Author Topic: What Obama Has Wrought in Iraq  (Read 358 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What Obama Has Wrought in Iraq
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:34:46 pm »
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/06/13/iraq-falls-apart-to-isis-after-obama-withdrawal?src=usn_fb

What Obama Has Wrought in Iraq
Iraq and the Middle East are spiraling toward disaster thanks to Obama's decisions.
By Danielle Pletka June 13, 2014 | 12:35 p.m. EDT

When Barack Obama was first elected, it was in no small part a reaction to what Americans perceived as failed or unnecessary wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The president, once elected, expended vast quantities of oxygen bemoaning the burdensome legacy his predecessor had bequeathed him. Repairing relations with the Muslim world, restoring American prestige abroad: Remember that?

Pulling out of Iraq was just another part of what the president saw as a campaign promise kept. He said, “Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq. We did. I promised to refocus on the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11. And we have.”

My how the tables have turned. The terrorists who attacked us and other like-minded groups are doing very well, thank you. And the Middle East is in a state of collapse. But during the entire unfolding of the so-called Arab Spring, the Obama administration was AWOL, disengaged from supporting U.S. interests, U.S. allies or U.S. values. As a result, al-Qaida and related groups have spread across the region like a cancer, preying on weak states, ungoverned areas and conflict zones. And one such place is Iraq.

When the United States fled Iraq in 2011, the country was stable, reasonably integrated, and on the road to new prosperity and unprecedented freedom. As the troops left, however, the Obama administration also yanked other less visible supports for the new Baghdad government. Counterterrorism and intelligence cooperation ended for all intents and purposes. Vigilance about Sunni-Shiite cooperation also ended. Rather, the White House reposed all of its “Iraq strategy” in one man, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Maliki is neither the devil his enemies would have us believe nor the angel the White House adored for years. Rather, he is a weak leader in the Arab mold, ready to make hard choices only when he is certain there are no easier ones to make first. And so, when the United States had a robust involvement in Iraq, he spoke to the nation, united disparate sects and followed a more democratic line. Once the U.S. vanished, he turned to the other power broker on the scene, Iran. The resulting wedge between Shiites and Sunni has been disastrous for the nation and for its military, which can do little to defend against extremists.

And so we come to the unravelling of the post-Saddam Iraq that the United States helped build. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (variously, ISIS or ISIL) is on the march. It is well trained from the conflict in Syria, well-armed by friends of al-Qaida in the Gulf, and it has tossed the Iraqi government from Mosul, the country’s second largest city, from Tikrit, in the Sunni heartland, and is headed for Baghdad.

This was far from inevitable, but Obama’s choice to walk away from the Middle East sealed the fate of Iraq and too many others. Now faced with disaster, the administration is scrambling to at once appear engaged without doing anything. In Syria, this is virtually impossible, as the myriad of groups battling for and against President Bashar Assad mean that even if Obama belatedly chooses to arm certain among them, there will no clean conclusion to the chaotic war that has killed close on 200,000 people.

As far as Iraq is concerned, the administration has again been determined to ignore pleas for assistance from Baghdad for months. The White House is reportedly mulling some limited support, but as with Syria, delays will mean that terrorists gain ground and regaining it will be all the more challenging. The very least that could happen is a willingness to share intelligence and reconnaissance information about ISIS fighters traveling from Syria to Iraq, drone strikes that are similar to the ones the Obama team so like in Yemen and Pakistan, and a resumption of training for the Iraqi military. Will that happen? Who knows.

The term that Barack Obama prefers to victory is to “end” wars “responsibly”. How did that happen in Iraq? And who will be responsible when the Americans and Europeans and Arabs and Asians of al-Qaida and ISIS finish with Iraq and Syria and turn their attention to the American homeland?

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: What Obama Has Wrought in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »
It will be a while before they turn their attention to the US homeland.  I think it is much more likely that one of these groups will eventually get their hands on a nuclear warhead and detonate it with a suicide bomber.  I doubt anyone in the whole Levant outside of Israel has the capability to detect nuclear material in transit, and a truck with a nuclear warhead in it could penetrate into just about any city in the whole area.

Scares me to death.  We're heading for a nuclear brush war because of the withdrawal of the US from the World leadership role we had since the end of WWII.  We put a lot of blood and treasure into Iraq and while it did not go perfectly, things were getting better until Obama came along.  He refused to do his duty and insist that al Malaki agree to a SOFA, instead Obama just gave up, walked away, and used that opportunity as a good excuse to completely withdraw from Iraq, creating a massive power vacuum being filled by the violence we see today.

Obama will stand by and yap until the first nuke goes off, then he will yap some more while the second, third, and fourth go off as well.....

:smokin:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
I wish we had a GOP statesman caliber leader, to call Obama on his failures--and to command national media attention.

I don't mean new Senators. I mean people with decades of involvement on a substantive national level.

Cheney comes to mind.  He knows what to say, so I will refrain from trying.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »
they already have a hold on the homeland....in this white house.