Author Topic: Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?  (Read 295 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Will Obama seek approval for Iraq strike?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
Any airstrikes at this point would likely have to be from a carrier in the Persian Gulf, and that of course risks a great deal from the Iranians as well.  In any case I do not think we have anywhere near sufficient forces forward deployed that could possibly do any good striking targets in Iraq.  Who is going to do the targeting?? 

I do not think Obama will do anything for a while yet, and I doubt highly whether he will do anything at all.  The overwhelming opinion being expressed by the White House is that the Iraqis are on their own.  Obama said this should be a wake up call for Iraq, although I am not sure what the hell he meant by that.

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »
I think Obama has made it abundantly clear he doesn't believe he  needs congressional approval for most anything.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
I doubt there are going to be any airstrikes.

They would probably kill as many civilians as militants.

Airstrikes at this point would be as successful as they were on North Vietnam.
Who won that war?

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
Doesn't he have to get permission from the United Nitwits before he can even consult congress? :whistle:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
He'll go for permission and a solid array of allies to hide behind if shit goes south and to take credit for if shit works.

Sorry Worm - we ain't buying what you are selling. Not after Syria.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf