Author Topic: Kerry: We may welcome Iraq’s new Iranian overlords, or something; Update: White House reverses course  (Read 515 times)

Offline flowers

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/16/kerry-were-open-to-teaming-up-with-iran-on-iraq/

The US and Iran could team up to legitimize an Iranian military presence in Iraq, Secretary of State John Kerry told Katie Couric earlier today.  That’s a far cry from American policy over the past four decades, and a blow to US allies in the region, who have to be wondering just what Washington is thinking. Oliver Knox reports from the Couric interview, in which Kerry said the Obama administration would not rule anything out to prevent Iraq from being ripped apart:

“This is a challenge to the stability of the region. It is obviously an existential challenge to Iraq itself. This is a terrorist group,” Kerry told Yahoo News Global Anchor Katie Couric in an exclusive interview.

Prodded on whether the United States would consider cooperating militarily with Iran, Kerry replied: “Let’s see what Iran might or might not be willing to do before we start making any pronouncements.”

But “I think we are open to any constructive process here that could minimize the violence, hold Iraq together, the integrity of the country and eliminate the presence of outside terrorist forces that are ripping it apart,” the top U.S. diplomat told Couric.

“I wouldn’t rule out anything that would be constructive to providing real stability, a respect for the (Iraqi) constitution, a respect for the election process, and a respect for the Iraqi people to form a government that represents all of the interests of Iraq — not one sectarian group over another

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
If you found yourself next to a large piece of heavy machinery that was oscillating as wildly as the Obama "foreign policy", you would run as fast as you could to get as far away as possible before the whole thing came unglued and started hurling pieces in every direction.

:smokin:

Offline GourmetDan

I think the goal is to make statements to cover every possible outcome so they have something to point to and say "See, we were right."

Everything else goes down the memory hole at the appropriate time...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

I think the goal is to make statements to cover every possible outcome so they have something to point to and say "See, we were right."

Everything else goes down the memory hole at the appropriate time...
I think you are correct. They do with every single event it seems.