Author Topic: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase  (Read 334 times)

rangerrebew

Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »
Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

Associated Press
By JOAN LOWY

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two senators unveiled a bipartisan plan Wednesday to raise federal gasoline and diesel taxes for the first time in more than two decades, pitching the proposal as a solution to Congress' struggle to pay for highway and transit programs.

The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4-cents-a- gallon diesel tax by 12 cents each over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation.

The plan also calls for offsetting the tax increases with other taxes cuts. It suggests that could be done by permanently extending about 50 federal tax breaks that expired this year, but the senators indicated they would be open to other suggestions for offsets.

The federal Highway Trust Fund that pays for highway and transit aid is forecast to go broke by late August. Revenue from gas taxes and other transportation user fees that go into the fund haven't kept pace with federal aid promised to states. People are driving less per capita and cars are more fuel efficient, keeping revenues fairly flat. But nation's infrastructure is aging, creating greater demand for new and rebuilt roads and bridges. At the same time, the cost of construction has increased.

http://news.yahoo.com/senators-propose-12-cent-gas-tax-increase-161747827--finance.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:08:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sinkspur

Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »
I thought revenue measures had to originate in the House.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:52 pm »
Good!

I'm serious. Punish the people. Tax them, regulate them, oppress them.
A public that refuses to take notice of what is going on in their government doesn't deserve liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:47:16 pm »
Just think how much this will hurt all the little kiddies who voted Obama in office.

They have debts and no jobs (thanks to their Messiah), are living in a crippled obamaconomy, and now the gas they need to get around is going to cost even more than it already does.

WTG, leftists.  Way to bite the hand that fed you.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
Just think how much this will hurt all the little kiddies who voted Obama in office.

They have debts and no jobs (thanks to their Messiah), are living in a crippled obamaconomy, and now the gas they need to get around is going to cost even more than it already does.

WTG, leftists.  Way to bite the hand that fed you.....

I've given up. We have a big government, anti freedom administration in the executive branch. They are aided by a protective, cheerleading media. The public just can't be bothered to take notice.

I made this post on facebook yesterday:
"The person they captured in Benghazi is described as a militia leader, meaning this wasn’t an uprising due to a video. But the guy who made the video is still in jail.

The IRS “lost” the emails of the woman who is charged with using the IRS to persecute right leaning groups. Emails for all but the smallest companies are kept on servers, and archived for years, but the IRS lost 2 years of this woman's emails.

Reporters are not allowed to photograph the kids that are somehow showing up at the southern border in droves. Why is that?

Russia rolled tanks into the Ukraine, and shot down a Ukrainian transport plane, killing 49. John Kerry took time to call Moscow and express concern. Barack Obama was silent.

But no one is talking about Obamacare, the VA scandals, or the price of gas."

And only one person noticed. So, I am going to make a sport of watching Americans lose their freedom, because that is what is going to happen. I just hope that if the public ever figures out what they've lost, I'm alive to see it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:13 am »
sinkspur wrote above:
[[ I thought revenue measures had to originate in the House...]]

That was back when we had something called the Constitution.

Since dat Obama guy got in, don'tz needz it no mo' !!