Author Topic: Biden one-ups ‘dead broke’ Hillary by boasting he’s ‘the poorest man in Congress’  (Read 637 times)

rangerrebew

Biden one-ups ‘dead broke’ Hillary by boasting he’s ‘the poorest man in Congress’

By Dave Boyer

The Washington Times

Monday, June 23, 2014

At a White House summit for working families Monday, Vice President Joseph R. Biden tried to relate to the audience by calling himself "the poorest man in Congress."

While acknowledging that he was wearing "a mildly expensive suit," Mr. Biden said he's not as wealthy as most of his peers in Washington.

"I don't own a single stock or bond," Mr. Biden said to laughter. "I have no savings accounts. But I got a great pension and I got a good salary."

Mr. Biden and wife Jill reported $407,009 in adjusted gross income in 2013, including $230,700 for his salary as vice president. They also have been receiving $2,200 a month in rent from the Secret Service for its use of a small building on their property in Delaware.

But the vice president's reported net worth of less than $800,000 is less than many of his colleagues in Congress, where he serves as president of the Senate.

Mr. Biden acknowledged that he has been "very, very fortunate" in his career. And although he didn't propose any new federal policies to help working families Monday, he called for employers to be more flexible in granting leave.

"It's about creating policies that allow your worker to balance family and work," Mr. Biden said. "If you give it a shot, I think you'll find the return is overwhelming."

The White House is hosting the summit in partnership with the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank, in part as a way to motivate women voters in this election year, especially single women who are an important part of the Democratic base.

President Obama is announcing a series of steps aimed at workplace flexibility, including an executive order directing federal agencies to implement existing workplace flexibility initiatives and to institute a new "right to request" work policy.

Mr. Obama said in an interview with CNN that the summit "is not just a women's issue."

"This is a middle class issue and an American issue," he said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/23/joe-biden-im-poorest-man-congress/#ixzz35U45dYoc
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline sinkspur

Biden and Hillary are illustrating that they think their LIV base is stupid and gullible.  They are, of course, but the rest of us are laughing at the whole lot of them.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

Biden and Hillary are illustrating that they think their LIV base is stupid and gullible.  They are, of course, but the rest of us are laughing at the whole lot of them.

What is to laugh about?
They, (Biden and Clinton), are wealthy beyond what most of us can imagine.
They will be cared for, with a generous pension and awesome medical care, among other perks, for the rest of their lives.
They can tell any lie, they can say any outrageous thing, and the worst that happens is the media will dismiss it, and bury it.
And the American public is too stupid and distracted to understand that two very wealthy people are crying poor in attempt to appear as if they are one of the common folk.

It's tragic. But Clinton and Biden are the ones who are laughing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:39:41 pm by Relic »

Online mountaineer

I'm poorer than you!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Biden: I’m Poor Too!
by Keith Koffler on June 23, 2014, 10:58 am

Since it seems to be working so well for her, Vice President Biden jumped onto Hillary Clinton’s I’m-in-the-poorhouse bandwagon today, claiming he’s the “poorest member of Congress” and that he doesn’t own any securities.

From remarks this morning at the White House Working Families Summit in Washington.
He’s vice president of the United States of American. Not withstanding he’s the poorest member of Congress, he still makes a lot of money . . . Don’t hold it against me that I don’t own a single stock or bond,” he said. “Don’t hold it — I have no savings account. But I got a great pension and I get a good salary. For real. For real.

The vice president, as president of the Senate, is technically a member of Congress, I guess.

Actually, as Zeke Miller of Time pointed out, Biden does have a savings account. And Biden is damn sure right about his salary – he and his wife had an adjusted gross income of $407,009 last year.

I wonder if the guys at Biden’s new country club in Wilmington are gonna rib him about this?

What’s wrong with these people? Do Democrats really have to pretend to be poor in order to appease their voters? Did John F. Kennedy ever suggest he wasn’t filthy rich? Did FDR ever claim not to be a member of the patrician class?

IS IT SUCH A STAIN ON THE HONOR OF DEMOCRATS TODAY TO HAVE MADE SOME MONEY?

And could they at least start telling the truth once in awhile?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

rest of us are laughing at the whole lot of them.
Nah.....not even close to laughing at it.

Offline flowers

Since it seems to be working so well for her, Vice President Biden jumped onto Hillary Clinton’s I’m-in-the-poorhouse bandwagon today, claiming he’s the “poorest member of Congress” and that he doesn’t own any securities.

From remarks this morning at the White House Working Families Summit in Washington.
The vice president, as president of the Senate, is technically a member of Congress, I guess.

Actually, as Zeke Miller of Time pointed out, Biden does have a savings account. And Biden is damn sure right about his salary – he and his wife had an adjusted gross income of $407,009 last year.

I wonder if the guys at Biden’s new country club in Wilmington are gonna rib him about this?

What’s wrong with these people? Do Democrats really have to pretend to be poor in order to appease their voters? Did John F. Kennedy ever suggest he wasn’t filthy rich? Did FDR ever claim not to be a member of the patrician class?

They really do respond to the money issue don't they?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Kerry isn't saying a word, is he?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

They do have to plead poverty - economic poverty - because most of their politics are now based on vilifying "the rich", meaning anyone with enough money to live comfortably, and so they must distance themselves from the targets of their vilification notwithstanding the fact that they are precisely the sort of people they're pillorying.

Offline Right_in_Virginia