Author Topic: Clinton: Don’t provide military aid to Iraq  (Read 341 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Clinton: Don’t provide military aid to Iraq
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:04 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/209281-us-shouldnt-provide-military-aid-to-iraq-clinton-says

Clinton: Don’t provide military aid to Iraq

By Rebecca Shabad - 06/13/14 10:35 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton on Thursday said the U.S. shouldn’t provide military assistance to Iraq despite the threat from an Islamist militant group that has captured major cities. [READ MORE]

“I agree with the White House’s rejection and reluctance to do the kind of military activities that the Maliki government is requesting, mainly the fighter aircraft to provide close support for the army and also to go after targets,” the former secretary of State said on BBC’s “Newsnight.”

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki reportedly asked the Obama administration to launch airstrikes against militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). The group, with ties to al Qaeda, has seized control of a swath of the Middle East including part of Syria through central Iraq.

The White House, however, has so far refused to provide direct military help, even with a number of lawmakers calling on Obama to launch airstrikes as ISIS advances toward Baghdad.

Obama said Thursday that he is considering all options, but administration officials ruled out troops on the ground.

Clinton said that al-Maliki must step up and defuse sectarian tensions by creating a broader governing coalition.

“That is not a role for the United States,” Clinton said. “There needs to be a number of steps that Maliki and his government must take to demonstrate that he’s committed to an inclusive Iraq — something he has not done up to date.”

Al-Maliki must demonstrate that he is a leader for all Iraqis, and “not just a sectarian slice of the country,” she added.   

Clinton also said that sending U.S. ground forces back to Iraq “is not going to happen.” But added she would “never say never, the world is unpredictable ... but not in any foreseeable future.”

Clinton, the Democratic front-runner for president in 2016 if she runs, called her vote for the Iraq War a “mistake” in her new memoir Hard Choices.

“I deeply regret the consequences,” she said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Clinton: Don’t provide military aid to Iraq
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:18:43 pm »
This prevailing opinion is what guarantees that the ancient Ottoman Levant is going to be submerged in a broad civil war, and the United States Government is going to calmly stand by and watch it happen.

The way to fix this was back when we still had a chance to insist on a Status of Forces Agreement with the Iraqi Government.  Without that it is not legally possible for US troops to be on Iraqi soil and that gave the President the convenient excuse he needed to abandon gear in place and pull out.  The result is a militant army that is heavily armed, and getting larger by the day.

If I were the King of Jordan I would be quietly reinforcing my borders.  If I was an Israeli fighter pilot I would likely be on a rotating hot alert with live ordinance on the birds, ready to pull the chocks and pins and go hunting.

Add the four year old war in Syria and we have the makings for a real war.  The only thing we are missing is nuclear weapons, and it is inevitable that someone is going to get their hands on one sooner or later, and when they use it Obama will have a nuclear brush war on his hands, and only Hagle and Kerry to try and un-f*&k it.  This is a disaster in the making.