Author Topic: White House: There is Plenty of Oil but It Must “Stay In the Ground.”  (Read 330 times)

rangerrebew

White House: There is Plenty of Oil but It Must “Stay In the Ground.”

Posted 8 hours ago by Mark Horne filed under Economy, Energy, Environment, Global Warming

Thomas Friedman interviewed the President in the New York Times and this exchange blew my mind:

Thomas Friedman: Every morning you get a security briefing from the intelligence community on global threats; do you now also get the same on environmental threats?

Barack Obama: I do.

I don’t know which is worse: that the President might be lying in order to propagandize us or that he might actually get these “environmental” briefings because everyone at the White House is really that delusional.

We have a major conflict escalating with Russia, the economy is incredibly unstable, and the Obama Administration wants to pretend we have environmental threats.

Do you ever want to just go off on the climate deniers in Congress?

“Yeah, absolutely,” the president said with a laugh.

Right back at you, Mr. President, since you are talking about perhaps the majority of scientists.

What I found most bizarre was that Barack Obama freely admitted that we have plenty of oil but that we are not allowed to use it.

For starters, Obama is aware that we can’t just keep burning oil, coal and gas until they run out. As the International Energy Agency warned, “no more than one-third of proven reserves of fossil fuels can be consumed prior to 2050” — unless carbon capture and storage technology is widely deployed — otherwise we’ll bust through the limit of a 2 degree Celsius rise in average temperature that climate scientists believe will unleash truly disruptive ice melt, sea level rise and weather extremes. The rest has to stay in the ground, and we need to steadily find cleaner alternatives and more energy efficiency. I asked Obama if he agreed with that analysis.

“Science is science,” he said. “And there is no doubt that if we burned all the fossil fuel that’s in the ground right now that the planet’s going to get too hot and the consequences could be dire.”

So we can’t burn it all?

“We’re not going to be able to burn it all. Over the course of the next several decades, we’re going to have to build a ramp from how we currently use energy to where we need to use energy. And we’re not going to suddenly turn off a switch and suddenly we’re no longer using fossil fuels, but we have to use this time wisely, so that you have a tapering off of fossil fuels replaced by clean energy sources that are not releasing carbon. ... But I very much believe in keeping that 2 [degree] Celsius target as a goal.”

In the midst of a dire economy that Obama has done nothing to improve, this is the kind of thing the President thinks about to make himself feel important.

But the real point here is that we are being told that our elites will be permitted to keep using their internal combustion engines, their private jets, and their automobiles. John Kerry has already started living the future that they want. They will restrict the hoi polloi from cheap efficient energy while will get to use gasoline-driven vehicles because they are so important. They envision having access to so-called “fossil fuels” and using them while they force the rest of us to survive on “green energy.”

They really mean to impoverish us. They aren’t even hiding it very much anymore.

Read more at http://politicaloutcast.com/2014/06/white-house-plenty-oil-must-stay-ground/#5F7YgTxSSqzfmG4D.99