Author Topic: Students quote Hitler in yearbook, upsetting community (but not students)  (Read 899 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

News Video on Link.

http://q13fox.com/2014/06/09/students-quote-hitler-in-high-school-yearbook/#axzz34CwXKBwQ

LYNDEN, Wash. — Controversy is brewing at a local high school after students were allowed to quote Adolf Hitler in their 2014 yearbook.

Now the school district plans to come up with changes to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Graduating seniors from Lynden High School were allowed to pick a famous quote to appear near their yearbook portrait. Three students chose quotes from Hitler — and they all made it into the yearbook.

These are the quotes which has the district rethinking their yearbook review plans;
•“Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.”
•“He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.”
•“If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it.”

Now, many in the tight-knit community are upset.

“My husband fought in WWII and I’m just a little bit fed up by the whole thing,” said Doreen Casbeer.

The yearbook publication was being overseen by a school staff member, but officials only discovered the quotes after the yearbooks were passed out to students.

Most kids who talked to Q13 Fox News didn’t understand why people are upset.

“As long as (it’s) a good, meaningful quote or something,” said student Josanna Diacogiannis “Hitler is not a role model or anything.”

“I can see why people would be offended by them, but personally I’m not going to make a big deal about it,” said junior class student Cameron Stevenson.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

stupid idiots.  they could have quite easily found quotations from any number of other authors that express the same sentiments.

Offline NavyCanDo

"Most kids who talked to Q13 Fox News didn’t understand why people are upset."

Why should we be shocked at that. Most students in Washington could not tell you what War the United States won it's independence. If they don't know that, how would they know anything about Hitler? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtDF-z77wk#t=60

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

SPQR

News Video on Link.

http://q13fox.com/2014/06/09/students-quote-hitler-in-high-school-yearbook/#axzz34CwXKBwQ

LYNDEN, Wash. — Controversy is brewing at a local high school after students were allowed to quote Adolf Hitler in their 2014 yearbook.

Now the school district plans to come up with changes to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Graduating seniors from Lynden High School were allowed to pick a famous quote to appear near their yearbook portrait. Three students chose quotes from Hitler — and they all made it into the yearbook.

These are the quotes which has the district rethinking their yearbook review plans;
•“Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.”

“My husband fought in WWII and I’m just a little bit fed up by the whole thing,” said Doreen Casbeer.

The yearbook publication was being overseen by a school staff member, but officials only discovered the quotes after the yearbooks were passed out to students.

“As long as (it’s) a good, meaningful quote or something,” said student Josanna Diacogiannis “Hitler is not a role model or anything.”

“I can see why people would be offended by them, but personally I’m not going to make a big deal about it,” said junior class student Cameron Stevenson.

It sounds like that they just had a bad Yearbook staff that was not monitored by the teacher Or the teacher allowed the quotes to be entered into the Yearbook. I can tell you, that my Yearbook was filtered several times before it went into publication. Anything that involving print at my high school had to go through a series of filters before it through final print.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:15:44 am by Trigger »

Offline RaccoonRevolution

"What great fortune for those in power that people do not think." Adolph Hitler

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few. Adolf Hitler.

Of course, the delicate little snowflakes who all have their participation trophies neatly lined up assume they are the few. After all, everyone tells them so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

I wonder what percentage who were "upset" voted for boy emperor?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

rangerrebew

I find it interesting they can quote Hitler but I'm quite sure they didn't study Mein Kampf in school.  I wonder who indoctrinated them and where it was done.

Offline musiclady

News Video on Link.

It's really frightening that someone who hails the importance of propaganda to make things seem the opposite of what they are, thinks that it's "good" and "meaningful."

It's not only the ignorance that scares me about these kids.  It's the thorough indoctrination they have already undergone in school.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline GourmetDan

stupid idiots.  they could have quite easily found quotations from any number of other authors that express the same sentiments.

Maybe they aren't stupid but are saying more than they are being given credit for...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline musiclady

"Most kids who talked to Q13 Fox News didn’t understand why people are upset."

Why should we be shocked at that. Most students in Washington could not tell you what War the United States won it's independence. If they don't know that, how would they know anything about Hitler? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtDF-z77wk#t=60

I'm sure they love Obama, but they should have listened to him.

Then they would know there are 57 states.........        :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline katzenjammer

Maybe they aren't stupid but are saying more than they are being given credit for...

That's what I was thinking, they could actually be making a statement almost opposite of what is assumed....   :shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Raccoon posted:
[[ "What great fortune for those in power that people do not think." Adolph Hitler ]]

Just look around.
Then look at the White House.
And while you're at it, look at Congress, too - on BOTH sides of the aisle !!