Author Topic: U.S. Archivist: IRS ‘Did Not Follow The Law’ After They Lost Lerner Emails  (Read 343 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. Archivist: IRS ‘Did Not Follow The Law’ After They Lost Lerner Emails

Archivist confirms IRS broke Federal Records Act

BY:  Washington Free Beacon Staff
June 24, 2014 11:47 am

U.S. Archivist David Ferriero of the National Archives and Records Administration told Rep. Tim Walberg (R., Mich.) that the IRS “did not follow the law” when they failed to notify his administration that they had lost Lois Lerner’s email records.

Ferriero testified that all agencies are required to notify the Archives of unauthorized destruction of federal records.

At first Ferriero, questioned by Walberg, avoided directly saying that the IRS broke the law.

“Is it fair to say that the IRS broke the Federal Records Act?” Walberg asked.

“I’m not a lawyer,” Ferriero hedged.

“But you administer the Federal Records Act?” Walberg pressed. “If they didn’t follow it, can we safely assume they broke the law?”

“They did not follow the law,” Ferriero confirmed.

Transcript of the full exchange:

WALBERG: In your testimony you state that when agencies become aware of unauthorized destruction of federal records, that they are required to report the incidents to the Archives. At any time in 2011, through last Monday, did the IRS report any loss of records related to Lois Lerner?

FERRIERO: No.

WALBERG: Is it fair to say that the IRS broke the Federal Records Act?

FERRIERO: Any agency is required to notify us when they realize they have a problem that could be destruction or unauthorized disposal–
WALBERG: But they didn’t do that.

FERRIERO: That’s right.

WALBERG: Did they break the law?

FERRIERO: I’m not a lawyer.

WALBERG: But you administer the Federal Records Act?

FERRIERO: I do.

WALBERG: If they didn’t follow it, can we safely assume they broke the law?

FERRIERO: They did not follow the law.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/u-s-archivist-irs-did-not-follow-the-law-after-they-lost-lerner-emails/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:25:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Winning this case is going to be a Herculean slog through masses of circumstantial evidence.  Only the brightest of optimists can hope that somewhere there's one last smoking gun they missed when they purged the IRS emails.