Author Topic: Bergdahl's writings reveal a fragile young man; discharged from Coast Guard for psych reasons  (Read 932 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/11/friends-reportedly-claim-bergdahl-was-discharged-from-coast-guard-for-psych/

Published June 11, 2014FoxNews.com

Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. Army sergeant captured in Afghanistan and held for nearly five years before being traded for five top Taliban operatives, was discharged from the Coast Guard before he joined the Army, Fox News confirmed.

An Army spokesman did not confirm reports that Bergdahl's discharge was due to psychological reasons or elaborate on the circumstances leading to his ouster in 2006.

"We did confirm that Bergdahl was administratively discharged from the USCG prior to his enlistment to the U.S. Army,” the spokesman said.

But the Washington Post reported that it obtained a journal and emails Bergdahl wrote that seemed to paint the picture of a troubled young man.

“I’m worried,” Bergdahl wrote in journals before he deployed that were obtained by the Post. “The closer I get to ship day, the calmer the voices are. I’m reverting. I’m getting colder. My feelings are being flushed with the frozen logic and the training, all the unfeeling cold judgment of the darkness.”

“I will not lose this mind, this world I have deep inside,” he wrote a few pages later. “I will not lose this passion of beauty.”

Close friends of Bergdahl told the newspaper they were worried about his emotional health when he enlisted and after he apparently walked away from a military base in June 2009. Soldiers who served with him and tried to find him after he disappeared have described him as a loner who did not fit in.

Several days after he vanished, Bergdahl's close friend, Kim Harrison, received a box containing his journal, laptop computer, a copy of the novel “Atlas Shrugged,” military records and other items, Harrison told the Post. She said she shared the material with the newspaper because she was concerned the man she knew to be sensitive and vulnerable is being portrayed as a deserter whose actions put his fellow soldiers in peril.

“Trying to keep my self togeather,” Bergdahl, who intentionally misspelled words, wrote at another point. “I’m so tired of the blackness, but what will happen to me without it. Bloody hell why do I keep thinking of this over and over.”

Harrison and others close to Bergdahl told the Post his writing and the Coast Guard discharge raise questions about his mental fitness for military service and how he was accepted into the Army in 2008. Typically, a discharge for psychological reasons would disqualify a potential recruit.

According to Coast Guard records, Bergdahl left the service with an “uncharacterized discharge” after 26 days of basic training in early 2006. The term applies to people discharged before completing 180 days of service. No reason is specified in such discharges, and a Coast Guard representative said no further information was available.

A senior Army official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Army was aware of a prior “administrative discharge” when Bergdahl enlisted. A separate Army official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said that Bergdahl would have required a waiver to enlist under such circumstances. The official could not immediately confirm that Bergdahl received one.

Several of Bergdahl's friends said Bergdahl told them he faked mental problems to get out of the Coast Guard, but said they thought at the time his problems were real.

“I said, ‘What happened?’” one friend told the Post. “He said he started to feign a psychological disorder, saying strange things to get out. I remember flat out calling him out on it — I said ‘there is something else going on.’ He said, ‘I chose to do it.’

“I know he believed he was in control, but I didn’t,” the friend added. “I sincerely doubted that.”

Two years later, Bergdahl told Harrison he had joined the Army. From basic training in Georgia, he began filling out the journal that he later mailed to Harrison.

“A wolf, mutt, hound, dog, I’ve been called these from my childhood,” he wrote in the first few pages. “But what good am I, my existence is that of exile. To live on the fringes of this world as a guard . . .”

Another entry cited by the Post: “Puddle of mud, skitsafrentic phyco.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
    Close friend of Bowe Bergdahl has shared the journals and writings on his laptop that he sent to her shortly before walking off the Army base

'The closer I get to ship day, the voices are,' he wrote in one entry shortly before being sent to Afghanistan

She was the one who drove him to take the Coast Guard test in 2006 and he told her he 'purposefully flunked' the psychological exam

She didn't believe him and thought he had emotional issues

He enlisted in the Army two years later and officials allegedly knew that he had a prior 'administrative discharge'

By Meghan Keneally

Published: 15:11 EST, 11 June 2014

Friends reveal that Bowe Bergdahl was discharged from the Coast Guard on account of a failed psychological exam two years before he enlisted in the Army and shipped off to Afghanistan.

Bergdahl sent a box containing his laptop and personal journals to a friend in Idaho shortly before he walked off the Army base in Afghanistan in 2009 and she has shared the concerning writings with The Washington Post.

Some of the more bizarre excerpts feature his rantings about the wisdom of the protagonist in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged, his desire to learn Russian and 'Chines' and how he wanted to write a story about someone 'going-crazy-to wander the earth alone'.

'I’m worried... The closer I get to ship day, the calmer the voices are. I’m reverting. I’m getting colder. My feelings are being flushed with the frozen logic and the training, all the unfeeling cold judgment of the darkness,' he wrote in one entry shortly before his deployment.

Frequent misspellings and repeated references to voices inside his head are seen throughout the entries in a notebook and in various files on his computer.

'These thoughts insist on trying to overwhelm my mind... I’ve spent a lot of my life thinking blackness was all I had in front of me, that it would be blackness to the very last instent [sic]. I know this is not right. I know that there is light in this darkness, and that I can actuly [sic] reach it if I keep walking, keep moving to it.'

'Like i’m pulling away from the human world, but getting closer to people... Almost as if its not the people I hate, but society’s ideas and reality that hold them,' he wrote in a document called 'threw the mind'.

'I want to change so much and all the time, but then my mind just locks down, as if there was some one else in my mind shutting the door in my face... I want to pull my mind out and drop kick it into a deep gorge.'

Bergdahl, who was promoted to Sargeant during his five years in captivity, reportedly had a little-known history with the uniformed services before he enlisted.

Friends were shocked when the introspective teen, who took ballet and fencing lessons near his home in Idaho, told them that he wanted to join the Coast Guard.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2655487/Bowe-Bergdahl-discharged-Coast-Guard-psychological-reasons-2006-able-enlist-Army-two-years-later.html#ixzz34NuXpBih
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/bergdahls-writings-reveal-a-fragile-young-man/2014/06/11/fb9349fe-f165-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

By Stephanie McCrummen

June 11 at 5:51 PM

Before he became a Taliban prisoner, before he wrote in his journal “I am the lone wolf of deadly nothingness,” before he joined the Army, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was discharged from the Coast Guard for psychological reasons, said close friends who were worried about his emotional health at the time.

The 2006 discharge and a trove of Bergdahl’s writing — his handwritten journal along with essays, stories and e-mails provided to The Washington Post — paint a portrait of a deeply complicated and fragile young man who was by his own account struggling to maintain his mental stability from the start of basic training until the moment he walked off his post in eastern Afghanistan in 2009.

“I’m worried,” he wrote in one journal entry before he deployed. “The closer I get to ship day, the calmer the voices are. I’m reverting. I’m getting colder. My feelings are being flushed with the frozen logic and the training, all the unfeeling cold judgment of the darkness.”

A few pages later, he wrote: “I will not lose this mind, this world I have deep inside. I will not lose this passion of beauty.”

At another point, using his often un­or­tho­dox spelling, he wrote: “Trying to keep my self togeather. I’m so tired of the blackness, but what will happen to me without it. Bloody hell why do I keep thinking of this over and over.”

On June 9, 2009, two weeks before he walked away, Bergdahl sent an e-mail to a friend.

“l1nes n0 t g00 d h3rE. tell u when 1 ha ve a si coure 1ine about pl/-\ns,” read the partly coded message, one of Bergdahl’s many references to unspecified plans and dreams of walking away — to China, into the mountains, or, as he says at one point, into “the artist’s painted world, hiding from the fields of blood and screams, hidden from the monster within himself.”

Several days after he vanished, a box containing his blue spiral-bound journal, his laptop computer, a copy of the novel “Atlas Shrugged,” military records and other items arrived at the home of his close friend Kim Harrison, whom Bergdahl designated in his Army paperwork as the person who should receive his remains.

Harrison said she decided to share the journal and computer files with The Post because she is concerned about the portrayal of Bergdahl as a calculating deserter, a characterization she says is at odds with her understanding of him as sensitive and vulnerable.

Bergdahl’s parents declined a request for an interview about their son’s writings and mental health. A military spokesman said questions could not be put to Bergdahl, 28, “at this point in his reintegration process.”

Harrison and others close to Bergdahl said his writing and the events surrounding the Coast Guard discharge raise questions about his mental fitness for military service and how he was accepted into the Army in 2008. Typically, a discharge for psychological reasons would disqualify a potential recruit.

According to Coast Guard records, Bergdahl left the service in early 2006 with an “uncharacterized discharge” after 26 days of basic training. The term applies to people discharged before completing 180 days of service. No reason is specified in such discharges, and a Coast Guard representative said no further information was available.

A senior Army official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Army was aware of a prior “administrative discharge” when Bergdahl enlisted. A separate Army official, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that Bergdahl would have required a waiver to enlist under such circumstances. The official could not immediately confirm that Bergdahl received one.

Oceander

"fragile young man" - that's just a set-up to excuse his desertion.

Offline musiclady

Why would a 'fragile young man' join the military during a time of war?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"fragile young man" - that's just a set-up to excuse his desertion.

Yep! Set him up as the victim!

You and I won't buy it but millions of others will swallow it hook, line, and sinker!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Yep! Set him up as the victim!

You and I won't buy it but millions of others will swallow it hook, line, and sinker!

I hope they won't, but I think you're closer to the truth than I wish you were.

Offline flowers

If they show the world he is mental.........no charges against him, which is the plan.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
If they show the world he is mental.........no charges against him, which is the plan.

That may well be Obama's plan, but the US Army is going to have a say in this, and I do not believe not charging him will be an option.  We have seen time and again the this Regime likes to see things how they want them to be, instead of how things really are.  The Army has a legal case on their hands that will not be simple to dispose of just to avoid further self-inflicted political embarrassment to the Commander in Chief.

Offline flowers

That may well be Obama's plan, but the US Army is going to have a say in this, and I do not believe not charging him will be an option.  We have seen time and again the this Regime likes to see things how they want them to be, instead of how things really are.  The Army has a legal case on their hands that will not be simple to dispose of just to avoid further self-inflicted political embarrassment to the Commander in Chief.
What has stopped this administration from breaking the rules? they may do it again here. Gotta cover obamys fanny.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:19:53 pm by flowers »

Offline mountaineer

Several days after he vanished, a box containing his blue spiral-bound journal, his laptop computer, a copy of the novel “Atlas Shrugged,” military records and other items arrived at the home of his close friend Kim Harrison ...
Well, that clinches it. He must have been a tea partier.   :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

A parody of an Ulsterman report, posted at Michelle Obama's Mirror.
Friday, June 13, 2014
Molsterman Report #6: Obama’s American Taliban Comes Home to Roost

NOTE:  This is part of a continuing series of exclusive, clandestine, interviews with my mole known only as “Deep Quote” or “Molsterman,”  (who may or may not also be known as “Little Mo” to the MOTUS community) Molsterman is currently serving under deep cover at NSA. (Presented, as always, with apologies to the Ulsterman Report)

I recently sat down again with Molsterman to talk about the controversy surrounding Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s ransom and return .

MOTUS: Thanks for stopping by. I understand you have been digging into NSA’s Bowe Bergdahl dossier.

Molsterman: Yeah, I’m a mole, that’s what I do: dig.

MOTUS: Okay, sorry, butt you have been looking into the Bowe Bergdahl story, right?

Molsterman: Yeah, that’s right. I’ve been rooting around, and since he headed back to the U.S. late yesterday I thought you would want to know about some of the dope I have on him.

MOTUS: So, what have you unearthed  that the MOTUS Nation should know about?

Molsterman: The MOTUS Nation? You’ve been listening to too much talk radio, doll. Turn it off and rely on people like me if you want the straight scoop.

Look, the official record wasn’t “finalized” at the Landstuhl medical center in Germany until yesterday. It looks like  Bergdahl has finally “learned” what happened to him so he’s deemed  safe and free to return home and meet with his family. From what I hear though, there were many, many  rehearsals, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

MOTUS: You said Bergdahl had to “learn” what happened to him?

Molsterman: Good, you’re paying attention.

MOTUS: Butt wouldn’t he know what happened to him? Or did he get a bump on the head, like Hillary?

Molsterman: You can’t still be that naïve, MOTUS. You know as well as I do that what really happened ain’t gonna cut it: not with the Republicans, not with the Democrats, not with the Media and certainly not with Big Guy. No way is the story gonna be “Bowe hates America, deserted his post and joined the Taliban.” That’s just a bad B movie. And they disliked the CIA’s story  of the “Manchurian POW” even more, so that leaves us just one option.

MOTUS: Are you suggesting that they are going to make up “the big lie” about what happened?

Molsterman: No, I’m not suggesting it, I’m confirming it.

MOTUS: Well, what will they say?

Molsterman: This will be the official story line: Bowe was always a sensitive kid, when he was younger he used ballet to work through his inner conflicts – just like Rahm, except he wasn’t Jewish.

Bowe and Rahm: kindred spirits

He joined the Coast Guard, but washed out in less than a month, having been deemed exceptionally sensitive to sea sickness and joined the Army shortly thereafter, as  they don’t often have to deal with boats and water.

Deeply troubled by Bush’s war, Bowe enlisted so he could help the Afghan people. When he got to Afghanistan he was  overwhelmed by  the senseless loss of life - and lack of discipline within his unit - and he just wanted the killing on both sides to stop. He thought that if he went to the Taliban leaders, alone and unarmed, he could convince them to end the war because, after all, they are members of the religion of peace.  Had anyone been paying close attention they would have noted that Bowe was as delusional as Obama and clearly didn’t belong anywhere near a theatre of war. But alas, as stated previously discipline in his unit was lax so nobody noticed.

Bowe will say the Taliban didn’t understand his intentions, but treated him well – except for that one time when he tried to escape, but that was all his fault. They shared their food, language and religion with him;  and on the whole they proved themselves to be hail fellows well met.  He will say he is sorry he left his post, but his intentions were pure and he planned to return as soon as he had secured a cease fire from the Taliban. Then he’ll thank Obama, Allah and his parents for bringing him home at such a  great expense (to be calculated and paid at a later date).

MOTUS: So, that’s not the way it actually happened?

Molsterman: Kid, are you sure you’re ready for prime time? That cockamamie story wouldn’t even fly as a Homeland plot. The truth is locked down at NSA and Langley; all his emails, phone calls, and daddy’s too. I can’t tell you everything, but I can tell you that all the Taliban ever asked for was money.  It was our side - well, technically “our side” - that suggested the swap for 5 crazed terrorists. Getting rid of Gitmo’s worst of the worst makes transferring the rest of them to the Land of Lincoln to serve out their days much more palatable to the good citizens of Illinois.

Unfortunately the whole scam is beginning to collapse under the weight of so many amateur prevaricators: first Obama said he was the decider; then he said Hagel was the actual decider, only Hagel didn’t get the memo telling him to fall on his sword, so he tells Congress it was Big Guy’s idea all along. Despite anything you may have heard, there’s really no honor among thieves and scoundrels.

The real story will come out some day, long after these Chicagoland thugs have gone. The career spooks don’t like this posse, not one little bit. But they’re still afraid of them so we won’t get the truth until it’s too late.

MOTUS: Will that fly? I mean, even Chris Matthews thinks the Bergdahl guy’s a deserter. And as they say, once you’ve lost the Tingles, the thrill is gone…
Click here for "Molsterman's" theory
 :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org