Author Topic: Faith in film: Why science-fiction movies abound with religious themes  (Read 556 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Kandra Polatis
Deseret News National
April 6, 2014

In "Man of Steel," the most recent Superman film, when Superman's parents send their son away from their dying planet to save his life, his mom worries he will not be accepted on Earth because he is an alien to the planet.

"He will be an outcast. They'll kill him," his mother says.

"How? He'll be a god to them," says his father, Jor-El, who believes Superman will be an ideal Earth's inhabitants will strive to reach.
More

Offline PzLdr

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."  -  Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline GourmetDan

""How? He'll be a god to them," says his father, Jor-El, who believes Superman will be an ideal Earth's inhabitants will strive to reach."

Of course, the -El in Jor-El is a reference to Elohim, the creator-judge masculine plural name of God.

The El is the root of the name and is often incorporated into Jewish names such as Daniel, Ariel, Ezekiel, etc or in other names of God such as El Shaddai or Immanuel.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I often wonder what the reaction will be when the first sentient beings not of the Earth make an appearance.  Or when we finally get to Mars, they discover the remains of the long-dead Martians.

I recommend Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama" as a good place to start.....

:pondering: