Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein: No threat to Bergdahl  (Read 389 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dianne Feinstein: No threat to Bergdahl
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:49:47 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=57041259-D4B8-46E2-B891-BB8DFE870023

Dianne Feinstein: No threat to Bergdahl
By: Jonathan Topaz
June 6, 2014 01:32 PM EDT

Senate Intelligence Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein said she has not seen any evidence that the Taliban would have killed Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl if details of an agreement had leaked, contrary to what Obama administration officials have said.

When asked whether there was a “credible threat” on Bergdahl’s life if word had gotten out, the California Democrat responded: “No, I don’t think there was a credible threat, but I don’t know. I have no information that there was.”

Feinstein’s comments, part of an interview with Bloomberg Television’s Political Capital with Al Hunt airing Friday evening, put her at odds with White House officials. At a briefing Wednesday, administration officials told lawmakers that they couldn’t give Congress advance notice on the Bergdahl deal because the Taliban vowed to kill him if any details about the prisoner exchange came out.

Feinstein and several other lawmakers have accused President Barack Obama of violating the law — specifically, a part of the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act — by not informing Congress of a prisoner exchange at least 30 days before. Top national security representatives House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) have blasted the administration for not keeping Congress in the loop. Rogers in particular said he hadn’t been briefed on Bergdahl by the White House since 2011.

Feinstein said White House deputy national security adviser Tony Blinken called her this week to apologize for not keeping her informed about the deal that returned Bergdahl to the U.S. and released five senior Taliban officials from Guantanamo Bay prison.

The senator added that the administration has an “absolute obligation” to fully investigate the nature of Bergdahl’s capture. Some media reports have suggested that the solder was a deserter given that he likely voluntarily walked away from his platoon.

She also said that she couldn’t definitively say whether Bergdahl’s life was in serious jeopardy, another argument that the White House has made to justify acting swiftly and without consulting Congress.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Dianne Feinstein: No threat to Bergdahl
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:22:39 pm »
DiFi does this from time to time. She spits out the truth and then gets her mind right and follows the regimes story.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 07:25:42 pm »
DiFi does this from time to time. She spits out the truth and then gets her mind right and follows the regimes story.

I were thinking the same. Took a look at her bio, out of curiosity, and she is pretty centerist for a Democrat though. I guess the odd bit of honesty shouldn't come as a surprise, especially as she gets older.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »

I give her great credit for taking her responsibilities on the Intelligence Committee very seriously.  She has worked very hard to build herself a great deal of credibility on intelligence matters, and in fact would likely be a qualified candidate for head of Central Intelligence.  This is as close as she will come to calling a Democrat President a liar, but in fact that is exactly what she is doing here.  I suspect she's had enough of amateur hour.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
I give her great credit for taking her responsibilities on the Intelligence Committee very seriously.  She has worked very hard to build herself a great deal of credibility on intelligence matters, and in fact would likely be a qualified candidate for head of Central Intelligence.  This is as close as she will come to calling a Democrat President a liar, but in fact that is exactly what she is doing here.  I suspect she's had enough of amateur hour.

I defer to your opinion - but yes. The reading I have done about her - quite a lot in the last few hours, got curious about her - would tend to agree with your assessment. If it wasn't for her age, she'd make an amazing National Security Adviser and would bring some adult supervision to the White House. She might even have a slight chance of reigning Obama in at times. She doesn't tend to brown nose much and is too respected to ignore completely.
Still - I'd rather have her chairing the Intelligence Committee than some dweeb with his eye on the main chance and patronage.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink