Author Topic: Duck Dynasty loses half its audience… and is still on top of the ratings  (Read 589 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://news.feedzilla.com/en_us/stories/entertainment/television/381808052?count=20&client_source=feedzilla_widget&order=date&format=json&sb=1

TV Ratings: 'Duck Dynasty' Continues to Slide
by Michael O'Connell
June 12, 2014

To every thing there is a season -- and duck season's time is clearly waning. The sixth season of A&E megahit Duck Dynasty debuted on Wednesday night, averaging 4.3 million viewers after a season of significant ratings fatigue earlier in the year.

It should go without saying that this latest drop, just more than half of January's 8.5 million start for season five, still leaves Duck Dynasty as cable's reigning reality show. But considering that less than a year ago the show opened to an all-time record 11.77 million viewers in August, it's quite clear that past highs are now far out of reach.

All told, it was still likely the biggest series among adults 18-49 on Wednesday night, with the highlights of the broadcast lineup being So You Think You Can Dance and a Dateline special about the O.J. Simpson trial. Duck Dynasty averaged 2.3 million viewers.

The 4.3 million viewers marks the show's least watched episode since Nov. 14, 2012 -- but it's not far below the then-16-month low March's penultimate episode fetched.

Critics and ratings-gazers will be quick to attribute Duck Dynasty's fall from grace to any number of factors -- one of them obviously being star Phil Robertson's controversial persona in the wake of anti-gay comments made in a GQ profile -- but the fact of the matter remains that docusoaps have a short lifespan. And A&E has already milked more out of Duck Dynasty than anybody could have imagined.

(Underline emphasis mine.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:18:24 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

Maybe the ratings would be better if A & E didn't run it 24/7. While not killing the golden goose, they're wearing out the Golden Duck.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline GourmetDan

Well, the spike was just people checking it out to see what all the buzz was about.  Those people inevitably move on to the next thing and the next and the next.

I'll watch the new ones and some of the old faves because I know I won't be constantly assaulted w/ perverted sexual themes... except for the commercials, of course...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:24:46 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

I didn't know the new season started. I am tired of the reruns 24/7.