Author Topic: KFC throwing out 3-year-old with facial scars proved to be a HOAX  (Read 1883 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A little girl left with a scarred face after being attacked by a pit bull was thrown out of a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi, after an employee said her face was 'scaring the other diners'.

The family of three-year-old Victoria Wilcher were left horrified after they were asked to leave the establishment because of the appearance of the toddler.

The family shared their anger on a Facebook page entitled Victoria's Victories.

'Does this face look scary to you?' reads the posting. 'Last week at KFC in Jackson MS this precious face was asked to leave because her face scared the other diners.'

Victoria Wilcher, 3, was mauled by three pit bulls in the backyard of her grandfather's home in Simpson County, Mississippi. Last week, she was asked to leave a KFC in Jackson because her facial injuries were 'scaring other diners'
+8

Victoria Wilcher, 3, was mauled by three pit bulls in the backyard of her grandfather's home in Simpson County, Mississippi. Last week, she was asked to leave a KFC in Jackson because her facial injuries were 'scaring other diners'

The KFC location, in Jackson, Mississippi, where the Wilcher and her grandmother were asked to leave. KFC has apologized for the incident, and says that they are investigating the incident

The dogs then dragged the little girl outside into the backyard, where they continued to maul her before her grandfather, Donald Mullins, and his girlfriend, Rita Tompkins, attempted to stop the carnage. The dogs then attacked their owners, causing Mullins to shoot them. Two of the dogs were killed.

Wilcher was rushed to the emergency room. She suffered a shattered top and bottom jaw, broken cheekbones and eyesockets, and a broken nose. According to the first posting on Victoria's Victories, Wilcher lost her right eye, and lost the ability to move the right side of her face.

Mullins and Tompkins were arrested on charges of child endangerment. The eight surviving pit bulls the pair owned were seized by Animal Control officers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658062/Does-face-look-scary-three-year-old-facial-injuries-mauled-pit-bull-THROWN-KFC-scaring-diners.html

:nometalk: I don't eat their fried sludge anyway. But no way will I bother with them now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

Re: KFC throwing out 3-year-old with facial scars proved to be a HOAX
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:47 pm »
How awful.They should have embraced that poor little girl with open arms. The horror she has been thru now this.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »

:nometalk: I don't eat their fried sludge anyway. But no way will I bother with them now.

Its not the same chicken I remember as a kid when we would hoop and holler when dad brought a bucket home. Now my family turns up our noses when we mention buying chicken from KFC. The Colonel would not recognize the place.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:41 pm »
IT WAS A HOAX!
Big surprise.
Hoax? Little girl getting kicked out of KFC for facial scars was reportedly faked
By: TheIndyChannel.com Staff, The Laurel Leader-Call
Posted: 7:39 AM, Jun 24, 2014 
Updated: 2 mins ago

JACKSON, Miss. - The story of a badly disfigured 3-year-old being asked to leave a Mississippi KFC was reportedly all made up by her family in an attempt to bilk KFC of money.

As the Laurel Leader-Call reports, sources with deep knowledge of the investigation said the accusations from the girl's family just aren't adding up.

The allegation was made recently on "Victoria's Victories," a Facebook page following Victoria Wilcher's recovery from a pit bull attack in April. Photos show her facial scars and cartoon-decorated eye patch.

KFC posted an apology on the page, requesting details.

KFC Corp. began investigating the allegations that the KFC employee in Jackson, Mississippi, asked the girl to leave a restaurant because her facial injuries frightened other patrons. A spokesman says KFC is giving $30,000 toward her medical bills.

But now, sources say investigators have reviewed surveillance footage at the KFC locations involved in the allegation. Investigators said neither Victoria nor her grandmother (reportedly with her at the time) appeared on the surveillance videos on the day they said the "brush off" happened.

Another issue: The family claimed they ordered things from the KFC... that KFC says were never ordered that day. Investigators confirmed this by checking store records.

Spokesman Rick Maynard told The Associated Press that the donation will be made regardless of what the investigation finds.  ...
Read the rest at TheIndyChannel
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:36:37 pm »
It's no wonder many of us have become wary of anyone claiming victim status and whining for money.

More from the Laurel Leader-Call:
... After it went viral, employees and managers at both Jackson locations have faced death threats, have had drinks thrown at them through the drive-thru window and have faced constant verbal harassment, the source confirmed. One employee told the Leader-Call on June 20 that it was the first day since the firestorm erupted that he would wear his KFC work shirt in public. ...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:47:57 pm »
More than just the KFC donation.

According to the paper, the family is responsible for "bilking the public and professionals for more than $135,000 in cash, as well as gifts and free surgeries."

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25853969/reports-girl-kicked-out-of-kfc-over-scars-was-a-hoax

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:55:35 pm »
HOAX

DESPICABLE

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:02:53 pm »
Sorry, folks.

I cross checked it with three different sources. One of those that slips through from time to time.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »
IF this version of the story is correct, kudos to KFC for going ahead to pay $30,000 for the child's medical expense.  None of this is the child's fault and she's going to need a lot of reconstructive surgery. 

Having said that, I hope the KFC sues the grandmother for damages.  (Of course, as they say - you can't get blood out of a turnip.)

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 01:12:13 pm »
Sorry, folks.

I cross checked it with three different sources. One of those that slips through from time to time.
No worries.  It took a while before the truth to be uncovered, EC.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
Sorry, folks.

No one knew until it looks like late yesterday when KFC checked their security cameras and receipts and saw the family was never there.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »
 **nononono*

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
**nononono*
Yep. People - they're the worst!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 10:24:41 pm »
JACKSON, Miss. -- Fried chicken chain KFC said a franchised restaurant in Mississippi has hired an investigator to look into claims that an employee asked a 3-year-old girl and family members to leave because injuries she suffered in a pit bull mauling disturbed customers. Meanwhile, a local newspaper, citing unnamed sources, reported that the family made up the whole story.

KFC spokesman Rick Maynard said the company is concerned that the Jackson, Mississippi, restaurant's internal investigation couldn't verify the incident. An outside investigator will conduct an independent investigation, Maynard said.

"Along with our franchisee, we remain determined to get to the truth and address the situation appropriately," Maynard told CBS News in a statement.
KFC's commitment of $30,000 to help with the child's medical bills will not be affected by the investigation's outcome, Maynard said.

Allegations that Victoria Wilcher was asked to leave the restaurant were made earlier this month on the Facebook site Victoria's Victories, which has followed the child's recovery from the attack. KFC posted an apology the next morning and asked for details of the alleged incident.

Teri Rials Bates, the child's aunt, runs the Victoria's Victories site.

A posting Tuesday at Victoria's Victories denied the claim was a hoax.

"I promise it's not a hoax, I never thought any of this would blow up the way it has," the post said.

"I have personally watched this family go without to provide for Victoria. They have not and would not do anything to hurt Victoria in any way," the posting said.

No one immediately responded to a message seeking comment that was sent through the Facebook page.

The Laurel Leader-Call, citing unnamed sources, reported that the family made up the story. The newspaper reported that KFC surveillance video did not show any children that looked like Wilcher on the day of the alleged incident.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »
Listening to this topic on the  Michael Medved show on the drive home. So far no proof has been found that this ever happened, and the location of the KFC the family first gave has been closed for some time. Other area stores have been reviewing video tape and still no incident was recorded and no employee recalls this happening in their store. OK, there is always a chance that the hoax stories now all over the web are a hoax, and that the video ended up in the same black hole IRS Emails go, but the burden of proof is on the supposed victims, no matter how sad and pathetic their story is.

Also a lesson for all of us. We are so use to living in a victimization society that without question, and without proof we rally around the "victim", especially if the accused is big business or the police.   

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:42 pm »
Hours after a Mississippi family reassured the public Tuesday that their story of a little 3-year-old disfigured girl getting kicked out of a Jackson KFC was true, the fast food giant confirmed that two different investigations proved it was a hoax....

But KFC, who pledged $30,000 to the girl’s family for her care, easily debunked the tall tale, finding, for example, that Mullins and little Victoria never set foot in a Jackson KFC on May 15, much less were kicked out.

One investigation was carried out by KFC, while a third party did a more thorough review.

“Neither revealed any evidence that the incident occurred and we consider the investigation closed,” KFC said in a statement Tuesday afternoon.

The family had earlier posted on a Facebook page dedicated to tracking the girl’s recovery that the story was not a hoax.

“It is not over until KFC releases a statement,” the family wrote.

But after KFC closed the case, the family dismantled the Facebook page and could not be reached for comment.

And the gofundme.com campaign page for the girl was suspended and refunds offered to those who had donated, CNN reported.

"In lieu of the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the 'Victoria's Victories' online fundraising effort, GoFundMe has temporarily suspended the campaign until the full truth is made clear," ....

KFC says it will donate $30,000 to little Victoria, despite the fact the investigation found the ejection claim to be a hoax.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kfc-confirms-employee-kick-disfigured-girl-3-restaurant-article-1.1842831

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
KFC says it will donate $30,000 to little Victoria, despite the fact the investigation found the ejection claim to be a hoax.

I'm of two minds on this:  on the one hand it's a very generous, good thing for KFC to do; the little girl herself is not to blame for the hoax; on the other hand, it does end up rewarding the adults who callously used this little girl to essentially blackmail KFC.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:53 pm »
What a pack of douches!!!  They're nothing but professional moochers.

I knew a woman like this.  In fact, I fell for her story that she had cancer and was undergoing chemotherapy.  Her car broke down and I paid the entire bill....it was a LOT. 

I found out a month later that she didn't have cancer and was, in fact, anorexic, bringing all her many ailments on herself. And, of course, she had moved on to other suckers.

I give my charity money to dog rescues these days. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 07:05:42 pm »
Family turns down KFC's $30k donation to scarred girl who was allegedly asked to leave restaurant
Eric Pfeiffer
1 hour ago
Yahoo News

The family of a 3-year-old girl who was allegedly asked to leave a KFC restaurant because her facial scars were “upsetting” other customers has turned down a $30,000 donation offered by the fast-food chain.

In an earlier interview, KFC told Yahoo News it was committed to making the donation toward Victoria Wilcher’s recovery, even after  two independent investigations concluded that the alleged incident never occurred.

However, a lawyer representing family members said they have decided to decline the donation.

“We just didn't feel right about accepting their money," the family’s attorney, Bill Kellum, said in an interview with the Clarion-Ledger. "But we did tell them they were more than welcome to donate the money to the Frank Stile Foundation."

Stile, a plastic surgeon, has agreed to pay for Wilcher’s surgery without charge. His foundation helps raise money to provide medical procedures and other services for children in need.

Another Florida surgeon has agreed to create a plastic eye for the young girl. Meanwhile, the crowdfunding site GoFundMe said it was close to releasing more than $100,000 in donations that have been raised for Wilcher’s recovery.

“The family is committed to having the money put in a discretionary trust account for Victoria with a third-party, non-family member designated as the trustee," Kellum told the Clarion-Ledger. "They want to make sure every cent goes toward Victoria getting better."

Wilcher was severely injured in April when several pit bulls belonging to her grandfather, Donald Mullins, attacked the girl.

After returning from the hospital, Wilcher’s grandmother said she took the young girl to a KFC in Jackson, Miss., to get mashed potatoes and sweet tea. However, Kelly Mullins claims employees at the restaurant asked her and her granddaughter to leave the establishment.

“They just told us, ‘We have to ask you to leave because her face is disrupting our customers,’" Mullins said in an interview at the time. "[Victoria] understood exactly what they said."

KFC immediately apologized to the family and said it would pay for two independent investigations into the alleged incident. It also pledged to donate $30,000 toward Victoria’s physical recovery, regardless of the outcome of those investigations.

According to KFC, the subsequent investigations cast doubt upon the grandmother’s claims. It said that the pair was not seen in any surveillance video taken at the store and that no orders were placed for the combination of mashed potatoes and sweet tea on the day the incident allegedly occurred.

Although Mullins has stood by her story, the family became the object of criticism after doubt was cast on her story.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 05:47:27 am »
You can bet it was on a lawyers advice that they don't accept the money.  KFC has a huge libel case if they choose to have their team of lawyers go after this family. I don't think KFC will, not needing that kind of publicity.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 06:07:39 am »
Maybe the actual parents are just genuinely good people? Since Victoria's surgery is already assured, that 30k can go to helping someone else in need.

The grandparents sound like colossal dicks though. Both of them.