Author Topic: Eric Cantor Loses Primary to David Brat; Post-Election Analysis  (Read 10108 times)

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Eric Cantor Loses Primary to David Brat; Post-Election Analysis
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:22 am »
Fox babbling that this means amnesty is dead and Republicans will lose the 2016 election because they'll now be afraid to vote for amnesty.

FNC became unwatchable until they had Coulter and Ingraham come on......  FNC is rapidly becoming the voice of the GOPe.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 01:01:04 am »
And Fox now spewing that Democrats are just thrilled because this means the Republican Party are the Tea Party extremists and Democrats can beat them easily.

Spewing GOPe crap is what FNC does, with few exceptions.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:46 am »
That would be a move to make only if Boehner wants to lose the majority and his Speakership.   :whistle:

Exactly right!!!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08:01 am »
Rep. Steve Stockman ‏@SteveWorks4You 26m

I want to thank Eric Cantor for his service, but this should be wake-up call to GOP leadership. No one is safe if they abandon principle.

That bears repeating!

No one is safe if they abandon principle

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 01:09:51 am »
STFU Hume.  Any "patch to citizenship" is amnesty.

Go back and kiss some more GOPe ass.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 01:10:08 am »
Vox ‏@voxdotcom 2m

Cantor out-fundraised Brat by a 25-to-1 margin and lost anyway

And this alone will send shockwaves through the inside the beltway crowd!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 01:11:08 am »
That bears repeating!

:thumbsup:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 01:12:11 am »
STFU Hume.  Any "patch to citizenship" is amnesty.

Go back and kiss some more GOPe ass.

They don't get it, WtP don't want any IR, NONE!!!!

We want the border SEALED and existing LAWS enforced!!!!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2014, 01:13:35 am »
That bears repeating!

I wish we could have done this to Mitch McConnell.   8888crybaby
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2014, 01:14:57 am »
I have to say I didn't see this coming. Of course, I've been checking out of the races this go around. I'm getting sick of politics.

It goes in cycles for me. I can take just so much of this crap before my brain automatically kicks in the Andy Griffith Show marathon mode.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2014, 01:15:08 am »
Graham wins too...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2014, 01:15:23 am »
I wish we could have done this to Mitch McConnell.   8888crybaby

As I've posted numerous times before, it's much easier to primary House GOP members than it is to get an entire state to join in on that message. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Dengar01

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 01:15:45 am »
This is outstanding news!!! Hope the rest of the establishment wakes up!!! No amnesty!!!  :patriot:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
They don't get it, WtP don't want any IR, NONE!!!!

We want the border SEALED and existing LAWS enforced!!!!

B I N G O ! ! !

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 01:32:40 am »
And this alone will send shockwaves through the inside the beltway crowd!

Sadly, for most their greatest fear will be the prospect of having to negotiate their personal landscaping services  with English-speaking persons who request wage statements at year's end.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline flowers

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:24 am »
THIS IS HUGE!!!!! 

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 01:38:33 am »
The spin now is that Brat won because of Democrat crossover votes, because they want to run against the "racist Tea Party guy" in November.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 01:59:13 am »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/10/eric-cantor-s-primary-loss-is-a-political-earthquake-and-it-s-awful.html

Eric Cantor’s Primary Loss Is a Political Earthquake. And It’s Awful.
How did the No. 2 man in the House lose a primary? Chalk it up to immigration and the Tea Party. It’s one of the most shocking losses in U.S. electoral history—and it’s bad for America.

Here’s the thing: Eric Cantor did not fall asleep in this race. He spent around $5 million. He ran lots of TV ads. He knew this was going to be a close one. He campaigned. And he still got creamed.

And here’s the other thing: Cantor was not an enemy of the Tea Party. He was in fact the Tea Party’s guy in the leadership for much of the Barack Obama era. He carried the tea into the speaker’s office. And still he got creamed.

Creamed! Has a party leader ever lost a primary like this? Stop and take this in. Like any political journalist, I’m a little bit of a historian of this sort of thing, although I readily admit my knowledge isn’t encyclopedic. But I sure can’t think of anything. Tom Foley, the Democratic House speaker in the early 1990s, lost reelection while he was speaker, but that was in the general, to a Republican, which is a whole different ballgame. And he was the first sitting speaker to lose an election since…get this…1862! But a primary? The No. 2 man in the House, losing a primary?

So what happened here? Obviously, first, it’s about immigration. That was David Brat’s (that’s the guy who won) whole campaign: Cantor was a liberal who supported a path to citizenship for the swarthy illegals. (He didn’t say that, of course, at least the swarthy part.) Immigration reform is D-E-A-D. There is no chance the House will touch it. That means it’s dead for this Congress, which means that next Congress, the Senate would have to take the lead in passing it again. (The Senate’s passage of the current bill expires when this Congress ends.) And the Senate isn’t going to touch it in the next Congress, even if the Democrats hold on to the majority. Those handful of Republicans who backed reform last year will be terrified to do so. And it’s difficult to say when immigration reform might have another shot. Maybe the first two years of President Clinton’s second term. Maybe.

Second, the reports of the Tea Party’s death are…well, you know. Cantor’s loss is a huge disruption of the narrative that the Republican establishment had taken control this year. And throw in the coming Chris McDaniel-Thad Cochran runoff in the Mississippi Senate race, which many now expect Tea Partier McDaniel to win, and you have a narrative in which the Tea Party can say, “We’re still calling the shots.” Cantor also has spent the past couple of years talking about education, which, any Tea Party person knows, is code for black, city, unions. Other Republicans in the House won’t miss that message, and they won’t try to carve out any “interesting” legislative profiles for themselves.

Third, what does it mean for the country? Hard to say yet, but bad, surely. The House GOP wasn’t exactly ready to start cutting deals with Obama even with Cantor in the leadership. Now that he’s been beaten by a right-winger…no one, not a single Republican in the House will take a chance on anything. The legislative process, already shut down, will only be more so.

And Brat himself, fourth, is a star overnight. I’d hate to be his booker or scheduler. His Wednesday is going to be a roller-coaster ride from Rush Limbaugh to Fox to Laura Ingraham to who knows what. He is a hero to these people. Remember how Scott Brown attained wattage in 2009 by beating Democrat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts? Brown was a major star then. Brat is going to make Brown look like a nameless session guitar player.

I’m sure there’s ramification five, six, seven, and eight that I’m not even thinking of right now. We’ll see. But this is an earthquake. One of the most shocking electoral nights in American history. Did I really say that? I did. It’s true. And it’s bad.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 02:01:53 am »
If Michael Tomasky and the idiots at The Daily Beast (aka Newsweek) think its "awful" then it must be a good thing.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 02:03:16 am »
The spin now is that Brat won because of Democrat crossover votes, because they want to run against the "racist Tea Party guy" in November.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/06/ben-cooter-jones_n_5463196.html
Cooter Has A Plan To Unseat Eric Cantor. It's So Crazy It Just Might Work.
Posted: 06/06/2014
Former congressman Ben Jones (D-Ga.), better known as "Cooter" from Dukes of Hazzard, has a plan to knock Eric Cantor out of the House. He's urging his fellow Democrats to cross over and vote for a tea party-backed candidate in Virginia's primary election.

Cooter, who ran against Cantor in 2002, has penned an open letter calling upon Democrats in his former Virginia district to vote in the open primary next Tuesday for tea party opponent Dave Brat in order to defeat U.S. House Majority Leader Cantor.

Crossing party lines to vote in an open primary has a long tradition in the solidly one-party South, Cooter argues in his letter. "By voting for David Brat in the Seventh District Republican primary, we Democrats, independents, and Libertarians can make a big difference in American politics," he argues. "It is your right to cast that vote. It is an 'open' primary and it doesn’t preclude anyone from voting anyway they wish in November. It may be the only way to empower those who want to make a statement about the dysfunctional Congress and 'politics as usual.'"

Below is the open letter by Jones provided to The Huffington Post:
To The Editor:

There was a time not so long ago when the South was called “The Solid South” by the national Democratic Party and the national press. The Republican Party in the South was, where it existed at all, historically on “the disabled list.” The two-party system in the South was “The Democrats who were in, and the Democrats who were out.”

So the action was in the Democratic primary, where the eventual winner was inevitably coronated. So that was where Democrats voted, where Republicans voted, and where independents, libertarians and everybody else voted. The general election in November was an afterthought. It was, after all, a foregone conclusion that the Democrats would win. For many years in Virginia, that was most likely someone connected with the Byrd Machine.

With the shift to Southern Republicanism that began in the South in the 1970’s, the game has changed. But not all that much. Congressional re-districting (in which the inmates decide who is going to run the asylum) has resulted in Virginia having Congressional races for what are clearly “safe seats,” that is, seats drawn by the incumbents, of the incumbents, and for the incumbents. So the general election decision is made in the primaries. Unless there is an unexpected lightning strike, that is simply going to happen. It is the next thing to being disenfranchised.

But by voting for David Brat in the Seventh District Republican primary, we Democrats, independents, and Libertarians can make a big difference in American politics. It is your right to cast that vote. It is an “open” primary and it doesn’t preclude anyone from voting anyway they wish in November. It may be the only way to empower those who want to make a statement about the dysfunctional Congress and “politics as usual.”

From what I know of Dave Brat, he is a good, honest, and honorable man. And from what I know of Eric Cantor, I can say only that he ran a truly dishonorable campaign against me back in 2002. He ducked debates, slandered me in slick mailings, questioned my patriotism and even mocked my Southern heritage. He simply cannot be taken at his word. You can call that “sour grapes” if you want to, but I am just telling it the way it was, and surely is. I can tell you that you will likely hear the same thing from his other former opponents, both Republican and Democrat.

Under Cantor’s Majority Leadership, the Congress has sunk to its lowest public standing in history. Our nation has lost faith in our most important institutions. This is not a laughing matter. It is a national crisis. Eric Cantor should not be rewarded with another term.

Every 7th District voter, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Independent can take an historic action on Tuesday, June 10th. A vote for David Brat will be heard not just throughout Washington, D.C. but around the world.

Ben Jones
Washington, Virginia
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:48:40 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 02:09:44 am »
If Michael Tomasky and the idiots at The Daily Beast (aka Newsweek) think its "awful" then it must be a good thing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 02:15:10 am »
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/06/10/who-is-david-brat-meet-the-economics-professor-who-defeated-eric-cantor/

College professor David Brat knocked off House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) Tuesday in the biggest congressional upset in years.

Mr. Brat ran an underfunded campaign based in part on Mr. Cantor’s supposed support for comprehensive immigration reform, when Mr. Cantor has for months been seen by immigration reform advocates as the key roadblock to House legislation.
Mr. Brat was so unknown that his Wikipedia entry was only two sentences before Tuesday night.

Mr. Brat, an economics professor at Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Va., had support from radio host Laura Ingraham, who hosted a rally with him in a Richmond suburb last week that centered upon Mr. Brat’s opposition to immigration reform.

Mr. Brat appeared more interested in campaigning to make a point than in winning. The Washington Post reported last month that he no-showed meetings with key conservative activists in the capital. His excuse: He had final exams to grade.

There are clues to Mr. Brat’s ideology in his academic CV. His current book project is titled “Ethics as Leading Economic Indicator? What went Wrong? Notes on the Judeo-Christian Tradition and Human Reason.”

His other published works include the titles “God and Advanced Mammon – Can Theological Types Handle Usury and Capitalism?” and “An Analysis of the Moral Foundations in Ayn Rand.”

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2014, 02:17:21 am »
And here come the establishment hit pieces from someone who takes pride in kissing liberal GOP butt.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2014, 02:19:07 am »
Short term, this is a good thing. 

Long term, the Republicans will not touch immigration reform, which means that Hillary wins in a walk in 2016.  The Hispanics will be done with the GOP after this year.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.