S. Senate
Polls close in Mississippi at 8 p.m. ET.

REPUBLICAN PRIMARY RUNOFF   VOTES   %WON   
Thad Cochran  INCUMBENT   182,507   50.7   %
Chris McDaniel   177,709   49.3   

98% of votes in.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Mississippi calling it for Cochran 98% votes in
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:44:19 am »
The GOP-e stole the election by actively campaigning with Democrats and hiring black activists to get their people to the polls to vote for Cochran.  This is a new low, even for the RINOs and Roveites.  The crossover Democrats helped send this old fossil back to the Senate so he can vote for amnesty, gun control, more pork, and who knows what else.

When the GOP calls me asking for money, I will tell them to call the Democrats since they already are using them to influence primaries.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:30:17 am »
The GOP-e stole the election by actively campaigning with Democrats and hiring black activists to get their people to the polls to vote for Cochran.  This is a new low, even for the RINOs and Roveites.  The crossover Democrats helped send this old fossil back to the Senate so he can vote for amnesty, gun control, more pork, and who knows what else.
I hate to win this way, but it sure beats losing.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:34:07 am »
When Limbo urged such pranks, conservatives thought it was really cool.

Now they paint themselves, as they frequently do, as victims.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:53 am »
Allahpundit ‏@allahpundit

McCain/Cochran 2016

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:17 am »
Forget calling them RINOs.

We should call them cockroaches instead, because they seem to be impossible to exterminate anymore.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:21:10 am »
Commentary:
Cochran’s victory over McDaniel is a wake-up call for conservatives
By Neil W. McCabe  June 25, 2014 |  Canada Free Press

The win of Sen. W. Thad Cochran over state Sen. Christopher B. McDaniel in the June 24 GOP Mississippi Senate Primary runoff by less than 5,000 votes is a pyrrhic victory for the Republican establishment.

To save Cochran, the Republican leadership, specifically the National Senate Campaign Committee, the National Rifle Association, National Right to Life, former governor Haley Barbour and the Chamber of Commerce, stepped out of the shadows to support Cochran.

Take note: the National Rifle Association and National Right to Life supported Cochran, not McDaniel, whose views on restoring gun rights and legal protection to the unborn are absolutist.

Yes, there were dirty tricks. Stolen signs, funny voting patterns and favors traded and paid off.

Yes, it is obvious that Cochran has been carrying on for several years with one of his female aides—while his actual and legal wife continues to linger in a managed residential facility. McDaniel did not bring up the girlfriend, but he is a better man that I am.

Late last year, the buzz on Capitol Hill was that Cochran was going to step aside. But, when McDaniel emerged as the likely successor, GOP leaders put the touch on the incumbent to block McDaniel.

After 41 years in Washington, Cochran may have been tired, but in a state like Mississippi, federal largesse is mother’s milk—not just welfare, but military spending and grants to the state’s colleges and universities.

In his victory speech to supporters, Cochran claimed his win was a win for government jobs and military spending.

It was not an accident that Cochran made a campaign stop at Naval Air Station Meridian with another ancient mariner Sen. John S. McCain III (R.-Ariz.) touting his seat on the Senate Appropriations Committee. There is no doubt that if the Republicans take the Senate in November, the senator will become the committee chairman—one of the most powerful men in Washington.

In the June 3 primary, McDaniel bested Cochran with 49.5 percent, by just more than 1,300 votes, but it was not more than 50 percent, so the runoff was required.

Conservatives will bemoan how the Cochran campaign canvassed and delivered new votes from Democrats and the senator’s robocalls that called the Tea Party racist. But, the McDaniel camp was not without help.

Club for Growth, Citizens United, Senate Conservative Fund, FreedomWorks and the Tea Party Patriots and all the radio hosts and all the pundits and all the political tourists need to step back and figure out what just happened.

The way to win an election is to fight for voters and get them to the polls. To do those two simple steps takes work. Grunt work. Not mailers, not TV ads, not bus tours and not scorecards. It is grunt work of knocking on doors, working the phones and going back to the same doors and the same phone numbers.

People have won without doing the work, but rarely does it happen if the other side is doing their own voter ID and get-out-the-vote operation.

In the end, conservatives would have accepted the McDaniel loss if it was a fair fight. It will be many years before they forgive and forget being called racists and having busloads of Democrats thrown against them.

Perhaps, they will start by cleaning house at the National Republican Senate Committee, whose staff moved heaven and earth to keep them out of the Senate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:43:09 am »
Message sent.  This seat will go to the demonrats.
It would have been a very smart move for Palin and others to go into the minority community and show them what the republicans have to offer.  Simply appealing to ultra conservatives is not going to work.  Either we expand our message or we lose.

This was a stolen election because the republicans wrote off the black voters.

WAKE UP

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 12:57:01 pm »
The RNC/DNC are in an active partnership against the will of the American people. Not hyperbole or rhetoric, it is fact. Both will do anything, anything at all to maintain their desparate grasp on power, regardless of what the stupid, unwashed masses want.

They are a criminal enterprise in it together. Nothing could prove it more than this slimey cheat by the cockroach.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
The RNC/DNC are in an active partnership against the will of the American people. Not hyperbole or rhetoric, it is fact. Both will do anything, anything at all to maintain their desparate grasp on power, regardless of what the stupid, unwashed masses want.

They are a criminal enterprise in it together. Nothing could prove it more than this slimey cheat by the cockroach.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:25 pm »
The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

That truth is becoming more obvious every day.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Thad Cochran wins GOP nomination in Mississippi
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 02:00:59 pm »
So all the Dems who got him the nomination are going to vote Pub in the election? What a stupid old fool!

He locked out the Tea Party by guranteeing
his own defeat!

If I ever meet this slimey bastard, I will punch him in his antebellum era nose.

Does the word retire exist anymore? Why do politician even have pensions, since they are all determined to die at their desk, at a hundred years old, and on a conference call?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »
That truth is becoming more obvious every day.

Here's the pictorial version of the GOP...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:07:40 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »

If I ever meet this slimey bastard, I will punch him in his antebellum era nose.

Make sure he isn't engaged in any 'indecent acts with animals' first.

What has been seen cannot be un-seen...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:11:10 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 02:11:05 pm »

When the GOP calls me asking for money, I will tell them to call the Democrats since they already are using them to influence primaries.

What they did in Mississippi is a BLATANT violation of party rules and I will guarantee you that they will hear about it!

(It is against the rules for the party to take a position in a contested primary.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:16:16 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 02:15:57 pm »
Message sent.  This seat will go to the demonrats.
It would have been a very smart move for Palin and others to go into the minority community and show them what the republicans have to offer.  Simply appealing to ultra conservatives is not going to work.  Either we expand our message or we lose.

WAKE UP

No it won't.  Childers is an Obama Democrat and Cochran will crush him.  Mississippi conservatives are not going to throw a tantrum and sit out the election, like some of the dopes on this and other websites are advocating.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 02:18:20 pm »
What they did in Mississippi is a BLATANT violation of party rules and I will guarantee you that they will hear about it!

(It is against the rules for the party to take a position in a contested primary.)

Uh, no it's not.  An open primary means anybody can vote who hasn't already voted in another party's primary.  If Mississippi Republicans don't like open primaries, they can urge the state party to close them.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »
I don't know Mississippi politics very well, but from what can gather - it is a majority Republican state and the Republican party will probably have an easy victory this fall - whether Cochran or McDaniel had been the winner of the (R) primary.

Sooooooo - if what I am reading is true, then these Democrat voters that voted for Cochran - and put him over the top BARELY - were wooed with promises that Cochran will pull through for them.  Amnesty, Obamacare, Foreign Policy, large government spending and lots and lots of social spending...................these Democrat voters and the status quo Republicans that gave Cochran his victory WANT THESE THINGS.

This is what I assume happened to a large extent here in my state of Kentucky with Mitch McConnell and Matt Bevin, and this is what we who identify as fiscal conservatives are up against.  It's hard to defeat Santa Claus with promises that we will make you work for what you have.  It's hard to beat free stuff and that is our challenge. 

Cochran and the GOPe that helped him win - are progressives, they're just too slimey to come out and say it.  I hate them worse than I hate Democrats. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
these Democrat voters that voted for Cochran - and put him over the top BARELY - were wooed with promises that Cochran will pull through for them. 
Bloomberg's anti-gun group gave Cochran lots of money, so perhaps Dems also are expecting Thad to support gun-grabbing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 03:44:44 pm »
Bloomberg's anti-gun group gave Cochran lots of money, so perhaps Dems also are expecting Thad to support gun-grabbing.

Absolutely right!  These people don't give their votes and money away for FREE - they WILL get something in return.  My Dad told me when he was a boy in Pike County, Kentucky - the price of a vote was a bottle of whiskey.  The price has gone way up now. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 03:50:26 pm »
It was stolen because the Republican establishment sold out their principles for their vote. Cochran won this election with pork.

Another poster posted recently that somehow, if we reached out to those demographics, they would somehow vote for conservatives. Well, Thad Cochran "reached out" all right and gave them exactly what they want. More government dependency. If that's the only way to win over that demographic, well…

We're dealing with a corrupt electorate.

(apologies to Chief)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 04:04:15 pm »
Uh, no it's not.  An open primary means anybody can vote who hasn't already voted in another party's primary.  If Mississippi Republicans don't like open primaries, they can urge the state party to close them.

I'm not talking about how the primary is conducted but rather about the Republican party favoring one candidate over another in it you twit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 06:06:26 pm »

The "will of the American people" is expressed by their votes.

That seems to be an ingredient "true conservatives" have the most difficulty with; e.g. getting the MOST votes. Hence they sometimes don't even get beyond their own party's primary.

You get MORE votes by being the choice of MORE voters. Many would say that is achieved by broadening their appeal.

A new approach for true conservatives would be following in Reagan's path; common sense appeal, including independents and democrats, and being gracious to all.

Remember Reagan democrats? I do. I guess Cochran has in mind being Senator for all the citizens of his state, not just a narrow minority.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln