Author Topic: Live: Kate Middleton and Prince William to attend Trooping the Colour parade  (Read 531 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/live-trooping-colour-parade-attended-3692248

Normally don't give the Mirror the time of day, but they do this sort of thing well.

It's the Queen's official birthday. Trooping of the colours, and most importantly, the flypast.

We live on a hill, downstream from the city. Every year, like clockwork, the houses empty and we get the immense pleasure of watching the fly past heading over our heads at about 50 feet while doing final approach to the Palace.

The choppers this year were a nice touch - sending them in first. A Merlin (get in, bleep things up and get out again), 2 Pumas - both medevacs by the insignia, and a Chinook.

Then a DC3. Possibly the most uncomfortable plane ever made, but it hauls a massive amount and can stop on a dime and give you change.

Finally, the thing  we were all waiting for. One Lancaster bomber, flanked by a pair of Spitfires (the Hurricane that usually does the flight were apparently downchecked. You don't hear them coming. You feel them in your bones, especially flying that low. We all went mental. Jumping, cheering, waving flags. Got a flash of the landing lights from one of the Spits.  :laugh:

The rest of the fly past we saw from a distance, they had a flight path North of the river, so no Red Arrows this year for us.

A nice treat on a rainy Saturday!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Two questions:

Is Kate wearing a Summer dress?

Is it going to be windy?

:patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
She's wearing a rather pretty white dress - though the fabric looks heavy - and a really cute hat.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
She's wearing a rather pretty white dress - though the fabric looks heavy - and a really cute hat.

Best looking one yet!     :beer:

Princess Diane did nothing for me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Best looking one yet!     :beer:

Princess Diane did nothing for me.

I can understand Diana's selection. Pragmatically, she were a virgin, which is pretty rare here, especially among all girls school women  :beer: . Those were the days! In terms of genetics, she were a way to get out of genetic leveling - the tendency for two well above average parents to have average offspring. Breed an inbred (not his fault, I hasten to add) and an idiot, chances are you get something decent.

First try sort of got the brass ring. He picked up her looks, but also picked up her brains. Second attempt was more successful, though a little bit unrestrained. Lot more like his father, a charming rogue, bit of a jack the lad and scoundrel and generally good fun to be around.