Author Topic: White House: Hagel, not Obama, made final decision to swap Bergdahl....[updated]  (Read 2150 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
more here

Out: Bergdahl deal was an Obama triumph. In: Um, Chuck Hagel did it

We will need a live thread tomorrow when scapegoat Hagel testifies... :2popcorn: :pop41: :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/208803-obama-shifting-blame-for-bergdahl-trade-to-hagel

June 10, 2014, 11:29 am
Administration shifting blame on Bergdahl trade to Hagel?

By Justin Sink

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) said the Obama administration could be pushing Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel as the "fall guy" for the controversial prisoner swap that freed Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl after five years in Taliban captivity.

Administration briefers told his committee that Hagel was ultimately the one who decided to execute the swap, McKeon told Fox News on Tuesday.

"It sounded like it was a presidential program all the way, [but] now that there's been a little pushback yesterday in our briefing, the briefers from the various departments were asked who made the final decision, and they said Secretary Hagel," McKeon said. "So I hope they're not just pushing him out to be a fall guy for this."

The California lawmaker suggested the administration might be looking to shift blame from the president because "there's been some negative feedback on this."

"I think people see, now that they are learning a little bit more about the five terrorists that were released from Guantánamo, there's lots of concern," McKeon said.

McKeon also called the perceived effort to shift blame "unsettling."

"I think people understand who made this decision," he continued. "This goes right to the top, or maybe we don't know who's in charge of the White House. That's the thing that's almost as unsettling as thinking the president made the decision, and now they're saying Secretary Hagel made the decision. I think they're parsing words, worrying about who gets the blame, if things really go bad."

During an appearance earlier this month on "Meet the Press," Hagel said that President Obama was the one who made the decision to trade Bergdahl for five Taliban militants being held at the Guantánamo Bay prison.

"I signed off on the decision. The president made the ultimate decision. We did spend time looking at this," Hagel said.

A pair of new polls released Tuesday showed the American public disapproved of the swap.

In a CBS News survey, 45 percent said they disapproved of freeing the detainees to secure Bergdahl's release, while 37 percent backed the move. A majority — 56 percent — said President Obama gave up too much, while just 28 percent called the terms of the exchange reasonable.

Those findings were echoed in a USA Today / Pew Poll in which 43 percent said Obama should not make the trade, while just 34 percent backed it as the right thing to do.

Obama has said that he would make "absolutely no apologies" for the deal.

"I'm never surprised by controversies that are whipped up in Washington. That's par for the course," Obama said during a press conference last week in Brussels. "We have a basic principle: we do not leave anybody wearing the American uniform behind." 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

SPQR

He told the BBC it was a "unanimous decision" last week.

He's testifying tomorrow.

Getting my popcorn ready.......

He better to be prepared asked hard questions
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:30:18 am by Trigger »

Offline Lando Lincoln

Of course it was Hagel.  But Obama is still the guy who killed bin Laden, right?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
He better to be prepared asked hard questions

Ever seen Chuckie testify before Congress??  He's one of the most painful speakers to listen to since Cap Weinberger on a good day....

SPQR

Ever seen Chuckie testify before Congress??  He's one of the most painful speakers to listen to since Cap Weinberger on a good day....

Hagel will answer any question. Buck McKeon is in charge of the committee. McKeon will throw every hard question at him.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:18:08 am by Trigger »

Offline flowers

Offline flowers

Now the White House says Hagel made final call on Bergdahl as criticism of Obama over prisoner swap mounts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2653672/Now-White-House-says-Hagel-final-call-Bergdahl-criticism-Obama-prisoner-swap-mounts.html

from the comment section....

He was probably on the golf course when the decision was made, and learned about it from the press like he does everything else. Worst president EVER.
Click to rate

Bob Ho, Mason, 22 minutes ago

always the same, blame the Bagel. Would you like cream cheese with that whine?
Click to rate

dartleyk, austerlitz, United States, 41 minutes ago

another lie folks: hagel is on audio saying he was on board with it, signed off on it, but 'the president had the final decision'; obama can't even pick out a scapegoat that works
Click to rate

David Hawkins, small town ms, United States, 41 minutes ago

This lying, vindictive, sulking president is doing everything he can to destroy America, I.m over hope and change.
Click to rate

David Hawkins, small town ms, United States, 53 minutes ago

This lying, vindictive, sulking president is doing everything he can to destroy America, I.m over hope and change.
Click to rate

crmitchell, dalton, United States, 1 hour ago

bend over, Chuck. Its your turn to take one for the Gipper !
Click to rate

crmitchell, dalton, United States, 1 hour ago

Bend over, Chuck - its your turn to take one for the Gipper !
Click to rate

Brian Sciullo, fort lauderdale, United States, 1 hour ago

You can never blame Bush he was fault less. We skipped over 8 years from Clinton right to Obama. I and every America with any since will take the Obama Years over the Bush years. Be realistic and stop pretending
Click to rate

samuellenn, parkton, 1 hour ago

Another thing Obama will not take responsibility for.
Click to rate

Sherry S., Memphis_Tn_USA, 1 hour ago

3rd spin and counting. If Obama ever takes responsibility for something half of the USA will faint.

Offline flowers

1. Health in danger

2. Previously consulted with congress

3. Swiftboating

4. It was an oversight, sorry

5. Platoon full of psychopaths

6. Taliban threated to kill

7. No evidence converted to Islam, fraternized with Taliban, and declared jihad

8. Physically abused, confined in cage

9. “Raggedy" platoon

10. "No matter what, to leave an American behind in the hands of people who would torture him, cut of his head, do any number of things"

11. Wasn't only soldier to 'walk off' post

12. Only tenuous link to U.S. deaths

13.Hagel, NOT Obama, made the final call on #Bergdahl swap

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:13:41 am by flowers »

Offline flowers

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/208803-obama-shifting-blame-for-bergdahl-trade-to-hagel

June 10, 2014, 11:29 am
Administration shifting blame on Bergdahl trade to Hagel?

By Justin Sink

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) said the Obama administration could be pushing Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel as the "fall guy" for the controversial prisoner swap that freed Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl after five years in Taliban captivity.

Administration briefers told his committee that Hagel was ultimately the one who decided to execute the swap, McKeon told Fox News on Tuesday.

"It sounded like it was a presidential program all the way, [but] now that there's been a little pushback yesterday in our briefing, the briefers from the various departments were asked who made the final decision, and they said Secretary Hagel," McKeon said. "So I hope they're not just pushing him out to be a fall guy for this."

The California lawmaker suggested the administration might be looking to shift blame from the president because "there's been some negative feedback on this."

"I think people see, now that they are learning a little bit more about the five terrorists that were released from Guantánamo, there's lots of concern," McKeon said.

McKeon also called the perceived effort to shift blame "unsettling."

"I think people understand who made this decision," he continued. "This goes right to the top, or maybe we don't know who's in charge of the White House. That's the thing that's almost as unsettling as thinking the president made the decision, and now they're saying Secretary Hagel made the decision. I think they're parsing words, worrying about who gets the blame, if things really go bad."

During an appearance earlier this month on "Meet the Press," Hagel said that President Obama was the one who made the decision to trade Bergdahl for five Taliban militants being held at the Guantánamo Bay prison.

"I signed off on the decision. The president made the ultimate decision. We did spend time looking at this," Hagel said.

A pair of new polls released Tuesday showed the American public disapproved of the swap.

In a CBS News survey, 45 percent said they disapproved of freeing the detainees to secure Bergdahl's release, while 37 percent backed the move. A majority — 56 percent — said President Obama gave up too much, while just 28 percent called the terms of the exchange reasonable.

Those findings were echoed in a USA Today / Pew Poll in which 43 percent said Obama should not make the trade, while just 34 percent backed it as the right thing to do.

Obama has said that he would make "absolutely no apologies" for the deal.

"I'm never surprised by controversies that are whipped up in Washington. That's par for the course," Obama said during a press conference last week in Brussels. "We have a basic principle: we do not leave anybody wearing the American uniform behind."

What a coward obama is.

Offline flowers

One would think if hagel was really the guy who called this swap, he would have been in the Rose Garden right next to obama and the Bergdahls.

Offline flowers

Of course it was Hagel.  But Obama is still the guy who killed bin Laden, right?

BwahahahahahaGood grief all one can do to keep sanity is laugh right now.

Offline flowers

Why haven't they blamed Bush?  Or have they blamed him and I missed it.

Offline flowers

HAGEL: “The president made the ultimate decision” on Bergdahl trade [VIDEO]

http://therightscoop.com/hagel-the-president-made-the-ultimate-decision-on-bergdahl-trade-video/

But that’s not what Hagel told MSNBC on Meet The Press last week. He indicated clearly that the president made the ultimate call on the Bergdahl trade:

00:00

00:00

“We found an opportunity. We took that opportunity. I’ll stand by that decision. I signed off on the decision. The president made the ultimate decision. We did spend time looking at this. As to Guantanamo, the president has made very clear he wants to close Guantanamo.”

SPQR

If you can't trust Congress to keep their damned mouths shut if needed, America is electing the wrong people.

You can tell Congressmen and women to keep their mouths shut. You just be in the necessary committees such as the intelligence,State Department, House Foreign Relations and Defense. These departments have security oaths they must keep when they are assigned to these commitees not to leak information.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/secrecy/RS20748.pdf
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:38:18 am by Trigger »