Author Topic: Rite of the Sitting Dead: Funeral Poses Mimic Life  (Read 959 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Rite of the Sitting Dead: Funeral Poses Mimic Life
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »
Campbell Robertson and Frances Robles
The New York Times
June 21, 2014

NEW ORLEANS — All last week, people were calling Louis Charbonnet to find out how they might avoid lying down at their funerals. Funeral directors have called; so have people with their own requests, such as the woman who wanted to be seen for the last time standing over her cooking pot.

The calls started coming in to the Charbonnet-Labat Funeral Home during its June 12 viewing for Miriam Burbank, who died at 53 and spent her service sitting at a table amid miniature New Orleans Saints helmets, with a can of Busch beer at one hand and a menthol cigarette between her fingers, just as she had spent a good number of her living days.
More

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline PzLdr

Re: Rite of the Sitting Dead: Funeral Poses Mimic Life
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »
If Slick Willy chose this type of funeral, young children would be allowed at the viewing.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:15 pm »
My wife made the mistake one time of asking me during a serious conversation, exactly what I wanted her to do with my ashes.  She was thinking scattered at sea, and was not prepared when I told her to mix me up in her douche bag and run me through once for old time's sake....

That was part of her early education about what it meant to be married to a Sailor......

:beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:31:54 pm »
My wife made the mistake one time of asking me during a serious conversation, exactly what I wanted her to do with my ashes.  She was thinking scattered at sea, and was not prepared when I told her to mix me up in her douche bag and run me through once for old time's sake....

That was part of her early education about what it meant to be married to a Sailor......

I found my old pair of Cracker Jacks a few weeks ago, showing them to my wife and son, and wishing I had the body to get back into them.   The wife asked  "Why did they put so many buttons on the pants?    My response - the 13 buttons on the trousers front flap gave the girls 12 chances to change their mind. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:36 pm »
I found my old pair of Cracker Jacks a few weeks ago, showing them to my wife and son, and wishing I had the body to get back into them.   The wife asked  "Why did they put so many buttons on the pants?    My response - the 13 buttons on the trousers front flap gave the girls 12 chances to change their mind.

I've still got my old jumper someplace....

My first 2 cruises were WestPacs on Ranger, and I'd like to get my hands on a set of real silk dragon liberty cuff inserts, as well as one of the old "China Fleet" inserts for the inside of the jumper's flap.  No sense having a set of zippers installed on each side....at least not now.....I figure if done right it would make an outstanding shadow box subject....

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »
New Orleans funerals are a trip. This is just the tip of the crazyburg of stuff I've heard about.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:08:03 pm by AbaraXas »