Author Topic: Watch As Sepratists Shoot Down a Ukrainian Recon Plane  (Read 647 times)

SPQR

Watch As Sepratists Shoot Down a Ukrainian Recon Plane
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:36:24 am »

David Cenciotti on Jun 7

On June 6, a shoulder-fired missile struck a Ukrainian air force An-30 reconnaissance plane during Kiev’s ongoing battle with Russian-backed eastern separatists in Slavyansk.

Some of the crew bailed out—others apparently did not. The An-30 probably carried around eight people. The damaged aircraft reportedly crashed near Svyatogorsk north of Slavyansk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f80_1402065879

Russia’s supporters, agents and proxies in eastern Ukraine have succeeded in shooting down several Ukrainian planes and helicopters since the unrest began during Russian’s annexation of Crimea starting in late February.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f80_1402065879

Moscow denies backing the Ukrainian separatists, but the rebels’ sophisticated anti-aircraft weaponry seems to indicate state support.

Ukraine is pulling old aircraft out of mothballs in order to top off its flying units—and to make good losses that Kiev incurred when Russian troops seized air bases in Crimea.

SPQR

Re: Watch As Sepratists Shoot Down a Ukrainian Recon Plane
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:37:47 am »
Those farm boys are getting better and better equipped

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52:15 am »
Heat seeker, by the impact zone. Sad that no one was paying attention to the belly radar at the time. I foresee a sudden frantic fitting of remotely fired flare guns to the reconnaissance craft to give them a bit of a chance.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:54:39 am »
Heat seeker, by the impact zone. Sad that no one was paying attention to the belly radar at the time. I foresee a sudden frantic fitting of remotely fired flare guns to the reconnaissance craft to give them a bit of a chance.

Exactly. They are getting better equipped by someone. You can't find these at the local drug store.SA-24 heat-seeking missile.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:58:22 am by Trigger »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:25 am »
Exactly. They are getting better equipped by someone. You can't find these at the local drug store.SA-24 heat-seeking missile.

Sounds about right. The plane was well within the 6 km range, and they have a remarkably sensitive detection and lock on system for their cheapness. Undoubtedly the Russian forces had an unfortunate break in of a mobile armory along the border ....  :whistle:

Though - I must admit - I could take you places where it is easier to get one of these than a bottle of aspirin.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:21 am »
Sounds about right. The plane was well within the 6 km range, and they have a remarkably sensitive detection and lock on system for their cheapness. Undoubtedly the Russian forces had an unfortunate break in of a mobile armory along the border ....  :whistle:

Though - I must admit - I could take you places where it is easier to get one of these than a bottle of aspirin.

LOL-There was a case not long ago up in Seattle in one of those gun buy back program that a person handed one of these in.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:35:34 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:04 am »
LOL-There was a case not long ago up in Seattle in one of those gun buy back program that a person handed one of these in.

Here is a link to that story

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/01/28/how-did-someone-in-seattle-come-to-own-a-stinger-surface-to-air-missile-launcher&view=comments

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:15 am »
Ha!

It's almost bound to be someone coming back off active with a souvenir or two.

It's been used, no reload (though you can actually reload them - not advisable, after the first use it's a crap shoot as to working properly or going boom in your face but it is possible) so most bases wouldn't even blink if a guy wants to keep it and pop it over his fireplace. It's only going to be crushed otherwise.

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:51:10 am »
Ha!

It's almost bound to be someone coming back off active with a souvenir or two.

It's been used, no reload (though you can actually reload them - not advisable, after the first use it's a crap shoot as to working properly or going boom in your face but it is possible) so most bases wouldn't even blink if a guy wants to keep it and pop it over his fireplace. It's only going to be crushed otherwise.

But it packs a punch