Author Topic: Hillary: 'I Couldn't Break Faith With' The Military To Renounce My Iraq War Vote  (Read 497 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hillary-iraq-war-vote-explanation

DYLAN SCOTT – JUNE 16, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Explaining her hesitation to renounce her vote in favor of the Iraq War, Hillary Clinton said Monday that she didn't want to "break faith with" the U.S. military.

The remarks gave a little more context to Clinton's admission in her new book that voting for the Iraq War in 2002 was "wrong. Plain and simple."

Backtracking on the vote earlier would have been the "smart political decision," Clinton told a Toronto business group on Monday during her ongoing book tour. But she explained why she felt she couldn't.

The Nation published a video and transcript of her statement in front of the Toronto Board of Trade.

"I had this sense that I had voted for it, and we had all these young men and women over there, and it was a terrible battle environment," Clinton said. "I knew some of the young people who were there and I was very close to one Marine lieutenant who lead a mixed platoon of Americans and Iraqis in the first battle for Fallujah."

"So I felt like I couldn’t break faith with them," she continued. "Maybe that doesn’t make sense to anybody else but me, but that’s how I felt about it. So I kept temporizing and I kept avoiding saying it because I didn’t want there to be any feeling that I was backing off or undercutting my support for this very difficult mission in Iraq."

Clinton wrote in her new book that she "got it wrong" on Iraq with her 2002 vote. But she said on Monday that her apparent hesitation to recant the vote was not a political calculation.

"I kept trying to say, 'Well if we knew then what we know now it would not have ever come for a vote,' all of which was true, but just sort of avoided the fact of my saying, 'You know I just got it wrong, plain and simple. I made a mistake,'” she said. 'I thought a lot about that, because people said well -- 'You’re not saying you made a mistake for political reasons.'"

"Well, in fact, in the Democratic Party at that time, the smart political decision, as so many of my colleagues did, was to come out and say 'Terrible mistake, shouldn’t have done it,' and you know blame the Bush administration," she said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

A little historical note:

It was the Dems, including Hillary, who insisted on voting on Iraq BEFORE the mid-term elections, so that they could say they supported the war and get more votes.

It was a purely POLITICAL calculation on their parts to vote for the war.

No wonder Hillary is "hesitant" to tell the truth about her vote, why she made it, and why, when the political winds were blowing against the war, she called Bush a liar.

This woman is disgusting.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A little historical note:

It was the Dems, including Hillary, who insisted on voting on Iraq BEFORE the mid-term elections, so that they could say they supported the war and get more votes.

It was a purely POLITICAL calculation on their parts to vote for the war.

No wonder Hillary is "hesitant" to tell the truth about her vote, why she made it, and why, when the political winds were blowing against the war, she called Bush a liar.

This woman is disgusting.

Seems like yesterday when our *boys* were at Campbell doesn't it....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline musiclady

Seems like yesterday when our *boys* were at Campbell doesn't it....

Sure does.

And I will never forget how much your 'boy' did for mine.............who actually WAS a boy at the time.

Thank him again for me, would you?  :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sure does.

And I will never forget how much your 'boy' did for mine.............who actually WAS a boy at the time.

Thank him again for me, would you?  :patriot:

LOL..sure will... :seeya:
Support the USO