Author Topic: Did IRS Commish John Koskinen Lie Under Oath Today? (Updated)  (Read 1755 times)

rangerrebew

- The PJ Tatler - http://pjmedia.com/tatler -

Did IRS Commish John Koskinen Lie Under Oath Today? (Updated)

Posted By Bryan Preston On June 20, 2014 @ 10:22 am In Politics | 9 Comments

I’ll just refer you over to Ed’s post at Hot Air.

In his opening statement to the House Oversight Committee today, IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said that email isn’t really an official record, and the IRS system isn’t built to preserve it anyway.

In discussing document retention at the IRS, it is important to point out that our email system is not being used as an electronic record keeping system. Furthermore, it should be remembered that not all emails on IRS servers or backup tapes qualify as an “official record,” which is defined (in 44 U.S.C. 3301) as any documentary material made or received by an agency under federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business and appropriate for preservation. Accordingly, our agency’s email system is not designed to preserve email. Rather, email that qualifies as “records” are printed and retained in compliance with relevant records control schedules. Individual employees are responsible for ensuring that any email in their possession that qualifies as a “record” is retained in accordance with the requirements in the Internal Revenue Manual and Document 12990 (Record Control Schedules).

That’s a strange thing for the guy who runs the IRS to say. The IRS manual explicitly says that email is an official record and should be preserved.

The IRS’s own manual made it clear that the storage of email was important enough to have permanent backups of their data. “IRS offices will not store the official recordkeeping copy of email messages that are federal records ONLY on the electronic mail system,” and even went so far as to require hard copies “for record-keeping purposes.”

“Permanent” is a key word there. The IRS’ current claim is that it recycles its backup tapes every six months. That’s obviously not permanent. The IRS manual also suggests that there should be printed copies of those “lost” emails. Where are they?

Koskinen can’t claim that he misspoke about this. The quote excerpted above is from his written opening statement.

But he does have at least one out. He hasn’t been at the IRS very long and wasn’t there when the emails got “lost” and the hard drives got trashed. He can say that the IRS was a shambles when he got there, it wasn’t operating by the book, but he’s fixing all that. As for the “lost” emails, well, that’s the last guy’s fault.

Update: The former IRS IT contractor we wrote about the other day comments on Koskinen’s answer:

[Koskinen] said the email system is not being used as a record keeping system. This is true.  There are other systems which record keep from the email system.  This is what backups and other archive systems are designed for.

Typical weasel response.

The former IRS IT contractor adds that the IRS has no reason to “cry” about lacking funding to modernize its systems.

That’t true. The IRS has just completed a 15-year, multi-billion dollar contract with Computer Sciences Corporation to upgrade its computer infrastructure. The agency spends about $1.8 billion per year on its computer systems.

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pjmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/06/20/did-irs-commish-john-koskinen-lie-under-oath-today/

SPQR

Re: Did IRS Commish John Koskinen Lie Under Oath Today? (Updated)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:09:38 am »
The audience Gasped when he said he tossed the hard drive in the trash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5XJxfT5dL8
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:16:29 am by Trigger »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 10:28:24 am »
I guess the lesson learned here is that Nixon should have destroyed the tapes...

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »
Did he lie under oath? Does it matter? These hooples lie like other people breathe. Even easier. Because who's going to prosecute them? Boo Hoo Boehner? Eric "The Red" Holder? Give me a frickin' break!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »
The Feds have become so far out of control, that Congress has become a joke to them. When that guy said, I will not apologize, he may as well have told Congress F**k You!. And that is what he did.

He know Hussein and Holder have his back, and he, like the President, views Congress as vapor, a bunch of worthless idiots.

Obama's bureaucrat warriors have no fear of anything. No 'Law', or rules, can touch them. Once Obama subverted the legal system, then law and rules become meaningless.

And the government and union bureaucrats know it very well, and they love it. With the whole game entirely stacked in their favor, they are all out of control.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:35 pm »
I guess honesty is not part of veritas. :bullie smokin:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:25:31 pm »
I guess the lesson learned here is that Nixon should have destroyed the tapes...

Yep...all of 'em.  Obama really has become the President that Nixon longed to be.....

:smokin:

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:24 am »

Exactly.  In other words, it would appear that these criminals have learned from Nixon's mistakes.

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 06:15:48 am »
Go to College Park, Maryland at the National Archives and ask for Tape 342(Nixon Tapes) The only problem it has been played a few times so you might have to make your own copies

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa081301a.htm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:18:53 am by Trigger »

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:49 pm »
When you think about it, "what possible difference can it make," everything has disappeared.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 02:34:47 pm »
I wonder what is or was on those e-mails? NOTHING will bring this administration down.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:35:56 pm by flowers »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
Yep...all of 'em.  Obama really has become the President that Nixon longed to be.....

:smokin:

And Pravda had wet dreams of being the NYT
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.