Author Topic: Obama longs to break out of White House bubble  (Read 843 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama longs to break out of White House bubble
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/president-barack-obamas-starbucks-run-bear-loose-again-107612.html

By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE | 6/9/14 3:13 PM EDT

President Barack Obama ducked out of the White House Monday afternoon for a walk to a Starbucks that seemed so unplanned even White House press aides were caught by surprise.

With chief of staff Denis McDonough, Obama walked just down Pennsylvania Avenue for drinks — notably hot, given Washington weather that’s humid and in the 80s — greeting the crowd as he went, waving, shaking hands, even blowing kisses.

Monday’s short trip is the second time of late he’s taken an unscheduled walk out of the White House in the middle of the day. The last time, forgoing the motorcade on the way to an event at the Interior Department, he joked that he was like a circus bear off its chain, and “the bear is loose.”

Monday, he repeated that line as he left the White House — and seemed to bristle at the Secret Service’s scrambled attempt to clear the sidewalk for him, saying that their efforts defeated the point of his trip off White House grounds.

“Let’s test your wrangling skills,” he said to them at one point, turning down 17th Street to shake more hands.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

would that he'd take an unscheduled walk out of the White House and never turn back.

Offline flowers

I notice when he does these kind of things he has a certain kind of walk.  You can tell he thrives when he does this.  He LOVES this kind of attention. He could not live without it.  I am thinking the White House coffee is %1000 times better than Starbucks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:42:58 pm by flowers »

Offline mountaineer

I am thinking the White House coffee is %1000 times better than Starbucks.
Sheetz coffee (heck - even 7-Eleven coffee) is better than Starbucks.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
First, he wishes during an interview, if he could just "take a walk" like a regular person...that would be his BIG wish!  Now, he does an impromptu prissy-walk to Starbucks!

Oooooh, and look at his toned forearms! He must be pumping sum iron too.  Has he been working out?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

I notice when he does these kind of things he has a certain kind of walk.  You can tell he thrives when he does this.  He LOVES this kind of attention. He could not live without it.  I am thinking the White House coffee is %1000 times better than Starbucks.

He's lucky he doesn't get booed.  Metrosexual girly-man.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

I notice when he does these kind of things he has a certain kind of walk. 
I was going to call it a swagger, but it's really more of a swish.
Just sayin'.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
"Monday’s short trip is the second time of late he’s taken an unscheduled walk out of the White House in the middle of the day. The last time, forgoing the motorcade on the way to an event at the Interior Department, he joked that he was like a circus bear off its chain, and “the bear is loose."

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Lando Lincoln

I was going to call it a swagger, but it's really more of a swish.
Just sayin'.

I think of it as a sachet.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzKZxHl_IE

This is a little bit too accurate, in terms of our current POTUS.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-longs-break-white-house-bubble-120614293--politics.html

Associated Press
By NEDRA PICKLER 2 hours ago

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) — It's perhaps appropriate that President Barack Obama is vacationing this weekend in California, where the state flag features a roaming grizzly.

The restless president, who has compared himself to a caged animal on recent wanderings by declaring the "bear is loose," took a long Father's Day weekend away with his wife and older daughter.

The visit to the desert resort area of Palm Springs is one of the ways Obama has been trying to escape during his sixth year cloistered in the White House.

"I think frankly we've all been through a cold and bitter winter and the bear has cabin fever," said Obama friend and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett. "His cabin is a little bit bigger and harder to escape than most."

Obama has fantasized about being "on a beach somewhere drinking out of a coconut" or simply being able to walk out of the White House gate and stroll around unrecognized.

In California, Obama has worked out mornings at a gym near the Rancho Mirage home where the first family is staying with White House decorator Michael Smith and his partner, James Costos, the American ambassador to Spain.

The hilltop home has sweeping views, a private tennis court and trapezoid swimming pool. It's near the Sunnylands estate, where the president golfed despite temperatures above 100 degrees.

Obama interspersed his four-day weekend with official duties, including Democratic Party fundraising, a speech on climate change and calls to his national security adviser discussing military options to stop a violent insurgency in Iraq.

Obama seemed determined not to let the crisis overseas keep him from getting away, in a time-honored tradition of presidents going on working vacations even as some question the optics.

"Sometimes when all of the brown stuff is hitting the rotating blades, a vacation is not the best thing to go on," said Dana Perino, who was President George W. Bush's press secretary.

She speaks from experience.

Bush was vacationing during Hurricane Katrina and made frequent visits to Camp David or his Texas ranch.

"There were times the president wanted to go on a bike ride," Perino said, "but I'd have to say, 'Mr. President, there was a bombing in Iraq,' or 'The markets are tanking.'"

Obama has taken three weekends away in a golf-friendly place this year after kicking off 2014 on the links in Hawaii.

The Obama family also is planning a longer-than-usual summer vacation to Martha's Vineyard for two weeks in August, where last summer the president golfed nearly every day on the island.

Obama has golfed every weekend since Washington's weather got clear enough to allow it in April, save a week when he was in Asia.

Those close to Obama say his frequent golf outings are less about a love of the game than a desire to take a long walk outside. Obama also has been seen walking the darkened White House grounds, late into the evening, sometime with one of his dogs.

Last week Obama left his security detail, staff and press corps scrambling with the simple act of spontaneously walking about 350 yards from the West Wing to Starbucks. He told reporters who rushed to catch up with him to give him some space.

The next day, unannounced, he took Education Secretary Arne Duncan out for a burger. He also recently stopped by a Little League game and walked to an event at the Interior Department near the White House, shaking hands with surprised tourists along the way.

"I might walk up to the Lincoln Memorial, sit on there," Obama said when asked on the "Live with Kelly and Michael" talk show what he would choose if he could do anything unrecognized. "Maybe I'd wander around and find myself at a little outdoor cafe or something and sit and order something and just watch people go by. The thing you miss most about being president is anonymity."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Obama longs to break out of White House bubble
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »
Poor little guy. I almost want to shed a tear for him living in the sweatshop that is the White House with no contact to the outside world and very few chances to get out of the building, let alone take a vacation.

Someone hand me a Kleenex, I think I am going to cry.

8888crybaby

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »
This is the 3rd or 4th time the obama media/white house has put this out there. I wonder why, what is the political advantage of it?  Can anyone here tell me?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »
Actually, I can feel a certain bit of sympathy. Well - sympathy is possibly too strong a word, lets try empathy.

I am preaching to the choir as far as most members and lurkers here go when I say that being the boss is stressing as hell, especially when you are the ultimate boss. No one to kick crap upwards to, it's all your problem. Even if you are not the ultimate boss, you try to deal with everything so you look together and competent. A small break, even if just for half an hour, is something you grab on to with both hands and defend to the death.

My old CO would go fishing. In a flush pond, which had about as much chance of holding fish as it did holding tigers. I'll sneak half an hour to write, or to go and talk to my girl and make sure she's fed, watered and fully armed. My department head when I was teaching would disappear up to the roof of the school and work on the garden he had up there. No one else were allowed up there without permission.

Everyone needs an escape. That is no weakness, that is sanity.

Having said that, my tolerance for the Worm's whining is incredibly low. He wanted the job, chased the job and got the job. I have yet to see a single instance of him actually doing the job.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 03:23:55 pm »
And we are longing to "pop" that bubble and set him free.    And then install a real Leader.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline speekinout

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:42 pm »
Most people can empathize with a President's need to have some down time. But the optics still count. W gave up playing golf because it didn't look so good. The golf course is not the place for a President to be when there's a crisis. Esp. if he went golfing after he knew there was one.

But for down time, maybe he forgot that there is a place called Camp David, that was set up specifically for Presidents to get away and still have contact with everyone in their admin.

I'd be a little more sympathetic if he was at Camp David instead of playing golf in Palm Springs.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 10:50:36 pm »
Who doesn't know the "price" (to one's privacy) of running for President? Yes, you'll lose your anonymity. Duh. Get over it.  This idiot doesn't even do the job of the presidency, so I'm not quite sure what he's complaining about. He does little else but fundraise, vacation and play golf, and the news media give him a pass. At this point, no one is surprised that he'd rather visit Starbucks or a burger joint than the Oval Office.