Author Topic: Is white bread actually good for you? Study says it helps increase gut bacteria  (Read 688 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/white-bread-increases-gut-bacteria-study-article-1.1827274#ixzz34chYgozF

by Meredith Engel
June 12, 2014

Long shunned in favor of its whole wheat counterpart, new research suggests that white bread might not be so bad for you after all.

Writing in the American Chemical Society's Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, scientists found that the carb seems to boost gut bacteria.
Having an abundance of such probiotics in the gut is good for warding off disease.

Sonia Gonzalez and her team asked 38 healthy adults about their diet and looked at bacteria present in their stool samples. They found that the presence of lactobacillus, a group of good bacteria, went up when the subjects had white bread.

But Keri Gans, a Manhattan nutritionist and the author of "The Small Change Diet," isn't going to start recommending white bread to her clients.

"I don't think these findings really change anything," she said. "One hundred percent whole grain bread is still a better health option. As for good bacteria, I would recommend low fat yogurt, which is also good source of protein, calcium and vitamin D. You need to look at the big picture."

Other ways to get the benefits of probiotics are by eating fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchi, or by taking a probiotic supplement.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
It goes contrary to my experience that eating bread increases my daily blood sugar, and if my blood sugar gets high enough I start getting infections easily.  I am a Type 2 diabetic, so I keep an eye on these things.  My understanding is that wrong kind of bacteria takes over when your body ph changes from too much sugar in your blood.  The good kind of bacteria normally rules the roost until this kind of stuff messes it up.  So bread, whether it be white or whole wheat doesn't do me right, but I am a diabetic, so it may be different for other people.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
And the recommendation to eat yogurt is good - that type of bacteria is good - except that I eat whole fat greek yogurt instead of low fat because when you take the fat out, you up the carbs.  It's not the fat that's the big problem, it's the sugar (carbs). 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Can't you see that they are simply trying to kill us off?   Geesh!!

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald