Author Topic: Too Damn Close:North Carolina Nuclear Bomb "Could Have Detonated"  (Read 453 times)

SPQR

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Too Damn Close:North Carolina Nuclear Bomb "Could Have Detonated"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:40:53 AM »
Broken Arrow's are way more common than most people realize. It's not a comforting thought, when the USA has an estimated 27 nukes that are under the category "We haven't got a clue where they are" and Russia has anywhere up to 200 warheads in the same category. The Russians even have a charmingly deep, circular and highly radioactive lake as a souvenir from one of theirs.

Interesting reading to follow up: http://www.history.com/news/9-tales-of-broken-arrows-thermonuclear-near-misses-throughout-history

It does make you wonder sometimes how we've managed to be as lucky as we have thus far.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

Re: Too Damn Close:North Carolina Nuclear Bomb "Could Have Detonated"
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:07:50 AM »
Broken Arrow's are way more common than most people realize. It's not a comforting thought, when the USA has an estimated 27 nukes that are under the category "We haven't got a clue where they are" and Russia has anywhere up to 200 warheads in the same category. The Russians even have a charmingly deep, circular and highly radioactive lake as a souvenir from one of theirs.

Interesting reading to follow up: http://www.history.com/news/9-tales-of-broken-arrows-thermonuclear-near-misses-throughout-history

It does make you wonder sometimes how we've managed to be as lucky as we have thus far.

Lake Karachay was the favorite dumping ground of the Russians. I think after a couple close calls(Palamores,Goldsboro,and Thule) the failsafe arming fuze worked as designed.The 1980 Damascus, Arkansas incident involving the Titan II missile was interesting but again no radioactive spill.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:10:20 AM by Trigger »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf