Author Topic: The Ten Most Corrupt States in America  (Read 679 times)

Online mountaineer

The Ten Most Corrupt States in America
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »
By Christopher Matthews
Fortune Magazine
The 10 most corrupt states in the U.S.
 Christopher Matthews 
  @FortuneMagazine
  June 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

New research takes a look at decades of corruption convictions to find the crookedest states in the union.

When we think of government corruption (as one tends to do),  our biased minds often gravitate to thoughts of military juntas and third world governments. But, of course, corruption is everywhere, in one form or another. And it’s costing U.S. citizens big time.

A new study from researchers at the University of Hong Kong and the Indiana University estimates that corruption on the state level is costing Americans in the 10 most corrupt states an average of $1,308 per year, or 5.2% of those states’ average expenditures per year.

The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008 as well as patterns in state spending to develop a corruption index that estimates the most and least corrupt states in the union. Based on this method, the the most corrupt states are:

1. Mississippi
 2. Louisiana
 3. Tennessee
 4. Illinois
 5. Pennsylvania
 6. Alabama
 7. Alaska
 8. South Dakota
 9. Kentucky
 10. Florida
Rest of article

Yes, I was surprised by some of them!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Ten Most Corrupt States in America
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:39:16 pm »
How in the **** did New York not make this list?
The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008
Oh, that's how. They didn't really go after the politicians in New York until 2008, beginning with Spitzer's call-girl scandal. In New York, they simply get away with it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »
I don't know anything about South Dakota, but was surprised to see that state and not West Virginia on the list.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »
How in the **** did New York not make this list? Oh, that's how. They didn't really go after the politicians in New York until 2008, beginning with Spitzer's call-girl scandal. In New York, they simply get away with it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the same ten states have an Attorney General that is actually going after political corruption in their respective states unlike New York and a host of others!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »
How in the **** did New York not make this list? Oh, that's how. They didn't really go after the politicians in New York until 2008, beginning with Spitzer's call-girl scandal. In New York, they simply get away with it.

that, or maybe the "good" folks in Albany paid off enough of their staffers to keep NYS off the list.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:15:23 pm »
I don't know anything about South Dakota, but was surprised to see that state and not West Virginia on the list.
Got injuns?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »
"The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008"

LOL This 'report' or list is pure crap. It is bassackwards. They were too dense to realize that 'convictions' means that at least someone is paying attention. It is the States with the least convictions would be more worthy of study.

But, whatever. Another day another list, or survey, or report about something from an unknown group with an unknown agenda.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »
"The researchers studied more than 25,000 convictions of public officials for violation of federal corruption laws between 1976 and 2008"

LOL This 'report' or list is pure crap. It is bassackwards. They were too dense to realize that 'convictions' means that at least someone is paying attention. It is the States with the least convictions would be more worthy of study.

But, whatever. Another day another list, or survey, or report about something from an unknown group with an unknown agenda.

Exactly right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:43 am »

that, or maybe the "good" folks in Albany paid off enough of their staffers to keep NYS off the list.
I remember last year a story came out that my local state senator was claiming a homestead exemption on her house in a suburb of Albany-- not only that, she was also claiming a homestead exemption on the house in her district, under her husband's name. That is a big no-no.

All of a sudden the town assessor came out and said it was all a big mistake and a misunderstanding and, a few months later, the state suddenly decided to wipe all the homestead exemptions off the books and make everyone re-register.

Did I mention that she is a Republican?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:37:38 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »
I guess New Jersey is not part of the United States?  :shrug:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02