Author Topic: Feinstein urges ‘direct action’ to keep rebels from capturing Baghdad  (Read 438 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/209632-feinstein-urges-direct-action-to-keep-rebels-from-capturing-baghdad

Feinstein urges ‘direct action’ to keep rebels from capturing Baghdad

By Kristina Wong - 06/17/14 02:11 PM EDT

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) on Tuesday said the U.S. must take “direct” military action against an Islamic extremist group marching on Baghdad and called for Iraq’s president to step down.

"I think most important is that we take direct action now against ISIS [the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria], marching down to Baghdad, and prevent them from getting into Baghdad," the Senate Intelligence chairwoman said.

Feinstein said she was “in communication” with the White House and CIA Director James Clapper. Asked if drone or air strikes could be an element of any action, she responded they “could be, absolutely.”

ISIS, a Sunni al-Qaeda-linked group, has captured key cities in Iraq, including Mosul, Tikrit and Tal Afar, and are near Baghdad, raising worries that the government of President Nouri al-Maliki could lose the capital.

The lightning advance has caused alarm for the White House over the prospect of losing a country U.S. troops fought in for almost a decade and sparked fears of a sectarian civil war between Sunnis and the majority Shia government.

Feinstein said Maliki should go, saying he had failed to create a broad representative government that included the minority Sunni population.

"I think it's most important that the Maliki government be replaced, and that includes Mr. Maliki with a reconciliation government," she said. "Based on all I've heard, read and know, Mr. Maliki is not able to bring about reconciliation in that country.

"So you need the political strategy, you need the military strategy,” said Feinstein. “Hopefully that's going to be forthcoming.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
There are no good guys left in Iraq.  What DiFi is proposing is what has been described as "acting as Iran's Air Force".  As irrational as it may sound, Obama has gotten the US into the position of being allied with our former enemy, Iran, against one of our former strongest allies, Saudi Arabia, with all of it taking place next to and within the borders of Syria, who is embroiled in the fourth year of their civil war.

The time for direct action was back when Obama walked away from a failed SOFA in Iraq and began the long slide to where we are now.

What you are seeing in Iraq right now is what can be accurately described as the "Joe Biden Doctrine".  Biden pushed the idea of partitioning Iraq from the beginning, and his many comments on this subject are but one of the foreign policy opinions former Defense Secretary Bob Gates described Biden as being wrong about over the last forty years.

The next thing to watch out for is the Turkish Army to descend upon Kurdish Iraq as soon as they declare themselves an independent Kurdish Republic.  Turkey will not stand for it as they consider all Kurds to be terrorists and they will move against Turkish and Iraqi ethnic Kurds with extreme prejudice.

:smokin:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:12:05 pm by Chieftain »

Oceander

"I think it's most important that the Maliki government be replaced, and that includes Mr. Maliki with a reconciliation government," she said. "Based on all I've heard, read and know, Mr. Maliki is not able to bring about reconciliation in that country.

Oh yes, I'm quite sure they have the time and resources to set up an election for his replacement right now.

Offline GourmetDan

Feinstein?  Isn't she uh, er, never mind...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan