Author Topic: Michigan Government Stripping Parents Rights?  (Read 301 times)

rangerrebew

Michigan Government Stripping Parents Rights?
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »

Michigan Government Stripping Parents Rights?

By Onan Coca   / 6 June 2014   / 353 Comments   

One Michigan mother was unpleasantly surprised when she took her daughter to the doctor recently. When she arrived in the office, a notice on the door terrified and angered her.

The note informed patients that a new Michigan law about access to medical records requires doctors (or nurses) to have a “private” conversation with adolescent children ages 12 – 17.

mom

Needless to say this mom was not happy with the notice or the nurse’s insistence that there was no way for her to opt out.

… I asked if this policy was in effect and if so, how could I opt out. The receptionist told me it’s a new law and there is no opting out. Working to keep my cool, I said, “I’m sure there is.” She said, “No, there isn’t.” At which point I asked if I needed to leave and go to the urgent care center because I was not submitting my daughter to such a conversation.

That did not go over well.

The receptionist closed the window. Almost immediately, the office manager turned the corner and said, “Mrs. Duffy, may I speak with you?”

She said there was a new policy that would allow a child to access his/her medical records online and the child would be allowed to block a parent from viewing the website. The nurse would also inform my children that the doctor's office is a safe place for them to receive information about STDs, HIV and birth control. That is what the nurse would be chatting about with my children without any pesky parental oversight.

parentrightsI kindly informed her that no one would be talking with my children privately, and I needed to know how to opt out of this policy before bringing Amy back for her physical next month.

Make sure this is crystal clear: what they want to do is talk to your child about sex and drugs (maybe rock and roll – who knows?) without your input. Is it really such a stretch to imagine that a doctor who does not value abstinence before marriage would encourage your daughters – as young as 12! – to receive birth control? Is it really such a stretch to imagine a nurse telling a young boy – because a 12 year old boy is a BOY – that she will give him condoms so he can be “safe”? Is this what you want told to your children without the ability to filter the info through your world view?

Should a doctor ever ask to speak to a child without a parent present? If he/she suspects abuse then of course. But short of evidence of abuse, a doctor should not need to speak to a child alone.

I am the Mom. I will pick who can talk to my kids about sex and drugs. And rock-n-roll for that matter.

Read the rest of the blog post here.

This mom is exactly correct. The law might make sense on its face, but just a little thought and the logic should start breaking down. By allowing the doctors “private” time with adolescent children, you strip the rights of parents away from them. Why would the government want to do this? For the same reasons Obamacare is now law and that the NSA gets to trample our Fourth Amendment rights -- government power.

parental-rightsBy taking the power to raise their children out of the hands of parents, a vacuum is created, and the government rushes in to fill that void. In this case, they use medical professionals to do the job.

The medical professionals take the politically correct messages about sex and relationships directly to young children whose parents may not agree with that message. “Here Johnny, do you need some condoms to make sure that your sexual encounters are safe?” “Oh, my religious beliefs say that I shouldn’t be doing that.” “It’s perfectly natural, Johhny. You have nothing to be ashamed or worried about. Here, take some free condoms and don’t let anyone make you feel bad about your sexual desires.” “No one makes me feel bad. We just believe it’s sin to engage in sexual activity outside of marriage.” “Johnny don’t let anyone tell you your desires are wrong! They are natural. Here, take these condoms!”

I’m won’t even discuss what the discussion might look like if abortion or transgender issues come up. God forbid.

I am the Mom. I will pick who can talk to my kids about sex and drugs. And rock-n-roll for that matter.

I agree.

I am the Dad. I will pick who can talk to my kids about sex and drugs… and any other important moral issue for that matter.

I am not checking my parental rights at the door simply because I am an American. I will obey the laws and work hard to be a “good” citizen… but the moment the government begins to infringe on my duties as a father, I will no longer comply. My children are too important and my government is too incompetent for me to allow that to happen.

Read more at http://eaglerising.com/6592/michigan-government-stripping-parents-rights/#EWqV4zaLI538Jl04.99