Author Topic: Nevada Democrats pick ‘None of these candidates’ for governor  (Read 350 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
And the winner is -- no one.

More Democratic primary voters cast ballots for "None of these candidates" than for any actual ones in Tuesday's nominating contest for governor in Nevada, a testament to a weak field looking to challenge popular Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) and a unique Nevada election law that allows voters the none-of-the-above option.

With all precincts reporting, "None" led the way with 30 percent of the vote, according to an unofficial tally from the Associated Press. Finishing second was former state economic development director Robert Goodman, who won 25 percent of the vote.

Goodman will be the nominee because state law reads, "Only votes cast for the named candidates shall be counted in determining nomination or election to any statewide office or presidential nominations or the selection of presidential electors."

Sandoval easily won renomination and will be a substantial favorite in the fall.

The "None" option in Nevada dates back to the 1970s. In the wake of the Watergate scandal, the option was offered to counteract apathy about governance and politicians. It survived a court challenge earlier this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/06/11/nevada-democrats-pick-none-of-these-candidates-for-governor/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

Re: Nevada Democrats pick ‘None of these candidates’ for governor
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:52:05 pm »
I've been saying for 2 decades that "none of the above" is the only way Americans have left to express their displeasure with the power mongers in the Politburo. :hands:  I think FEDERAL ELECTIONS should have that option.  I'll bet it would take a Constitutional Amendment to get it enacted, though.  You know the politburo would treat this with less respect that they treat the TEA Party. :politics: