Author Topic: In S.F., Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism  (Read 4691 times)

Offline speekinout

Re: In S.F., Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 01:32:12 am »
No one (certainly not I) said anything about insisting that everyone else have the same principles or beliefs.  Those that don't will vote for someone else, someone that stands up and represents their principles and beliefs, hopefully.

My point is that any principles or beliefs, beyond the subjects listed in the Constitution, are not appropriate for political discussion. I have my own principles - conservative ones at that - but I'd vote for someone who has totally different beliefs as long as they agreed that personal beliefs are not a matter for fed'l gov't regulation.
Gov't and religion are separate subjects. I vote for politicians who agree with me on gov't and my friends are people who agree with me on religion. They're not always the same people.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 01:45:12 am »
My point is that any principles or beliefs, beyond the subjects listed in the Constitution, are not appropriate for political discussion. I have my own principles - conservative ones at that - but I'd vote for someone who has totally different beliefs as long as they agreed that personal beliefs are not a matter for fed'l gov't regulation.
Gov't and religion are separate subjects. I vote for politicians who agree with me on gov't and my friends are people who agree with me on religion. They're not always the same people.

Oh, I am glad that you clarified, you and I are pretty much in total agreement!  I have to admit that I didn't listen/watch to Perry's whole speech/presser, nor read a transcript, so I am only reacting to what has been quoted here, and really bouncing off of DC's post.  I have no idea as to whether Perry talked about making any of these topics a government issue (I tend to think that he didn't, nor would he ever).  I suspect the only reason it even came up was because he was asked a gotcha question.  My point is that he should be free to support his own beliefs and stand by them, not attempt to hide them.  And that we need to stop being afraid to support our public figures that do just that.  In general, our side has been running scared from what we claim to believe...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 02:07:53 am »
Only if one believes that homosexuality is an addiction.  I'd love to see the research that purports to prove that.

Exactly, Sink!   it would be a great start.

..... :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 02:16:13 am »
Oh, I am glad that you clarified, you and I are pretty much in total agreement!  I have to admit that I didn't listen/watch to Perry's whole speech/presser, nor read a transcript, so I am only reacting to what has been quoted here, and really bouncing off of DC's post.  I have no idea as to whether Perry talked about making any of these topics a government issue (I tend to think that he didn't, nor would he ever).  I suspect the only reason it even came up was because he was asked a gotcha question.  My point is that he should be free to support his own beliefs and stand by them, not attempt to hide them.  And that we need to stop being afraid to support our public figures that do just that.  In general, our side has been running scared from what we claim to believe...

There's a difference between being a proud, practicing God-fearing Christian...who's not afraid to articulate his belief system on homosexuality, and a candidate who's not smart enough to keep his opinions to himself.

Especially one who, last time around couldn't remember "The three (3) agencies we need to eliminate or overhaul.....", and he couldn't for the life of him come up with the 3rd one.

He needs to be the freaking Marlboro Man.   Not Rainman.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:23 am »
Only if one believes that homosexuality is an addiction.  I'd love to see the research that purports to prove that.

I don't think Perry said that homosexuality is an addiction.  I think he said that there is a genetic predisposition toward the behavior, just as there is toward alcoholism.

If he had mentioned addiction, it would be valid.  Sex addiction is fairly common among gays.  Not all gay sex is sex addiction, just as not all drinking of alcohol is addiction.  Within the gay community, there is great recognition that they have a problem when it comes to sex addiction.

http://prideinstituteflorida.com/mental-health/sexual-health/

Offline speekinout

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 02:21:31 am »

Oh, OK. We are thinking alike. But I think the reason Perry was asked the question is because the Texas GOP just endorsed gay conversion therapy. That's a controversial topic in any case, but I think there is no place for a discussion about it in politics. Perry was pretty much agreeing with the position that it is an appropriate political topic when he agreed to answer the question. And he certainly did sound like he supported the therapy.

When one group of GOPers makes a political statement about a social issue, then every GOP politician has to assume that questions related to that issue are "gotcha" questions, and be very careful about what he or she says. Perry didn't.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:25 am »
I really like Perry and he has a right to say what he wants about gays. I am tired of people wanting to shut down what anyone says about gays as if they are a privileged group.  I am tired of political correctness which is just a way to try to control people. I don't care what anyone says but gays are not normal and it is not a normal way of life. I don't hate them I just feel sorry for them and hate their lifestyle.

Hear!  Hear!
Kudos for a good post.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 02:24:14 am »
I don't think Perry said that homosexuality is an addiction.  I think he said that there is a genetic predisposition toward the behavior, just as there is toward alcoholism.

If he had mentioned addiction, it would be valid.  Sex addiction is fairly common among gays.  Not all gay sex is sex addiction, just as not all drinking of alcohol is addiction.  Within the gay community, there is great recognition that they have a problem when it comes to sex addiction.

http://prideinstituteflorida.com/mental-health/sexual-health/

There have always been promiscuous people.  In every class and category.  Men and women. Rich or poor and everything in between.

Some people just like sex.

It would also follow then, that there would be over-sexed individuals among the gay world. 

And it would include the 'dominant' partner vs. the submissive partner.

That's a lot of people.     :laugh:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 02:32:47 am »
Katzenjammer wrote above:
[[ I think that a big part of why we are in the mess (certainly not the only reason, by far) is that as a society (especially what we used to consider normal, healthy red-blooded Americans) have been too cowed into attempting to "hide" what our true beliefs are.  Where has that gotten us?? ]]

Pat Buchanan was right on about the "kulturkampf" back in 1992 at the Republican convention (it was '92, right?), and his words are more apropro today than they were back then.

It doesn't matter that the left will ridicule conservatives for their beliefs and values. That's their modus operandi.

We believe what we believe.
If the left doesn't like it, too bad.

If conservatives try to modify their beliefs to mollify the left, they will find themselves disappearin' faster than the Cheshire Cat.

And their numbers and influence will be blowin' away faster than a dry sand castle in a hurricane...

Good on Rick Perry for speaking his mind in the devil's den !!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 02:41:43 am »
We believe what we believe.
If the left doesn't like it, too bad.

We also need to live in the real world where winning elections is important.

Macho bravado might make you feel good but it doesn't do any good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 02:52:03 am »
There have always been promiscuous people.  In every class and category.  Men and women. Rich or poor and everything in between.

Some people just like sex.

It would also follow then, that there would be over-sexed individuals among the gay world. 

And it would include the 'dominant' partner vs. the submissive partner.

That's a lot of people.     :laugh:

True.  But the absolute truth of the matter is that sex addiction is a much bigger problem among gays than it is among straights:

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/sex/2012/06/sexual-freedom-vs-sexual-addiction-the-gay-male-conundrum/

The high correlation between propensity to sex addiction and being a homosexual male supports the hypothesis of linkage between sex addiction and being gay.  Thus, homosexuality itself could be an addictive behavior for some people (about 10 percent of all gay men, if the link is to be believed).

What percentage of all drinkers are alcoholics? 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:55:17 am by massadvj »

Oceander

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:00 am »
I really like Perry and he has a right to say what he wants about gays. I am tired of people wanting to shut down what anyone says about gays as if they are a privileged group.  I am tired of political correctness which is just a way to try to control people. I don't care what anyone says but gays are not normal and it is not a normal way of life. I don't hate them I just feel sorry for them and hate their lifestyle.

just out of curiosity, how many gay people have you actually met?

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 03:01:24 am »
Open Mouth.  Insert Foot.

If you're a republican:  Repeat ad nauseam.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 03:13:28 am »
True.  But the absolute truth of the matter is that sex addiction is a much bigger problem among gays than it is among straights:

What do you think of the contention by some that if gays were allowed to marry - or at least have civil unions - that this wouldn't be true?

Oceander

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 03:14:00 am »
What do you think of the contention by some that if gays were allowed to marry - or at least have civil unions - that this wouldn't be true?

I think it's a very fair question

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 03:23:35 am »

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/sex/2012/06/sexual-freedom-vs-sexual-addiction-the-gay-male-conundrum/

The high correlation between propensity to sex addiction and being a homosexual male supports the hypothesis of linkage between sex addiction and being gay.  Thus, homosexuality itself could be an addictive behavior for some people (about 10 percent of all gay men, if the link is to be believed).

What percentage of all drinkers are alcoholics?
Ten percent.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 03:25:04 am »
Open Mouth.  Insert Foot.

If you're a republican:  Repeat ad nauseam.

It's not that we're being perceived as being anti-religious when you say that.   

Of course, 'we' couldn't care less what anyone's person POV is on homosexuality.

Thinking back....there's a great moment in the movie Enemy of the State, where the senior law partners of the Law Firm are getting ready to release Will Smith (Robert Dean).....(a rogue CIA team has framed him with photos, etc.)

They ask him across the conference room table..."Are you having an affair with......?"

He doesn't miss a beat and retorts something like, "Tom...how many times a week do you cheat on your wife?  Masturbate??

Not giving an opportunity for an answer, he adds, "That's right!  It's none of my DAMNED business!!  And neither is my friendship with........."

Perry would NEVER get a question like that again, had he done that.

That's what the Marlboro Man would do.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 03:32:26 am »

The point is that as commentary like this mounts up, so does the argument in support of making them a protected group.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 03:36:49 am »
Who decided that "conservatism" had adopted the religious position of certain denominations, as essential political dogma?

Which section of the constitution covers sexual topics?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 04:03:09 am »
What Governor Perry is talking about are traits although he doesn't use the word. Traits account for everything we are and how we do everything.  They even determine the most mundane of personal attributes like how you laugh.
Mother Nature is a strange ole gal. She constantly experiments with traits in every product (carbon unit) that she produces, over eons of time. We call it evolution.
When she makes a slip up and assigns too many traits in the wrong proportions, she makes a homosexual male or female OR a genius or an imbecile OR anything else that a combination of traits will produce.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 04:37:45 am »
What Governor Perry is talking about are traits although he doesn't use the word. Traits account for everything we are and how we do everything.  They even determine the most mundane of personal attributes like how you laugh.
Mother Nature is a strange ole gal. She constantly experiments with traits in every product (carbon unit) that she produces, over eons of time. We call it evolution.
When she makes a slip up and assigns too many traits in the wrong proportions, she makes a homosexual male or female OR a genius or an imbecile OR anything else that a combination of traits will produce.

That's right... explaining that gays are actually evolutionary errors will make them seem less of a protected class in the eyes of the law.

It's amazing.

With all the crap going on around the world, and all the crap going on in this country, we want to talk about homosexuals.

The debt stands at $14.5 trillion dollars. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

The real total unemployment rate in America stands at 37.2%. Let's talk about homosexuals.

Al Qaeda is on the rise, bigger and better than before. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Benghazi, the VA, the IRS, Fast and Furious, credit downgrades, Rosengate, Solyndra. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Unsecured borders. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Something very similar to the U.S.S.R. growing to the East. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Good idea.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 09:25:02 am »
It might be that Perry is purposefully reaching out to the Christian base of the GOP.  The 2016 Republican nominee needs to win primaries first.

I don't really care about homosexuality.  It doesn't offend my Christian values because I don't care to judge the gays.  That doesn't make me a supporter of to the gay cause.

Perry's comments don't bother me in the least.  I don't think it hurts his brand in 2016, and I see no need to condemn him as being inarticulate or ineptly falling into the media trap.  I'm not certain Perry was off message. 

Offline olde north church

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2014, 11:07:42 am »
That's right... explaining that gays are actually evolutionary errors will make them seem less of a protected class in the eyes of the law.

It's amazing.

With all the crap going on around the world, and all the crap going on in this country, we want to talk about homosexuals.

The debt stands at $14.5 trillion dollars. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

The real total unemployment rate in America stands at 37.2%. Let's talk about homosexuals.

Al Qaeda is on the rise, bigger and better than before. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Benghazi, the VA, the IRS, Fast and Furious, credit downgrades, Rosengate, Solyndra. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Unsecured borders. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Something very similar to the U.S.S.R. growing to the East. Let's talk about homosexuals instead.

Good idea.

Do you recall when Stephanapolos (sp?) asked the question about birth control to the Republican candidates, out of the blue?  Next thing you know, that bimbo Fluke, stops having sex long enough to become a media example?  Have no doubt, that's what's coming out!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2014, 11:56:44 am »
Ten percent.

Well, then, there you go.  Valid comparison.