Author Topic: Obama is driving the country to ruin By Michael Goodwin  (Read 498 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama is driving the country to ruin By Michael Goodwin
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:04:19 pm »
http://nypost.com/2014/06/07/obama-is-driving-the-country-to-ruin/

Obama is driving the country to ruin

By Michael Goodwin

June 7, 2014 | 10:22pm

If you think of the United States of America as a store, its recent decisions and scandals resemble a sale, perhaps a fire sale. Or maybe even a “Going Out of Business” sale.

The list of dramatic markdowns is breathtaking. They include trading away five murderous terrorists for a likely Army deserter, an open invitation to tens of thousands of illegal immigrants to cross the Mexican border, and a decision to recognize the terrorist group Hamas as part of the Palestinian government.

On the home front, environmental regulations will cost thousands of coal miners their jobs and drive up the cost of electricity for millions. The ObamaCare mess is hardly resolved, and the Veterans Affairs scandal keeps getting worse. The acting agency head reported the deaths of 18 more vets who were kept off the official waiting list in Phoenix.

Ticking quietly in the background is the mother of all threats — an Iranian nuclear bomb. That ticking grew louder last week as the ayatollah mocked our nation by standing in front of a banner that proclaimed, “America cannot do a damn thing.”

Technically, he’s wrong. It’s not that we cannot stop the mad mullahs’ march. It’s that President Obama has taken the military option off the table, and without it, Iran has nothing to fear. Our impotence was a choice.

Add to the combustible mix the expansionist moods in Russia and China, and the series of events recalls an observation by the late economist Herb Stein. Speaking in another context, he said that, “If something can’t go on forever, it won’t.” That sums up the current sense of the nation as a whole.

What seemed for years a steady and slow decline increasingly feels like a headlong race to the bottom. America is careening downhill, and a crack-up appears inevitable.

It is no coincidence that the deal with the Taliban to release five terrorist leaders from Guantanamo brought the first threat of presidential impeachment from a respected member of Congress. GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said that if Obama tried to release others without lawmakers’ approval, it would lead to “people on our side calling for his impeachment.”

That is the nuclear option, and there is good reason why it has been so rarely invoked throughout history. And yet the intense fever gripping Washington, largely created by Obama’s go-it-alone approach, needs to be broken. The country simply cannot continue to remain the beacon of the free world if we are consumed by our own dysfunction and distrust.

Impeachment is one way to try to resolve a political crisis, but as former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy argues in his new book, public opinion is a vital ingredient, and it is missing. Titled “Faithless Execution,” his book’s subtitle, “Building the Political Case for Obama’s Impeachment,” is based on McCarthy’s claim that the legal case is solid that Obama has violated his oath to execute the laws faithfully.

That’s an arguable point, but even to concede it means nothing because the Democratic Party has been so cowed into supporting Obama, regardless of what he does, that there is no chance to make the political case.

Indeed, we have reached this crisis largely because centrist Democrats have failed to stand up against Obama and demand more moderate policies.

Leaving aside occasional grumbling from party elders, he gets ­almost unanimous support from every Dem in Congress for every piece of his radical agenda. Evidence shows that one of his most pernicious practices, using the IRS to punish conservative groups, grew out of congressional demands from liberals. While that doesn’t excuse Obama’s role, it does demonstrate that his party has enabled and encouraged his improper conduct.

The result is that the constitutional system of checks and balances has been gutted as Democrats act as an amen chorus for the executive branch.

The framers put a high bar on impeachment, and merely attempting to draw up the articles is viable only when there is a bipartisan consensus that the president’s immediate removal is necessary. We are a long way from that consensus.

Still, something has to give. And unless Democrats begin to put duty to country over loyalty to Obama, America as we know it is headed to a point of no return.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Obama is driving the country to ruin By Michael Goodwin
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »
"Still, something has to give. And unless Democrats begin to put duty to country over loyalty to Obama, America as we know it is headed to a point of no return."

I think we're very close to the point of no return.  And let's face it - I always think to myself that we got here incrementally - that if we had stopped the little pieces early on, we wouldn't be where we are now.  Not only the Democrats have let this happen, but the Republicans have played their ample part too.  We've gone too long without strong opposition leadership - and it shows!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:01:40 pm »
"Still, something has to give. And unless Democrats begin to put duty to country over loyalty to Obama, America as we know it is headed to a point of no return."

I think we're very close to the point of no return.  And let's face it - I always think to myself that we got here incrementally - that if we had stopped the little pieces early on, we wouldn't be where we are now.  Not only the Democrats have let this happen, but the Republicans have played their ample part too.  We've gone too long without strong opposition leadership - and it shows!

I believe we are past that point, sadly.

There will be no return, and we might as well resign ourselves to that fact.

There is no truly organized opposition to the state socialization of America, as Tea Party and other patriot groups lack the support of a national political party, which in our system of government is necessary to effect meaningful change.

The collapse to come will not be gradual, but sharp and sudden, occasioned by an event that cannot be foretold, but which will rapidly cascade as our accumulated years of unsupportable debt, our gradual loss of personal freedom and of a common culture, and our rejection of personal responsibility all conspire to lead America into a dark age.

What remains for those who still care about human liberty is to plan how to shepherd ourselves, our families and our communities through the bleakness to come, while beginning to imagine how we might inspire our children and grandchildren to reclaim their birthright.   

I know these are not inspiring words, nor cheerful thoughts, but we will not be nearly the first civilization to consume itself, nor will the darkness last forever as long as the merest spark of divinity remains within the human spirit, and for as long as people yet live who imagine and possess the courage to express a vision of life, liberty and happiness.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:13:41 pm »
I believe we are past that point, sadly.

There will be no return, and we might as well resign ourselves to that fact.

There is no truly organized opposition to the state socialization of America, as Tea Party and other patriot groups lack the support of a national political party, which in our system of government is necessary to effect meaningful change.

The collapse to come will not be gradual, but sharp and sudden, occasioned by an event that cannot be foretold, but which will rapidly cascade as our accumulated years of unsupportable debt, our gradual loss of personal freedom and of a common culture, and our rejection of personal responsibility all conspire to lead America into a dark age.

What remains for those who still care about human liberty is to plan how to shepherd ourselves, our families and our communities through the bleakness to come, while beginning to imagine how we might inspire our children and grandchildren to reclaim their birthright.   

I know these are not inspiring words, nor cheerful thoughts, but we will not be nearly the first civilization to consume itself, nor will the darkness last forever as long as the merest spark of divinity remains within the human spirit, and for as long as people yet live who imagine and possess the courage to express a vision of life, liberty and happiness.

Very well said, Andy.  Agree with all of it, bolded the part that I think needs to be emphasized to all, and is the reason why (as bizarre as it may sound to some), the sooner, the better.  Thank You.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:42 pm »

Yes, it has been incrementally, going on for many decades.  Sadly, most of us bear some degree of responsibility for not paying more attention and working to stop it.  And even up through today, almost everyone remains too fearful to do anything in any attempt to even slow it down; too worried about the optics and politics to even consider acting on principle. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:02:43 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »
Nice post, Andy (as usual).

For a preview of what such "dark times" might entail, I suggest to all reading this, to read Matt Bracken's trilogy, "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic", "Domestic Enemies, the Reconquista", and "Foreign Enemies and Traitors", in that order.

They're availabe "on Kindle". Or if you're really hurting for cash, just open a search engine and enter "Enemies Foreign And Domestic trilogy"...