Author Topic: GOP on Iraq: We told you so  (Read 666 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP on Iraq: We told you so
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:44 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=05C7A772-9F64-4208-B006-2B3A1E66BAD8

GOP on Iraq: We told you so
By: Jeremy Herb and Burgess Everett
June 12, 2014 11:38 AM EDT

Sen. John McCain said Thursday that President Barack Obama’s entire national security team should resign over the resurgence of Islamic militants in Iraq.

“Everybody in his national security team, including the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, ought to be replaced,” the Arizona Republican told reporters ahead of a classified Senate Armed Services Committee briefing on the deteriorating situation in Iraq. “It’s a colossal failure of American security policy.”

The Sunni militant group, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, vowed Thursday to march into Baghdad after overrunning Iraq’s government forces in Tikrit and Mosul.

The offensive is sparking a wave of Republican criticism over Obama’s decision to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan at the end of 2011 — and concerns that the U.S. gains in the Iraq war were about to completely evaporate.

Less than three years after the end of the U.S. war in Iraq, the Obama administration and members of Congress are now mulling whether the U.S. has to re-engage militarily in order to save the gains made during the eight-year war that saw more than 4,000 U.S. troops killed.

“There is no scenario where we can stop the bleeding in Iraq without American air power,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). “It is my worst fear come true. If the president is willing to adjust his policies, I’m willing to help him.”

Inside the secure briefing room in the Capitol’s basement, lawmakers were reported to be shocked by administration briefers who said that up to four entire divisions of the Iraqi military folded in an instant — allowing insurgent troops to pour into the city of Mosul and other cities near the border with Turkey.

“It’s a desperate situation. It’s moving quickly. It appears to me that the chickens are coming home to roost for our policy of not leaving anybody there to be a stabilizing force,” said Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), a member of GOP leadership.

He said senators were informed of the instant “collapse of four of the 17 divisions without any apparent effort to push back.”

“Some Iraqi troops have gone to work with their uniforms on with civilian clothes under their uniforms,” Blunt said. “That’s a bad sign.”

Both the president lawmakers of both parties have uniformly refused to rule out air strikes in Iraq, as has been reportedly requested by the prime minister.

“We will be weighing all options. I’m not ruling anything in or out at this point,” said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.).

“It might be the only way that we can go in to give some support so they can hold off until they can regroup, the Shiites can regroup and the Iraqi Army can get itself together,” said Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.).

But Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) urged his colleagues away from inflammatory statements — after McCain urged Obama to dump his entire national security team.

“We shouldn’t knee jerk anything. The Iraqi government a few years back, when they had a chance to sign an agreement that would keep some of our presence there, refused to do it. So we’ve got to be very careful and thoughtful before we do anything,” Levin said.

At the White House, Obama told reporters the White House has been working “around the clock” on options for how to respond and, at this point, “I don’t rule out anything.”

“What we’ve seen over the last couple of days indicates Iraq’s going to need more help” from the United States and from the international community, Obama said in the Oval Office. “We do have a stake in making sure that these jihadists are not getting a permanent foothold in either Iraq or Syria for that matter,” Obama added.

For McCain and other GOP defense hawks, the latest developments were a condemnation of the decision to withdraw all U.S. troops from Iraq at the end of 2011.

“We’ve got another Benghazi in the making here,” Graham said after leaving the classified briefing. “What I heard in there scared the hell out of me.”

After attending the briefing, both McCain and Graham took to the Senate floor to blast Obama over the latest developments in Iraq. McCain said those who were right in Iraq — like retired Gen. David Petraeus, the former CIA director who as a general carried out the “surge” — should be directing U.S. policy there.

“Lindsey Graham and John McCain were right,” McCain said. “Our failure to leave forces on Iraq is why Sen. Graham and I predicted this would happen.”

The U.S. should consider providing air power in Iraq, as the Iraqi government has reportedly requested, McCain said, but ruled out putting U.S. troops on the ground there.

“No, I don’t think we should send troops back there,” he said. “We should explore all the options in air power, get a team over there to advise them. It’s so serious I’m not sure exactly how it can be done. Al Qaeda is now the richest terrorist organization in history.”

But McCain said that he believed “airstrikes alone will not be enough.”

On Wednesday, the White House urged Congress to work to provide funding for “flexibility and resources to help Iraq respond to emerging needs as the terrorist threat from [Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant] continues to evolve.”

“The situation in Iraq is grave, and we’re actively working with Iraqi leaders in support of their efforts to implement an effective and coordinated response to address this crisis. We’ll continue to provide all appropriate assistance to the government of Iraq,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

With Iraq falling into chaos, Republicans said Iraq’s deleted security forces bode poorly for the president’s path forward in Afghanistan, where he said that all U.S. troops would leave by 2016.

That would still keep U.S. troops in Afghanistan after security operations are handed off to the Afghans at the end of this year, but the GOP lawmakers argued it still provided the Taliban an end date for U.S. forces.

“The president’s announcement exactly when we’re going to withdraw from Afghanistan — instead of making it based on conditions on the ground — to tell the Taliban, is a mistake,” said Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.). “I would hope that the president would take some of the lessons that we’re seeing happening in Iraq and not repeat them in Afghanistan.”

The Senate Armed Services Committee was briefed Thursday by Elissa Slotkin of the Defense Department, Paul Wolfe, a Defense Intelligence Agency expert on Iraq, DIA terrorism analyst Patrick Pryor of the Defense Intelligence Agency and Lt. Gen. John Bednarek, chief of the Office of Security Cooperation for Iraq.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Re: GOP on Iraq: We told you so
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:37:21 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_of_U.S._troops_from_Iraq

We broke it (Iraq), then through ineptness, we walked away and left this outrage in our wake. Shades of Vietnam.....will this be the future of American military policy?
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:41:51 am »
Ford wrote:
[[ We broke it (Iraq), then through ineptness, we walked away and left this outrage in our wake. Shades of Vietnam.....will this be the future of American military policy? ]]

Two possible answers:
1. Yes.
2. There probably isn't going to be much of a future for "American military policy".

Chinese military policy, perhaps...???
Now yer talkin' !!!

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:59:24 pm »

2. There probably isn't going to be much of a future for "American military policy".

Chinese military policy, perhaps...???

I can see #2. We're a laughing stock, if not flat out distrusted by the rest of the world. Every bureaucrat in DC is totally out of touch with reality.

The Chinese are seeing an opening.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
A bit presumptuous to believe we hold the power, to reverse 1400 years of sunni-shia conflict.

Bush sought "nation building" around the notion these people were capable of modern democracy.

Obama just wanted to bug-out. Bush's original notion was ambitious to the extent of being totally unrealistic.

Instead of trying to arrange which sides rule these peoples, we should have done and do more to show them the deadly result, if they phuque with us again.

Why should we prop up one side over the other? Why not encourage perpetual conflict, throughout the region? Let the rest of the world deal with it. Let them shed blood and drain treasure, if it is important to them.

We should drill, frack, arm ourselves with the means to destroy anybody that attacks us. Not nationbuild them, destroy them.

We were totally mistaken to not destroy Afghanistan. We were mistaken to invade and nationbuild Iraq.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:15 pm »
I can see #2. We're a laughing stock, if not flat out distrusted by the rest of the world. Every bureaucrat in DC is totally out of touch with reality.

The Chinese are seeing an opening.

A who plays the part of the 2 million dead Cambodians?  Jordanians?  Kuwaitis?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 01:20:22 am »
olde north church wrote above:
[[ A who plays the part of the 2 million dead Cambodians?  Jordanians?  Kuwaitis? ]]

Frankly, so long as it's two million islamics, who cares?
The more of them that kill each other, the better.
No apologies for that remark.

But I don't want to see the blood of one more American soldier or civilian wasted there.

Let's get out of their way, and may the best muslim win....

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:21 am »
A who plays the part of the 2 million dead Cambodians?  Jordanians?  Kuwaitis?

After seeing they way they act towards us after we saved their fourth-point-of-contact in 91, I vote for the Kuwaiti's.

Offline collins

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:38:42 am »
Yeah, but "told you so" is small comfort. It was always bizarre that a timeline was set to withdraw anyways, all that does is give your opposition a planner.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 11:50:57 am »
A bit presumptuous to believe we hold the power, to reverse 1400 years of sunni-shia conflict.
We do.

It's just that it would take every thermonuclear weapon in our silos and require the entire Middle East-- Israel included-- to be leveled into a wasteland that makes Chernobyl look like the Amazon rainforest.

And we don't have the fortitude to pull that off.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024