Author Topic: Sudan bombing South Kordofan civilians - US  (Read 360 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sudan bombing South Kordofan civilians - US
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:51 am »
The United States has accused Sudan of stepping up its attacks on civilians in South Kordofan and Blue Nile states.

Samantha Power, the American ambassador to the UN, condemned the attacks in which she said schools and hospital had been deliberately targeted.

Ms Power said since April Sudanese aircraft had dropped hundreds of barrel bombs on towns and villages.

More than a million people are reported to have been displaced by fighting between government forces and rebels.

Sudan's ambassador to the UN did not respond to the comments.

Earlier this week aid agencies wrote to the UN Security Council, African Union and the Arab League demanding an end to attacks on civilians by the Sudanese government.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27827780
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

Re: Sudan bombing South Kordofan civilians - US
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »
Sudan of stepping up its attacks on civilians in South Kordofan and Blue Nile states

I forget who are the players in this one?  Sudan  Muzzy?   the civillians not muzzy? I am confused if the state dept is mad at Sudan then those doing this aren't muzzy?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Sudan bombing South Kordofan civilians - US
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »
It's another one of those "It's complicated" things.

In general, you can assume it is Muslim vs Christian vs old religion (sort of a mix of animism, protective spirits and ancestor worship. You got to be born into it to have the vaguest clue, and I am not sure it applies even then.) So far, so complex.

Then you have the tribal aspects. Most tribes are not monolithic - they'll contain a mix of the various religions, and you can move tribes with relative ease by marriage, physical movement (if you are wealthy enough) or economic status. A lot of the so called "tribes" in central Afrique are more economic than separate blood lines (Hutu and Tutsi in Rwanda were a prime example - thanks Belgium). It gets messy fast.

Say you are in the top tier of the top tribe. Who is trying to pull you down? Another tribal faction of a different religion? One of your own tribal factions? A different tribe of the same religion? Alliances shift with every marriage. It gets confusing, so the rule of thumb is to kill your enemies and watch your friends VERY closely.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink