Author Topic: U.N. chief warns against airstrikes on militants in Iraq  (Read 569 times)

Offline flowers

U.N. chief warns against airstrikes on militants in Iraq
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:56:11 pm »
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/20/iraq-security-un-idUKN9N0O502I20140620

(Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned on Friday that airstrikes against Islamist militants in Iraq could be counter-productive unless moves were made to create an inclusive government.

"Military strikes against (ISIL) might have little lasting effect or even be counter-productive if there is no movement towards inclusive government in Iraq," Ban said, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. (Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

Oceander

Re: U.N. chief warns against airstrikes on militants in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:05 pm »
I want to play a hypothetical game here, and change a few of the labels - but not the substance - of this remark:

(Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moonU.K. Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain warned on Friday that airstrikes against Islamist militants in IraqGermans in Czechoslovakia could be counter-productive unless moves were made to create an inclusive government.

"Military strikes against (ISILthe Nazis) might have little lasting effect or even be counter-productive if there is no movement towards inclusive government in IraqCzechoslovakia," Ban said, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and the LevantNationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei.

Just my two cents' worth, but I think the parallels are a little too close for comfort.

Just fyi:  the "excuse" for invading Czechoslovakia was in large part the Nazi's claim that ethnic Germans there were suffering under the hands of the Czech government.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:36:19 pm by Oceander »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
That's a hoot. That's he gonna do? Send in the Blue Hats? Refuse, on principle, to take our share of the funds to run that termite nest? Do a little global warming? What a putz!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:59 pm »
That's a hoot. That's he gonna do? Send in the Blue Hats? Refuse, on principle, to take our share of the funds to run that termite nest? Do a little global warming? What a putz!

#ISISbeNice

:smokin:

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »

Just my two cents' worth, but I think the parallels are a little too close for comfort.

Very many things going on today is very close for comfort. IMHO.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 12:49:36 pm »
"Military strikes against (ISIL) might have little lasting effect or even be counter-productive if there is no movement towards inclusive government in Iraq," Ban said

Okay, now I understand.  This has nothing to do with a battle that's been going on since the 7th century.   It's all about an inclusive government.

Wow.   **nononono*