Author Topic: In S.F., Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
In S.F., Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »
David R. Baker
San Francisco Chronicle
June 12, 2014

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, speaking in San Francisco on Wednesday night, said the U.S. would better serve its diverse population by letting the states handle many economic and social policies, a point he perhaps inadvertently drove home when he compared homosexuality to alcoholism.
More

Not this crap again.

Offline mountaineer

Re: In S.F., Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:54 pm »
Here's the context:
Perry, a former and potential future GOP presidential candidate, was then asked whether he believed homosexuality was a disorder.

The paper says that the governor responded that “whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that.”

He said: “I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way.”
How is that "crap"? He's talking about temptation. An alcoholic who yields to the temptation to drink an alcoholic beverage, or a person with homosexual desires who yields to the temptation to engage in sexual activity with a person of the same sex has decided to do so. Some of us comprehend what he's saying. It is the act, not the inclination, that is the sin.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:18:36 pm »
Heh-heh! He won't win any friends from that demographic with that comment, but we don't really want them here. They're all liberals.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:23 pm »
I really like Perry and he has a right to say what he wants about gays. I am tired of people wanting to shut down what anyone says about gays as if they are a privileged group.  I am tired of political correctness which is just a way to try to control people. I don't care what anyone says but gays are not normal and it is not a normal way of life. I don't hate them I just feel sorry for them and hate their lifestyle.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:33:42 pm »
I really like Perry and he has a right to say what he wants about gays. I am tired of people wanting to shut down what anyone says about gays as if they are a privileged group.  I am tired of political correctness which is just a way to try to control people. I don't care what anyone says but gays are not normal and it is not a normal way of life. I don't hate them I just feel sorry for them and hate their lifestyle.

Amen!  :hands:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 10:45:20 pm »
goopo
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:01 pm »
Here's the context:How is that "crap"? He's talking about temptation. An alcoholic who yields to the temptation to drink an alcoholic beverage, or a person with homosexual desires who yields to the temptation to engage in sexual activity with a person of the same sex has decided to do so. Some of us comprehend what he's saying. It is the act, not the inclination, that is the sin.

I read that. I think that if asked, he should decline to comment on such matters.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:02:09 pm »

I don't consider gays to be a privileged group.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:05 pm »

It has absolutely nothing to do with anybody trying to shut down what Rick Perry...or anyone wants to say about the GLT issue.

It's that we expect our potential POTUS candidates to use their damned brains that God gave them and deflect 'gotcha' questions.

He should have deflected the question and merely stated that God loves all of his 'children'.  Period.  Next question.

To call it akin to a drug addiction can mortally wound him...as far as being a viable candidate.

He should limit all discussions to the economy and tax structure they enjoy in Texas today.  Screw the social issue...especially the Gay issue(s).

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:40 pm »
BTW, if you read the rest of the article you'll see that he makes good points on other topics.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »
Boo hoo.  The little homos constantly get offended anytime someone doesn't embrace their perversions.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 11:06:36 pm »
It has absolutely nothing to do with anybody trying to shut down what Rick Perry...or anyone wants to say about the GLT issue.

It's that we expect our potential POTUS candidates to use their damned brains that God gave them and deflect 'gotcha' questions.

He should have deflected the question and merely stated that God loves all of his 'children'.  Period.  Next question.

To call it akin to a drug addiction can mortally wound him...as far as being a viable candidate.

He should limit all discussions to the economy and tax structure they enjoy in Texas today.  Screw the social issue...especially the Gay issue(s).

Agree on all points. Thank you. You said what I was not articulate enough to say.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
Screw the social issue...especially the Gay issue(s).

Do you really expect so-cons to do that?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 11:28:22 pm »
Personally, I don't think Perry's point of view is outside the mainstream.  It is outside of what is considered "appropriate" political discourse these days, but I doubt Perry would be able to break through the media clutter unless he did express a controversial point of view now and then.  I don't see this as a negative for Perry at all.  It is well known that he is an evangelical.  I think people would be surprised if he did not think homosexuality was a sin.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »
Here are Gallup poll data, over many years.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx

The SoCon position is increasingly at odds, with public opinions.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 11:49:44 pm »
Here's the context:How is that "crap"? He's talking about temptation. An alcoholic who yields to the temptation to drink an alcoholic beverage, or a person with homosexual desires who yields to the temptation to engage in sexual activity with a person of the same sex has decided to do so. Some of us comprehend what he's saying. It is the act, not the inclination, that is the sin.

In fact, homosexual activity is nothing like alcoholism.  Alcoholism is an addiction, a disease that is, in most cases, out of the control of the addict.   "Just stop drinking" is a silly thing to say to an alcoholic. 

Homosexual activity is a willful choice that one makes. 

GOP politicians have still not learned to steer clear of these controversial topics.  Perry believes what he says, no matter how wrong it is.

He's not going to be the GOP nominee anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 11:51:59 pm »
I think that if asked, he should decline to comment on such matters.
I agree. It was a no-win question.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 12:04:32 am »
I agree. It was a no-win question.

How could he not know that it was just one of a dozen set up questions that the Left always asks people they do not like? How could he not know that?

When they ask you one of these, it does not matter how you answer. They will edit and distort whatever you say to suit their purpose.

Perry could have said anything, and they would slaughter him. Does he really not know that by now?

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:59 am »

goopo

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 12:51:21 am »

Fair enough, raml....

...but you shouldn't expect or demand that your chosen candidate articulate in agreement...words that would support your personal opinion [above bold text].  Not publicly.

For chrissakes, knowing he's a God-fearing Christian who would turn this country around isn't enough for you?

Why put him in that kind of predicament where he's setting himself up for public ridicule? 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:52:00 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 01:08:37 am »
Fair enough, raml....

...but you shouldn't expect or demand that your chosen candidate articulate in agreement...words that would support your personal opinion [above bold text].  Not publicly.

For chrissakes, knowing he's a God-fearing Christian who would turn this country around isn't enough for you?

Why put him in that kind of predicament where he's setting himself up for public ridicule?

I don't know, DC.  I think that a big part of why we are in the mess (certainly not the only reason, by far) is that as a society (especially what we used to consider normal, healthy red-blooded Americans) have been too cowed into attempting to "hide" what our true beliefs are.  Where has that gotten us??

(After all, we all know that this so called "political correctness" crap is more properly called Cultural Marxism.  What say we stop bowing to it, once and for all?)

Screw public ridicule...  our side is going to get it no matter what we say, try to "hide" it or not....  there is some segment of the population that will never vote for the beliefs and principles of "normal, healthy red-blooded Americans" any more, there is nothing that we can say, or not say, to change that.  Let's get a guy or gal out there front and center (like a Perry) that is willing to just be himself and let the chips fall where they may.  Hell, we've gotten nowhere fast trying to run candidates that stand for everything (and hence nothing), or try to "craft a public image" at odds with reality.  My bet is there is a decent size percentage of voters out there (well beyond the walls of this, or any other, message forum), just dying to vote for a guy or gal like that!!  (And if that is wrong, then we are beyond cooked anyway... lol)

How much can we say that we "believe" in the principles we espouse if we aren't willing to stand up for them publicly??

Just food for thought...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:12:32 am by katzenjammer »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 01:14:58 am »
In truth, a comparison of alcoholism to homosexuality is supported on many levels. And perhaps Gov Perry believes a similarity exists in that each behavior may have a genetic link. After all, everything we are is coded in our genes. Notice I said everything we are, not everything we do.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 01:17:11 am »
How much can we say that we "believe" in the principles we espouse if we aren't willing to stand up for them publicly??

Just food for thought...

Isn't there a huge difference between having principles and insisting that everyone else have the same ones? Wasn't America supposed to be a country of freedom where we each could follow our own beliefs? What makes us different than totalitarian regimes if we can't allow people who disagree with us freedom too?
Doesn't our Constitution mean anything anymore?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 01:22:51 am »
Isn't there a huge difference between having principles and insisting that everyone else have the same ones? Wasn't America supposed to be a country of freedom where we each could follow our own beliefs? What makes us different than totalitarian regimes if we can't allow people who disagree with us freedom too?
Doesn't our Constitution mean anything anymore?

No one (certainly not I) said anything about insisting that everyone else have the same principles or beliefs.  Those that don't will vote for someone else, someone that stands up and represents their principles and beliefs, hopefully.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:13 am »
In truth, a comparison of alcoholism to homosexuality is supported on many levels. And perhaps Gov Perry believes a similarity exists in that each behavior may have a genetic link. After all, everything we are is coded in our genes. Notice I said everything we are, not everything we do.

Only if one believes that homosexuality is an addiction.  I'd love to see the research that purports to prove that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.