Author Topic: The Frugal Recipe Thread.  (Read 7495 times)

Offline DCPatriot

Re: The Frugal Recipe Thread.
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Spenser's Sloppy Joes [5 STAR RATING]

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
4 hamburger buns, split
Barbecue sauce, for topping

Heat oil in a large skillet with straight sides. Add the bell peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the ground beef to the vegetables. Stir and cook about 8 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and fully cooked.

Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, and hot sauce into the skillet. Stir. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve on hamburger bun with extra sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/spensers-sloppy-joes-recipe/index.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
Zucchini Parmesan Bites.

Ingredients

4 medium, fresh zucchini, sliced in half
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 tablespoons fresh rosemary & thyme, minced
smidge of olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 350F, lightly brush both sizes of the zucchini with olive oil and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Mix cheese and herbs together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the zucchini along with salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 15 minutes and place under the broiler for the last 3-5 minutes until cheese is crispy and browned.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
DC's "Poor Man's Spaghetti"

*  olive oil  1/2 cup
*  fresh minced garlic  6 cloves
*  red pepper flakes
*  chopped parsley tops
*  3 - 4 eggs
*  Barilla thin spaghetti.

Sautee the garlic in the olive oil...don not let burn ....add red pepper flakes .and set aside

Prepare noodles

Prepare the eggs sunny side up

Drain all the water EXCEPT enough to keep noodles submerged.....add the olive oil mixture and the eggs.

Use a fork to break the yokes and shredded pieces will appear.   Add parsley.

Use a large bowl as opposed to a flat dinner plate and pour juice over your prepared entree.

Enjoy!

Used to eat this a couple of times a week....when mortgage interest rates were double digits.  LOL!

Reminds me of Pasta Olio a Aglio

Pasta
Olive oil
garlic

Toast the garlic in the olive oil

cover pasta with it.   TADA!!  Instant dinner.

If you have extra cash you can add veggies  (broccoli, yellow squash, whatever)  and meat  (fish or chicken)
Add capers if you like.   A dash of Balsamic vinegar is nice.   Grated cheese.   The possibilities are endless  :)

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
Oh, my! Making that for this evening, they'll be wonderful with my cheese dip!

Cheese dip:

1 small tub of creme fraiche. (You can use sour cream if you must)
3 anchovy fillets.
1 fat garlic clove.
1/2 chili pepper. (reduce it or skip it if you don't like a bit of heat)
As much stilton as you like.
1 Tbsp virgin olive oil.

Tip the ingredients in a blender. Blend briefly (you don't want to make butter!)
Move to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. Before serving, add some finely chopped chives and stir in well.

Why frugal? Stilton here is dirt cheap right after Christmas, and if you get the jars of Stilton, they keep in the fridge for 6 months or so, slowly getting stronger in taste.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

I buy Stilton cheese with the cranberries!  Every time I bring it out to serve, my company goes bonkers.

The tray looks like it was licked cleaned.   LOL!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
If you are up to doing a bit of fiddly prep work, try cubes of Stilton, with a dried pomegranate seed gently pressed in to each. Lovely flavor!

And, since this is still the frugal recipe thread - though now gourmet edition  :laugh:  :

Chicken Noodles.

2 chicken breasts.
1 lb mushrooms.
1/2 lb dried noodles. (I prefer buckwheat, but you can get away with using cooked spaghetti)
Any green veg - whatever is reduced at the supermarket. A tin of spinach, well drained, also works.
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
about an inch cube of ginger, grated (or 1/2 Tsp dry ginger)
1/2 chili (or to taste)
1/2 glass white wine
soy sauce
2 Tbsp Olive oil.

Dice the chicken.
Put the dried noodles in a bowl of warm water to soak.
Heat a Tbsp oil in a heavy pan, put in half of the garlic, ginger and chili. When the oil starts to pop slightly, add the chicken and fry for no more than two minutes, stirring constantly. The aim is a golden colour. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the rest of the oil, the rest of the garlic ginger and chili, then, when the pan is hot again put in the raw vegetables. Stir constantly on a high heat until the onions are golden and slightly transparent.
Add the chicken again, a dash of soy sauce and the wine and stir. (If you are using canned spinach, this is when it goes in).
Put the noodles on top, reduce the heat to low. cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix well once before serving.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
Oh, my! Making that for this evening, they'll be wonderful with my cheese dip!

Cheese dip:

1 small tub of creme fraiche. (You can use sour cream if you must)
3 anchovy fillets.
1 fat garlic clove.
1/2 chili pepper. (reduce it or skip it if you don't like a bit of heat)
As much stilton as you like.
1 Tbsp virgin olive oil.

Tip the ingredients in a blender. Blend briefly (you don't want to make butter!)
Move to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. Before serving, add some finely chopped chives and stir in well.

Why frugal? Stilton here is dirt cheap right after Christmas, and if you get the jars of Stilton, they keep in the fridge for 6 months or so, slowly getting stronger in taste.

I made the broccoli just now.   It really is amazing.

I sliced the pieces all long, and the floret got charred at the top...crunchy.  With the garlic..wow!

Am dipping them in a little Balsamic glaze sauce (Wegman's).

They're right...am eating the whole damned thing!   :beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
White Chili  (8 servings)
This is a great frugal recipe for a cold day!  A change from the usual red chili, every time I make it - it gets rave reviews!

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (or shredded cooked turkey or chicken is good and quick)

2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (sounds strange, but doesn't taste as good without it)

ground cayenne pepper to taste

ground white pepper to taste (I use regular black pepper, freshly ground)

3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans

5 cups chicken broth

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional, just as good without it)

Directions

In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic and ground turkey and saute for 10 minutes, or until turkey is well browned (if using cooked turkey or chicken, add after cooking the onion and garlic for awhile). Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper to taste and pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes.

Add two cans of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot. Take the third can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor (or I just mash the beans a bit with a fork while still in the can to avoid dirtying another appliance - this thickens the chili a bit, but isn't crucial.  If you choose to skip this step just add with the other two cans of beans). Add this to the pot along with the cheese. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt.  (I usually just garnish the chili with the cheese, if I use it at all.)

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
The Triple Meal

Grab yourself a chicken. They are dirt cheap if you don't mind factory farmed. Roast it.

We do three different types of roast chicken.
1/ Normal, which is stuffed with half an onion, some rosemary and a clove of garlic, and bacon laid on the breast. The bacon gets fought over. Bitterly.
2/ Savory, which is basted in a sweet paprika and white wine sauce as it cooks.
3/ Lemon, which has a citronette dressing applied frequently throughout the cooking.

In all three cases, the wings are cut off and put underneath the bird, along with whole cloves of garlic and two finely sliced onions. Need something to make the gravy with, after all. It's a roast dinner, and since the oven is on anyway, you may as well sling in some stuffing balls, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings to cook along with the bird.

When the dinner is over, peel off the rest of the chicken meat and pop it in the fridge. There will always be some meat left, no matter how ravenous the family. The carcase goes into the pressure cooker with a carrot, two sticks celery and one onion, halved. Add water to cover and cook it for 30 minutes. That will give you about 3 pints of chicken broth. Let it cool completely, skim it well and reheat the following day with stuffed pasta cooked in it for a filling meal. Serve with grated cheese and fine sliced herbs. Spinach works, though basil is better.

The remainder of the chicken meat can go into a curry. If there isn't much left, chicken salad is an option - the chicken bits, capers, olives, a boiled egg, mayonnaise to the texture you like and a 1/4 tsp dried mustard.

3 full meals. One chicken.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
Luis' Cuban Chicken Fricassee

1 small onion (diced in food processor)
4-6 substantial cloves of garlic (diced in with the onion)
4 carrots (peeled)
a few red bliss potatoes w/peels, quartered
3 tbs EVO
@2 lbs b/l, s/l chicken thighs
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white wine (I only use wine that I can drink while cooking, so that makes the recipe a bit more expensive than using "cooking wine")
1/2 cup chicken broth
1.5 tbs oregano
2 tsp cumin
2 bay leaves
Kosher salt (because it answers to a Higher Authority)

Sprinkle salt over chicken.
Heat large pot with high sides.
Pour EVO in heated pot.
Brown thighs (sounds Brazilian, doesn't it?)
Remove thighs from heat and set aside.
Saute onions and garlic in the same pot where you did the Brazilian thing to the thighs until "done", add a little more EVO if needed. Translucent onions is what I look for.
Add wine, broth, tomato sauce, oregano, cumin, bay leaves and a little S&P if you so desire to the pot. Stir to mix.
Return chicken and any juice in the holding pan to pot.
Throw in carrots (I cut them into 1.5" segments) and potatoes.
Cover pot and reduce temperature to MedLo.
Cook for @ 30 minutes, occasionally glancing in to make sure that the liquids do not boil out. If needed, add some broth along the way.
Serve over white rice (yes, potatoes and rice on the same plate... we're Cuban, what do you want from us?)

Serves @ 4... unless you have teenage boys.

Should work out to under $3 a serving.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:35:30 PM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
Ymmmm, I always get three meals out of a cooked chicken.  What I've been doing since I'm eating low-carb is using the homemade broth and leftover chicken meat to make different soups.  I've made two lately that are keepers.  I don't use a lot of recipes as far as being able to say exact quantities of things, I just throw in amounts until it tastes good to me.  Mostly I use recipes as inspiration!

The first is Lemon Chicken soup with chicken and minced garlic cloves sauteed in some butter, then add the broth and some chopped spinach or other assorted greens (I like chard, arugula, or even some different lettuce greens you like - it's a good way to use up some that are getting ready to go).  Cook until the spinach is wilted down good.  At the end add some heavy cream and heat through.  Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste.  A pretty garnish for this soup is lemon zest curls and some chiffonned greens.  This soup tastes light and delicate, but is very satisfying.

The second soup I'm still tweaking - it's a Curry Chicken soup.  Once again, saute chicken and minced garlic cloves (I use garlic in almost everything I cook - no vampire problem in our house!) in butter and add curry powder.  I make my own mix with ground cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander and crushed red pepper flakes (use whatever kind of curry mixture you like).  Once everything is incorporated and smells good, add chicken broth.  Then I throw whatever leftover vegetables I have in the fridge to the soup - heat through and then at the end I add heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.  I garnish this soup with chopped fresh cilantro.  I love this soup!

I'll add other soups when I get some new ideas.  This time of year is soup-time for me, nothing better than stirring a pot of soup while the snow is blowing outside.

A roasted chicken is an awesome frugal thing!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:17:37 PM by alicewonders »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
Cilantro Soup

Recipes for Cream of Cilantro soup have been around the Internet for years.

This one is my all-time favorite. I serve a soup with my Thanksgiving dinner every year, and two years ago during a conversation about how I seasoned the turkey (somewhat unorthodox), a guest mentioned that she liked every herb and spice, with the exception of cilantro. I pointed out that she'd had double servings of my cream of cilantro soup just a few minutes prior to the turkey being served.

2 bunches of cilantro, fresh and vibrant.
32 ounces of good quality chicken broth (I'm lazy, I use the packaged stuff)
2 tsp  butter
2 tsp flour
1 8 oz pack cream cheese (you're supposed to add reduced fat or FF CC... your call)
1 pint sour cream
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

Clean cilantro (use only leaves, no stems). If you wish to be fancy, set aside a few picture-perfect sprigs to use as garnish.
In food processor, puree cilantro leaves and 8 oz chicken broth.
Melt butter over medium heat in soup pot and whisk in flour to make rue.
Add the remaining broth into the pot slowly, whisking as you go along to avoid lumps.
Boil for about a minute.
Add everything else to the pot while constantly stirring so that everything blends together.
Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Ladle and eat.

Not a full meal, but it will warm you on a good winter night.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:35:56 PM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
I. Love. Cilantro.

Thanks for the recipes Luis, they sound great!  An interesting thing about cilantro - my husband absolutely hates it and will not eat anything I put it in.  Once he smells it in the kitchen he leaves the room.  I read that there are people that cannot stand it and that there may be a genetic component causing their dislike of this wonderful herb.  I found this article explaining why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

http://www.ask.com/web?q=do+some+people+have+a+genetic+disposition+to+dislike+coriander&qsrc=19&qo=spellCheck&o=0&l=dir
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:31:19 PM by alicewonders »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
I. Love. Cilantro.

Thanks for the recipes Luis, they sound great!  An interesting thing about cilantro - my husband absolutely hates it and will not eat anything I put it in.  Once he smells it in the kitchen he leaves the room.  I read that there are people that cannot stand it and that there may be a genetic component causing their dislike of this wonderful herb.  I found this article explaining why:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=do+some+people+have+a+genetic+disposition+to+dislike+coriander&qsrc=19&qo=spellCheck&o=0&l=dir

How is he with the seeds? I'm fine with them. Fresh coriander I like but it doesn't like me. Parsley kicks my heart into overdrive, I simple can't have it.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »
How is he with the seeds? I'm fine with them. Fresh coriander I like but it doesn't like me. Parsley kicks my heart into overdrive, I simple can't have it.

When I fix anything with coriander seeds, it's ground and he doesn't seem to notice it.  It's the leaf version (Cilantro) that he despises.  I grow it in my garden and I love the fresh smell of cilantro - I could literally roll around in it! 

That's weird about the parsley!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
I just modified my post above with the link concerning a genetic disposition toward loving or hating cilantro.  I realized that my original link (which is now the second link) was just my search results.  The first link that I just added goes to a specific article which I was originally referring to.  Sorry about that.  Here's that specific article link again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 07:38:31 AM »
Just stole this recipe.

Risi Pisi Sushi.

Cook a good handful of rice per person. About 5 minutes before it is ready, throw in some drained canned peas to heat. Drain when the rice is perfect.

In a separate pot, boil some salted water. Blanch any hard green leaf - cabbage, kale, turnip tops.

Lay out the leaf on a board. Give it a generous dash of any hot sauce you have laying about. Spread the rice and pea mix over it, but not to the edges. Put a thinly sliced bit of raw onion or pepper that has been soaked in vinegar down the center, and any cold or tinned meat or fish you have. Roll it tightly. Chill for 30 minutes, slice and eat with preferably cream cheese or spiced yoghurt as the dip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf