Author Topic: Congressional Committee Just Voted To Kill The A-10-And Endanger Troops Lives  (Read 358 times)

SPQR

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Of course they killed off the Warthog. It's the very definition of up close and personal air support, the nearest thing a plane can be to a helicopter gunship.

The modern Defense Department does not like up close and personal. Actually getting your hands dirty is icky, and why bother with an expensive gun that some lunatic attached wings to when you can use cheap ass drones from your air conditioned comfort a few thousand miles away from any personal danger.

They, of course, miss the point. You don't send a Warthog in to deal with terrorists. You send one in to deal with terrorists when some of your own are in harms way - and an A-10 coming in at about 20 feet, full throttle, completely ignoring anything below a rocket or 125 mm shell bothering it, then opening up that massive gun and basically removing most of a hillside in one aimed pass -  it is totally bleep terrifying. It scares the crap out of the GOOD guys, for God's sake!

Hopefully, some creative accounting and requisitioning will be used to keep most of them flying until we got an adult back in the Defense seat. If there is a time to evade orders, now is it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rather annoyingly, I wrote an entire email to Rep Rogers, before finding I can not sent it to him without a zip code. Since my zip is usually unlocked, I don't have one of those. If anyone would care to forward it to him - be my guest.

Dear Rep. Rogers.

I never write to a congressman, since I am not a US citizen. But this time I must, as one of the thousands of allied servicemen still breathing and with intact limbs (mostly) thanks to the total lunatics who fly the A-10.

While I understand you rightly need to keep a close eye on costs, and thank God you take that task seriously, I would like to comment on something you may have not considered.

The A-10 is not just a close air support craft. Having one of them shoot past at full throttle, about 20 feet up, then opening up with that massive gun, is totally terrifying. And that is just to friendly forces! To the poor souls facing a literal hail of lead from a very ugly Fury, well, lets just say they suddenly remember urgent appointments on the other side of the country.

One of the first things you learn when fighting terrorists is their own weapon of choice works just as well on them. Having drones is fine. They are effective for both surveillance and surgical strikes on known targets. They are not terribly good in an actual firefight situation.

The failure of the B-1 in a close combat situation was sadly illustrated by this week's friendly fire tragedy. They fly too high and move too fast to be effective in targeting. An Apache can do much of what the A-10 can, only more slowly. You know the cynical saying "When seconds count, the police are minutes away?" Not a nice feeling when you are pinned by a bunch of good shots who have the high ground.

I know you can not alter the vote. I just felt moved to let you know that, this once, the cost savings are in the wrong place.

P.S. - Some argue the A-10 is old. I fly helicopter gunships (usually Russian made - blending in to the background is a great way to make it to pension age) into combat, which were built in the 70's.

My regards to you, and my respect for what you do.

MM. (HMAF(A), detatched)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf