Author Topic: The End of Iraq Changing Maps in the Mideast by Ross Douthat  (Read 190 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

SPQR

Re: The End of Iraq Changing Maps in the Mideast by Ross Douthat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
We are living in the legacy of the Sykes-Picot treaty. For those who do not know, the Sykes-Picot Treaty signed between Russia,Great Britain and France. They were to divide the Middle East regardless of ethnic boundaries. The Russians backed out of the deal because they were having their own problems at home. The British was mainly to get the coastal strip including Jordan and the River Jordan. The French  was allocated control of south-eastern Turkey, northern Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. There were no geographical reference points to draw the lines of the maps like in Europe, just endless miles of sand. So what they did is drew the map across ethnic lines not thinking that this might have some problems in the future.At some point, it what is called the Balfor Agreement, the Jews were promised a permanent homeland. There was a very big Zionist movement here in the United States and in England.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:56:10 PM by Trigger »

SPQR

Re: The End of Iraq Changing Maps in the Mideast by Ross Douthat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
We are living in the legacy of the Sykes-Picot treaty. For those who do not know, the Sykes-Picot Treaty signed between Russia,Great Britain and France. They were to divide the Middle East regardless of ethnic boundaries. The Russians backed out of the deal because they were having their own problems at home. The British was mainly to get the coastal strip including Jordan and the River Jordan. The French  was allocated control of south-eastern Turkey, northern Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. There were no geographical reference points to draw the lines of the maps like in Europe, just endless miles of sand. So what they did is drew the map across ethnic lines not thinking that this might have some problems in the future.At some point, it what is called the Balfor Agreement, the Jews were promised a permanent homeland. There was a very big Zionist movement here in the United States and in England.

I know about this because I wrote about it in my military university thesis.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf