(Reuters) - Up to 37 people including women and children were killed in Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern province of South Kivu on Saturday in an attack that government officials blamed on a dispute over cattle.
The victims, who included several pregnant women, had been shot, stabbed or burned inside their homes. A Reuters cameraman on the scene in the village of Mutarule counted 37 bodies, some of them lying inside a village church.
Residents and religious leaders said patients in a medical centre had also been attacked. Apart from the dead, more than 20 people were injured, with 10 of them in critical condition.
"It is Congolese who have carried out these attacks. It was about a dispute over cows," South Kivu governor Marcellin Cishambo told Reuters. "The problem is that everyone in this area carries a weapon."
He gave a lower estimate of 27 for the number of dead.
Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/07/us-congo-massacre-idUSKBN0EI0NH20140607
They do take their cattle very seriously. It's the family wealth.