Author Topic: Nearly Half Of Detroit Water Customers Can’t Pay Their Bill [asks for UN help]  (Read 1731 times)

Offline flowers

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/06/23/nearly-half-of-detroit-water-customers-cant-pay-their-bill/

DETROIT (WWJ) – It’s a basic human right: water. But could the United Nations soon help the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department provide the service to struggling customers?

Water department spokeswoman Curtrise Garner says it’s a possibility — but for now, the water bills must be paid.

“We do have programs that do help those that are just totally in need; can’t afford it — but we also know that there are also people who can’t afford it would can not pay and we know this because, once we shut water off, the next day they are in paying the bill in full. So we do know that that has become a habit as well,” said Garner.

“At the DWAS Department — it’s not our goal to shut off water. We want people’s water on, just like they do; but you do have to pay for your water…That’s the bottom line.”

Garner said the reality is that nearly half of Detroit Water and Sewerage customers can’t pay their bills; and that has led activists to lobby the UN to step up and take action.

“If they do contact us we are willing to speak with them,” she said, adding “We owe it to the customers that are paying to collect from those that aren’t. Somebody has to pay for the water.”

And while Garner says water is “a God-given right,” she says there is a cost to move water from the water resource to the customer and that the infrastructure costs money.

According to the Free Press, the average Detroit water bill is now $75 a month — much higher than the nation’s average rate of about $40.

So, what’s the solution?

WWJ Newsradio 950 listeners have been sounding off on Facebook.

Posted Kathy Ward, “This is just insane. If someone is that destitute that they truly cannot afford their water bill, there are already welfare programs in place for that. I’m guessing those same people not paying their water also have a TV, cable, I-phone, etc. People need to get their priorities straight, not expect another government handout.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ According to the Free Press, the average Detroit water bill is now $75 a month ]]

$75 a month?
For water?

No wonder folks ain't payin'.... !!

Offline musiclady

It's probably illegal to collect rainwater too.

EPA regs, or something like that....      :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline speekinout

Don't forget that MD has a rain tax….  :police:

Offline musiclady

Don't forget that MD has a rain tax….  :police:

Seriously??  Oy!    **nononono*

I thought I had read that it was illegal to collect rainwater in some places, but I didn't know about a tax on rain.

This country has gone stark raving mad!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline speekinout

Seriously??  Oy!    **nononono*

I thought I had read that it was illegal to collect rainwater in some places, but I didn't know about a tax on rain.

This country has gone stark raving mad!

It's called a rain tax, but it's really a tax on any part of your property that is impervious to rain - paved areas or buildings where the rain won't be absorbed into the earth are taxed. Sending runoff somewhere else is a no-no.

Maybe they can give a rebate for rain you collect in barrels? If you can prove it came from rain that fell on the driveway?  :shrug:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It's probably illegal to collect rainwater too.

EPA regs, or something like that....      :smokin:

Nobody worrys about what is "legal", in Detroit, especially the politicians.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

It's called a rain tax, but it's really a tax on any part of your property that is impervious to rain - paved areas or buildings where the rain won't be absorbed into the earth are taxed. Sending runoff somewhere else is a no-no.

Maybe they can give a rebate for rain you collect in barrels? If you can prove it came from rain that fell on the driveway?  :shrug:

What if the rain from one's driveway is drained into a dry well located on one's own property?  There is no net run-off and so the tax ought not apply.

As an aside, though, does the building code also require that there be a certain minimum amount of paved parking on every residential lot?  I ask because that seems a useful way to make it impossible for any property owner to avoid the tax by not building any impervious surfaces.

Offline speekinout

What if the rain from one's driveway is drained into a dry well located on one's own property?  There is no net run-off and so the tax ought not apply.

As an aside, though, does the building code also require that there be a certain minimum amount of paved parking on every residential lot?  I ask because that seems a useful way to make it impossible for any property owner to avoid the tax by not building any impervious surfaces.

The tax applies to all impervious surfaces - roofs, driveways, parking areas, etc. Obviously, a residential lot will have a roof. And in many jurisdictions, you can't park on the street, nor can you park on grass, so you have to have some kind of driveway and garage or parking area.

It's a very liberal state (at least, the gov't is). The issue is about how to increase taxes and not about making sense.  :nono:

Oceander

The tax applies to all impervious surfaces - roofs, driveways, parking areas, etc. Obviously, a residential lot will have a roof. And in many jurisdictions, you can't park on the street, nor can you park on grass, so you have to have some kind of driveway and garage or parking area.

It's a very liberal state (at least, the gov't is). The issue is about how to increase taxes and not about making sense.  :nono:

Does a gravel driveway count as impervious or not?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Oceander wrote above:
[[ Does a gravel driveway count as impervious or not? ]]

A little off-topic, but a fearless prediction:
Before this administration is over, I expect the EPA to declare that WELL WATER also comes under its jurisdiction.

Rationale will be that since wells tap into "groundwater", drilling a well could impact the condition of underground aquifers, etc.

And with that, we will see requirements that before permission is granted to drill a new well, an EPA inspection or enviornmental impact report will be required -- and that numerous property owners building new homes will be denied such permits.

This is coming...

Oceander

Oceander wrote above:

Before this administration is over, I expect the EPA to declare that WELL WATER also comes under its jurisdiction.

Rationale will be that since wells tap into "groundwater", drilling a well could impact the condition of underground aquifers, etc.

And with that, we will see requirements that before permission is granted to drill a new well, an EPA inspection or enviornmental impact report will be required -- and that numerous property owners building new homes will be denied such permits.

This is coming...

possible, although I think the final nail in that argument would be that as the water in the aquifer is drawn down by wells, pollutants/contaminants are pulled into the aquifer, thus wells indirectly increase the pollution/contamination of the groundwater and can therefore be regulated.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Oceander wrote above:

This is coming...

This is already here.  In some states you cannot collect rainwater without a state license because the state lays claim to every drop that falls on it.

Offline GourmetDan

A little further off-topic, the EPA is proposing to change the definition of 'navigable waters'  to include a new regulatory definition of 'tributaries'.

The government will soon own the puddles in your back yard.

Predictably, "Environmental groups, including Earthjustice and the National Wildlife Federation, were mostly effusive in their praise for the proposed rule."

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline musiclady

This is already here.  In some states you cannot collect rainwater without a state license because the state lays claim to every drop that falls on it.

This is what I was referring to upthread.

Do you know what states they are (off the top of your kinda scary looking head), or should I actually do my own research and find out myself?    :dx1: