Author Topic: 'We have a problem with you, and you have a problem maintaining your credibility'  (Read 562 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Let's hope they keep up the full-court press.

Offline Relic

I don't know. It seems to me that once Darrell Issa shows up and gets his camera time, that's the kiss of death to any investigation.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I don't know. It seems to me that once Darrell Issa shows up and gets his camera time, that's the kiss of death to any investigation.
[/b]

I've noticed that as well.  He talks a good game.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

I've noticed that as well.  He talks a good game.

I think perhaps it might help to step back and look at what has been going on for two years now.  These e-mails were always central to this, from the very beginning.  The IRS has tried to delay and stonewall this investigation by Issa any way they could.  Let's not forget the determined obstruction of all of this by Elija Cummings, the ranking Democrat on the committee. 

I do not understand what you think Issa could have done before now about any of this.  It is now clear that the White House is directly involved in this, as they knew about this hard drive fiasco long before Congress did, and do not forget that this is all subject to formal House Subpoena, that Darrel Issa had to fight tooth and nail to get passed in the first place.

A case like this is built one piece at a time.  It has taken the force of Congress, applied largely by Issa, just to get us to the point where we are right now.  What I believe comes next is a Special Prosecutor.  In light of the latest details, and the amazingly hostile testimony by the IRS Commissioner himself in front of multiple Congressional Committees, I do not see a need for Congress to progress much further without passing a demand for a Special Prosecutor to formally investigate this.

I compare what has happened to date with the IRS, and the amount of just the appearance of impropriety, with what we saw during the successful Impeachment of Bill Clinton, and back to the threatened Articles of Impeachment that were going to be brought against Nixon before he resigned.  In my view, we are light years beyond the point that Nixon and Clinton ever aspired to and into the realm of violations of the Presidential Oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States". 

One of the things Nixon was accused of, and never tried on, was using the IRS as a weapon against his political enemies.  Since then Congress has passed laws that supposedly would prevent that kind of thing ever happening again.  IRS's own rules require secure backups of data, especially e-mails.  Everyone today works off of some kind of server, and even your personal e-mails at home are not stored on your hard drive. 

Again, I think there is ample evidence of extreme misconduct on several levels that rises to the level of requiring a Special Prosecutor.  That has to be drawn up with supporting documentation and prepared to be properly passed by the House of Representatives.  The first step in the process is a report out of the Committee that is investigating the matter, and Issa is the Chair of that committee in this case.  He has a duty, a responsibility, and the good sense to carefully lay the foundation for this still expanding case.  I think he has done a superb job to date, but he can hardly be expected to present a final report when he has outstanding subpoenas for these now magically disappeared e-mails.

I counsel patience, plenty of popcorn, and stay tuned.  This is an ongoing event that is far from over, and the fireworks we have seen this week are only the opening round.  Like so many other Obama scandals, this one is rapidly falling to pieces before our eyes.

Enjoy the show.....

:beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I like Issa, and don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed.  But it seems I always get all excited when Issa is heading up a hearing - but, more often than not I am let down and nothing much seems to come from it.  It really hit me when Lois Lerner first pled the Fifth and Issa just seemed to let her get away with it - fortunately, Trey Gowdy was there to call her on it.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/05/irs-official-lois-lerner-pleads-the-fifth-i-have-not-done-anything-wrong/ 

"Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) expressed his regret that she decided to plead the Fifth. He then asked if she would at least verify that previous on-the-record statement were indeed hers. She did so.

She was then asked by Chairman Issa to reconsider answering the committee's questions, which her counsel advised her not to do.

As Issa sought to dismiss Lerner, Representative Trey Gowdy (R-SC) protested, pointing out the obvious:

"She just testified or waived her Fifth Amendment right to privilege. You don't get to tell your side of the story and not be subjected to cross-examination. That's not the way it works. She waived her right by issuing an opening state and ought to stand here and answer our questions."

Gowdy's statement brought applause from some. However, Issa went on to dismiss Lerner.

Well, I'm glad that Representative Gowdy took a stand and pointed out exactly what I was thinking as I watched. I'm wondering though if Issa was having her affirm her previous statements, in order to deal with them in light of her claims that she had not presented any false information to his committee previously. Time will tell."
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
I think perhaps it might help to step back and look at what has been going on for two years now.  These e-mails were always central to this, from the very beginning.  The IRS has tried to delay and stonewall this investigation by Issa any way they could.  Let's not forget the determined obstruction of all of this by Elija Cummings, the ranking Democrat on the committee. 

I do not understand what you think Issa could have done before now about any of this.  It is now clear that the White House is directly involved in this, as they knew about this hard drive fiasco long before Congress did, and do not forget that this is all subject to formal House Subpoena, that Darrel Issa had to fight tooth and nail to get passed in the first place.

A case like this is built one piece at a time.  It has taken the force of Congress, applied largely by Issa, just to get us to the point where we are right now.  What I believe comes next is a Special Prosecutor.  In light of the latest details, and the amazingly hostile testimony by the IRS Commissioner himself in front of multiple Congressional Committees, I do not see a need for Congress to progress much further without passing a demand for a Special Prosecutor to formally investigate this.

I compare what has happened to date with the IRS, and the amount of just the appearance of impropriety, with what we saw during the successful Impeachment of Bill Clinton, and back to the threatened Articles of Impeachment that were going to be brought against Nixon before he resigned.  In my view, we are light years beyond the point that Nixon and Clinton ever aspired to and into the realm of violations of the Presidential Oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States". 

One of the things Nixon was accused of, and never tried on, was using the IRS as a weapon against his political enemies.  Since then Congress has passed laws that supposedly would prevent that kind of thing ever happening again.  IRS's own rules require secure backups of data, especially e-mails.  Everyone today works off of some kind of server, and even your personal e-mails at home are not stored on your hard drive. 

Again, I think there is ample evidence of extreme misconduct on several levels that rises to the level of requiring a Special Prosecutor.  That has to be drawn up with supporting documentation and prepared to be properly passed by the House of Representatives.  The first step in the process is a report out of the Committee that is investigating the matter, and Issa is the Chair of that committee in this case.  He has a duty, a responsibility, and the good sense to carefully lay the foundation for this still expanding case.  I think he has done a superb job to date, but he can hardly be expected to present a final report when he has outstanding subpoenas for these now magically disappeared e-mails.

I counsel patience, plenty of popcorn, and stay tuned.  This is an ongoing event that is far from over, and the fireworks we have seen this week are only the opening round.  Like so many other Obama scandals, this one is rapidly falling to pieces before our eyes.

Enjoy the show.....

:beer:

Issa and the Republicans in Congress may also be trying to slow-walk a bit so they can get through this Fall's elections when, hopefully, they'll have more members in Congress and thus better odds of getting things like a special prosecutor done.  Getting a special prosecutor appointed is, I would think, a one-shot deal; if the republicans were to try and get one appointed now and fail due to democrat opposition, they most likely wouldn't get a second chance.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:41:09 AM by Oceander »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf