Author Topic: This is the last bullet you’ll ever need  (Read 4760 times)

Offline mrclose

This is the last bullet you’ll ever need
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:22:58 am »

Decent video at link.

Meet the RIP round from G2 Research.

Not only does this bullet look scary, it does scary things.

It was intended to be used for gun-toting women against would-be attackers, and it’s guaranteed to kill anyone dumb enough to assault anyone who has this in the chamber.

http://rare.us/story/this-is-the-last-bullet-youll-ever-need-watch-and-see-the-technology-for-yourself/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: This is the last bullet you’ll ever need
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:13:03 am »
Interesting....I keep a magazine of Corbans in my .45 and use regular round ball rounds at the range.  The Corbans are spendy but whatever you hit with one is going down......or at least you will blow significant pieces of the target clean off.....

:smokin:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:20:17 am »
That's an ugly looking round.  A-10 Warthog ugly.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:05 am »
How much do you want to bet that Obama's government starts buying them all up with another 2 billion round order? You know, for the IRS, and the Post Office and the EPA.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »
that pic showing the bullet expanded while it is still in the case is kind of dopey

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:50 pm »
Just more pointy things to get caught up on feed ramps, jamming guns. On gun  forums there are whole treads devoted with feeding problems with various gun / ammo combos.   I can see this round being an issue, but I'll let others spend their money on the field test.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:30:53 pm »
Here are some real pix (rather than advert drawings):

unfired:

fired at various targets, as compared to a standard hollow point:

The guy who wrote this article (from whence the second pic was borrowed):  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/g2-researchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-two/

did some ballistic testing on the round and was not particularly impressed by it when compared to standard hollow point rounds.  It seems that the primary effect of the RIP round is a very large, but superficial, surface wound where the round first hits, but that it isn't as lethal as a standard hollow point in terms of its overall effects and tissue damage.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:32:04 pm by Oceander »

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:56:58 pm »
Just more pointy things to get caught up on feed ramps, jamming guns. On gun  forums there are whole treads devoted with feeding problems with various gun / ammo combos.   I can see this round being an issue, but I'll let others spend their money on the field test.

Looking at the picture I was wondering the same thing. It does look like the cartridge wouldn't slide along a feed ramp very well.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:06 pm »
Looking at the picture I was wondering the same thing. It does look like the cartridge wouldn't slide along a feed ramp very well.

that's a really good point.  it'd probably make for a really nasty jam if it did catch.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:28 pm »
Here are some real pix (rather than advert drawings):

unfired:

fired at various targets, as compared to a standard hollow point:

The guy who wrote this article (from whence the second pic was borrowed):  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/g2-researchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-two/

did some ballistic testing on the round and was not particularly impressed by it when compared to standard hollow point rounds.  It seems that the primary effect of the RIP round is a very large, but superficial, surface wound where the round first hits, but that it isn't as lethal as a standard hollow point in terms of its overall effects and tissue damage.

Do you know what the cost is?

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:54 pm »
LOL  I suppose it wouldn't be much fun loading into a magazine. Nasty looking things and kind of interestig but I'm inclined to stick with what I know is reliable and trust is plenty sufficient

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »
Do you know what the cost is?

did a quickie google and it looks like it runs about $44 per 20-round box.  but it also seems to be out-of-stock at a lot of places.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:27 pm »
LOL  I suppose it wouldn't be much fun loading into a magazine. Nasty looking things and kind of interestig but I'm inclined to stick with what I know is reliable and trust is plenty sufficient

I didn't think about that.  Being a girl, I find it keeps my thumbs and fingernails from getting chewed up when I'm loading a magazine if I wear tight-fitting leather gloves while doing it. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:44 am »
With a slug, you can hit a vest and still mess up the guy wearing it. If this thing hits any resistance, shooting through a door or a wall or brush, these rounds will likely shatter and deflect severly. Also, I question the accuracy at distance based on the aerodynamics of the unusual point.

Still, it would be fun to shoot some of them and see what they do.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 01:42:54 am »
With a slug, you can hit a vest and still mess up the guy wearing it. If this thing hits any resistance, shooting through a door or a wall or brush, these rounds will likely shatter and deflect severly. Also, I question the accuracy at distance based on the aerodynamics of the unusual point.

Still, it would be fun to shoot some of them and see what they do.

The guy at the webpage I linked to above did a simple test of shooting a RIP round and a traditional hollow point at 3/4" plywood.  It didn't shatter or deflect severely, but it didn't really do much, either.  Here's what he had to say:
G2 Research claim that their round defeats all known barriers, such as plywood.  Well, it did smash through the plywood and enter the gel, so yes, it did defeat the plywood.  Unlike the four-layer denim test, in my plywood test shot the performance of the R.I.P. bullet through the plywood was not the same as in bare gel:  only three of the trocars broke off.  The other five stayed attached.  This made for a rather interesting gel block; the resulting R.I.P. bullet looked more like a conventional expanded hollowpoint, with a large expansion diameter.  Because of the larger diameter, it also didn’t penetrate as deeply; it came to rest at about 9.25.”  The initial expansion cavity wasn’t as large as in the bare or denim tests; I measured it at about 1.50” across.

The trocars that did break off didn’t really “deploy” like in the previous gel tests.  In the bare gel and 4LD tests, the trocars broke off and stayed straight and long, each creating its own wound channel.  In the plywood test, only three broke off and they were curved, like those that stayed attached to the bullet.  Only one of these detached curved trocars tried to depart on its own wound path.  The others basically stayed in the central damage cavity, very similar to how Hornady’s Critical Defense will frequently shed petals that remain in the permanent crush cavity.

The HSTs didn’t do well here.  My first shot smashed through the plywood and entered the gel, but didn’t expand.  It over penetrated…and kept on penetrating to about 23.50.”  I then tried again, and got similar results; a second HST smashed through the plywood, failed to expand, and penetrated to about 22.25”.

Neither round did well in this improvised, non-standard plywood test.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 01:54:04 am »
that's a really good point.  it'd probably make for a really nasty jam if it did catch.

My XDs-9 has trouble feeding Hornady Critical Defense. That little bit of Tupper Ware they insert at the tip of the bullet seems to grip instead of slide up the feed ramp. I had to clear 3 or 4 rounds that were jammed in my first and last box of 50.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn