Author Topic: HALL OF FAMER, FORMER SAN DIEGO PADRES PLAYER TONY GWYNN DEAD AT 54  (Read 1317 times)

Offline flowers

Offline flowers

Padres legend Tony Gwynn dies at 54

http://www.cbs8.com/story/25787066/padres-legend-tony-gwynn-dies-at-54

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - The San Diego Padres confirm this morning that baseball legend Tony Gwynn has died.

The 54-year-old has been battling oral cancer for four years and has been plagued with additional health issues over the past several months.

Known as "Mr. Padre," he played 20 seasons for the Padres and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007.

We are terribly sad to say goodbye to our teammate, our friend and a legend, Tony Gwynn. Rest in peace, Mr. Padre.
    — San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 16, 2014

Online Lando Lincoln

Wow.

Rest in Peace.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
A great player...with a funny build for a great player...particularly in the era he played in.  RIP to a spectacular natural hitter.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
54 is too young!

A great talent!  RIP!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

54 is too young!

A great talent!  RIP!

RIP to one of the greats of his time!!  Such a shame to see him go so damn early....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:54:24 pm by katzenjammer »

Online Lando Lincoln

I posted this (or similar) on the Obituary thread:

434 strike-outs in 9,288 at-bats.  Amazing stat.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

I used to love to hear him laugh.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I posted this (or similar) on the Obituary thread:

434 strike-outs in 9,288 at-bats.  Amazing stat.

Yeah....they're scrolling a graphic right now....saying in contrast, Adam Dunn has struck out 486 times in just under 1500 ABs.....since 2012.   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

He used to do commercials for El Cajon Ford. the dealership was a few miles from my house.  Truly a great player.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: HALL OF FAMER, FORMER SAN DIEGO PADRES PLAYER TONY GWYNN DEAD AT 54
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:35:02 pm »
One of the greatest natural athletic talents of our times. And a decent guy as well.

He had a genetic predisposition to carry a lot of weight. I've known a few such people.

Back during my marathon running days, I had such a friend. He could complete a 26 mile marathon in well under 3.5 hours, despite his little pot belly. I had a rotund drill sergeant in infantry training, and he could run the skinny soldiers into the ground, puking out their guts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Re: HALL OF FAMER, FORMER SAN DIEGO PADRES PLAYER TONY GWYNN DEAD AT 54
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »
One of the greatest natural athletic talents of our times. And a decent guy as well.

He had a genetic predisposition to carry a lot of weight. I've known a few such people.

Back during my marathon running days, I had such a friend. He could complete a 26 mile marathon in well under 3.5 hours, despite his little pot belly. I had a rotund drill sergeant in infantry training, and he could run the skinny soldiers into the ground, puking out their guts.
I always loved to hear him in the padre booth. I loved to hear him laugh.