Author Topic: London's Victoria train station evacuated after Second World War bomb found in nearby street  (Read 546 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Honestly, we lose more road crews this way ....

One of central London's busiest train stations has been evacuated following the discovery of an unexploded bomb in a nearby residential street.

The explosive, a remnant of the bombing campaign endured by the capital during the Second World War, was found in Peabody Avenue in Pimlico, a short distance south of the major transport hub.

A British Transport Police spokesman said that no trains were leaving or entering the stations and a 'controlled evacuation is taking place.

The London Fire Brigade press office confirmed 10 firefighters are currently at the scene, which has been cordoned off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653841/BREAKING-NEWS-Londons-Victoria-train-station-evacuated-Second-World-War-bomb-nearby-street.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

has the rumbling caused by a train/subway ever caused an old munition to detonate?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Happened a few times after the war, especially when they were extending tracks and building new suburbs. Nothing in the last 20 years though.

Oceander

Happened a few times after the war, especially when they were extending tracks and building new suburbs. Nothing in the last 20 years though.

I'd have assumed it would have happened early on.  I was just wondering about recently.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Given the amount of ordinance expended by all sides in both world wars, I'm surprised more people aren't killed or injured by unexploded ordinance in Europe on a regular basis.

I know for decades after WWI, people, usually farmers, were coming across poison gas shells/canisters while plowing fields and would be killed or seriously injured by it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

Given the amount of ordinance expended by all sides in both world wars, I'm surprised more people aren't killed or injured by unexploded ordinance in Europe on a regular basis.

I know for decades after WWI, people, usually farmers, were coming across poison gas shells/canisters while plowing fields and would be killed or seriously injured by it.

my thoughts as well.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In the UK, there are somewhere between 5 and 20 UXO found per year, even now. Usually by construction companies building new homes or supermarkets, but road crews and the Thames dredgers find a lot as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:52:00 am by EC »