Author Topic: George Clooney set to follow in Arnold Schwarzenegger's footsteps and run for Governor of California  (Read 654 times)

rangerrebew

George Clooney set to follow in Arnold Schwarzenegger's footsteps and run for Governor of California

Jun 15, 2014 15:40 
By Christopher Bucktin

The actor is planning to launch a political career after marrying British lawyer Amal Alamuddin,

Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney is set to follow in the footsteps of fellow actor Arnold Schwarzenegger by running for Governor of California.

Friends of the Gravity star say the 53-year-old is being courted by Barack Obama’s Democrat party who want him to run for office in the 2018 race.

As the Mirror exclusively revealed last month George is planning to launch his new career after he ties the knot with British lawyer Amal Alamuddin, 36, in September, following an eight-month romance.

Friends say the stunning human rights barrister, who represented WikiLeaks' Julian Assange, initially wants to continue her career in London but is happy to move to America to support her soon-to-be husband’s blossoming political career.

The couple have been hurriedly looking at potential wedding venues and have identified Venice as their number one choice so far for an Autumn ceremony.

George already counts Obama as a good friend and four months ago was the President’s guest for a screening of his latest movie, The Monuments Men, at the White House.

The actor flew Amal to Washington for the special reception where witnesses said they were “stuck like glue together” throughout the night.

"They were holding hands," said Harry Ettlinger, 88, one of the World War II soldiers whose efforts to recover stolen art from the Nazis inspired the film.

If George was successful in gaining victory in California it would put him on course to follow Ronald Reagan’s lead, who after becoming governor of the Golden State, was voted in to the White House.

If the Oscar winner eventually won the 2020 race for the Presidency it would see Amal installed as the only British First Lady in history.

A friend said: “George is hugely popular with the Democrats and where better a place to put him than as the Governor of California the home of Hollywood.

“It has always been a huge stronghold for the party and one that has a proven record for getting politicians in to the Oval office

“Now that Amal is by his side it has boosted his credentials even higher.

“She is as far removed as some of the girls he has previously dated and possesses incredible intelligence that bodes well if she ever does become First Lady.

“It would certainly add a new meaning to the “special relationship” between Britain and America.”

Previously George has been a huge supporter of campaigns by the Democratic Party and rallied for Obama at the 2012 election to ensure the President was successful in securing a second term in office.

He is an ardent campaigner for human rights and has personally funded his own drone spying missions to report war atrocities and human rights violations in Syria to the US government.

He was once arrested outside the Sudanese Embassy after a planned protest over Darfur.

That year George ruled out running for president and said: "There's a guy in office who is smarter than anybody. I have no interest."

His spokesperson has refused to comment on his ambitions to enter politics however friends close to the star say he has turned down several long-term projects in Hollywood to ensure he remains free to pursue his goal.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/george-clooney-set-follow-arnold-3699216#ixzz35044SNjk
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline raml

There are a lot of women who don't think Clooney a hunk. I never have and I clearly don't like his politics. There are women with brains in California I hope and vote not about looks but about issues. Even Brad Pitt turns my stomach these days and he unlike Clooney is a hunk. I do like Brad's mom though his dad not so much living in Missouri we know what his father and Brad were like and it isn't pretty.

Offline speekinout

Whoops - where did I get the idea they said Reagan, not Schwartzenegger? Forget I said anything.  :chairbang:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:32:52 pm by speekinout »

Offline Carling

Brad Pitt is a closet Republican.  It's why he had to spend ~$100m of his own money on WWZ.  He's being Mel Gibsoned. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline raml

I was talking about his old drug habit and he had one both he and his father. I live in Joplin and know people who are very close to them. I wasn't talking about his politics he and Angie are a lot more conservative than they play at. He is pretty straight now but when he was younger and still with Jennifer he wasn't.

rangerrebew

There are a lot of women who don't think Clooney a hunk. I never have and I clearly don't like his politics. There are women with brains in California I hope and vote not about looks but about issues. Even Brad Pitt turns my stomach these days and he unlike Clooney is a hunk. I do like Brad's mom though his dad not so much living in Missouri we know what his father and Brad were like and it isn't pretty.

In this day and age, its all about name recognition and how you look on TV.  Today, Abraham Lincoln could not get elected.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
There should be no wonder left as to why Kallyfornea is so dysfunctional.  When someone like Clooney has a real chance among the voters of being elected Gubnor the problem is made crystal clear.....

:smokin:

Offline mountaineer

Will George Clooney run for office?
By Derrick Bryson Taylor, NY Post
June 25, 2014 | 10:39am
George Clooney may be ready to take his interest in politics to the next level.

The Oscar winner, 53, is seriously contemplating running for governor of California, Us Weekly reports.

“George has been talking to politicians about running for years,” said an insider.

The “Monuments Men” star, who counts President Obama as a pal, would like to ultimately become a senator.

“George has said his ultimate goal is to become a US senator, but he knows he would have to hold a position like governor first,” the source adds.

A friend of Clooney’s predicts a 2018 run, saying, “He has good ideas that he wants to implement.”

Clooney famously claimed he couldn’t run for office because of his past: “I’ve slept with too many women, I’ve done too many drugs and I’ve been to too many parties.”

But while he may want to run the state of California, he’s been eyeing a French love nest for himself and bride-to-be Amal Alamuddin, as well as a home in London.
Slept with too many women?   :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org