Author Topic: Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?  (Read 535 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:36 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/209210-will-obama-seek-approval-for-iraq-strike

Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?

By Justin Sink - 06/12/14 03:07 PM EDT

The White House dodged questions Thursday on whether President Obama would seek congressional approval to launch airstrikes against Iraq in response to a surge of sectarian violence.

"We would have to get back to you on how that would proceed if that decision were made," press secretary Jay Carney said.

Last year, the president said the nation would be "stronger" if Congress authorized air strikes against the Syrian regime in its ongoing civil war, though the situation de-escalated when Syrian leader Bashar Assad agreed to give up his chemical weapons.

"While I believe I have the authority to carry out this action without specific congressional authorization, our country will be stronger if we take this course," Obama said at the time. "We should have this debate because the issues are too big for business as usual."

But after Obama said Thursday that he was considering air strikes against an al Qaeda-affiliated group that has captured government and military compounds in Iraq's north, the White House sidestepped questions about whether the president would again consult with Congress.

Carney said there were "obviously legal authorities that exist regarding the use of military force in conflicts" but did not specify whether Obama thought he needed to consult with Congress.

Obama would seem to have the legal authority to launch a military strike in Iraq because the original use of force authorization that enabled the Iraq War remains in effect — but the administration has previously said they would support the repeal of that legislation. Late last month, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) introduced a bill that would repeal the Authorization for Use of Military Force against Iraq.

The White House would likely be wary of taking their case to Capitol Hill after the Syria proposal met strong resistance among lawmakers. The president's proposal appeared doomed to fail before Russia brokered a last-minute peace deal under which the Syrian government offered to turn over its chemical weapons cache.

The president's approval ratings fell to their lowest point in more than a year following the height of Syria crisis.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:10 pm »
Any airstrikes at this point would likely have to be from a carrier in the Persian Gulf, and that of course risks a great deal from the Iranians as well.  In any case I do not think we have anywhere near sufficient forces forward deployed that could possibly do any good striking targets in Iraq.  Who is going to do the targeting?? 

I do not think Obama will do anything for a while yet, and I doubt highly whether he will do anything at all.  The overwhelming opinion being expressed by the White House is that the Iraqis are on their own.  Obama said this should be a wake up call for Iraq, although I am not sure what the hell he meant by that.

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »
I think Obama has made it abundantly clear he doesn't believe he  needs congressional approval for most anything.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:43:50 am »
I doubt there are going to be any airstrikes.

They would probably kill as many civilians as militants.

Airstrikes at this point would be as successful as they were on North Vietnam.
Who won that war?

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:26:45 pm »
Doesn't he have to get permission from the United Nitwits before he can even consult congress? :whistle:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:42:24 pm »
He'll go for permission and a solid array of allies to hide behind if shit goes south and to take credit for if shit works.

Sorry Worm - we ain't buying what you are selling. Not after Syria.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink