Author Topic: Palin: Bergdahl Can't Remember English? Dial 1-800-RosettaStone  (Read 790 times)

rangerrebew

Palin: Bergdahl Can't Remember English? Dial 1-800-RosettaStone

Other POWs came back speaking "KickAss"

News

| Trey Sanchez |

In what is sure to ruffle liberal feathers, Sarah Palin took to Facebook to weigh in on the ridiculous notion that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has forgotten how to speak English and therefore can't be interviewed. Palin flinched, offering a little reminder that other POWs, such as John McCain, came back not only speaking English but speaking "KickAss."

Palin fired back at Bergdahl sympathizers reminding them that he denounced America, deserted his platoon and that soldiers died trying to find him. Those same sympathizers, Palin said, are now claiming to the media that he can't remember how to speak in English. So she offered this solution: Call 1-800-RosettaStone -- the very language-learning program Bergdahl was said by his platoon members to have been "always" using in order to learn Dari, Arabic and Pashto in his bunk.

Then Palin asked if anyone remembers other POWs; John McCain, Tom Moe, James Stockdale, Tom Kirk. Did THEY forget the English language "during their years and years of brutal, inhumane captivity?" she asks. They didn't come home speaking Vietnamese, Palin said, "but speaking KickAss against those who would destroy the red, white, and blue."

http://www.truthrevolt.org//news/palin-bergdahl-cant-remember-english-dial-1-800-rosettastone
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:53:20 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Palin: Bergdahl Can't Remember English? Dial 1-800-RosettaStone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
Sarah - in this case, you have no clue. Sorry. I like you normally.

Let me lay it down for you. If you spend 6 weeks with a group that speaks only French, you take a few days to stop thinking and speaking in some unholy mix of French and English when you get home. That is only 6 weeks. What do you think 5 years would be like?

You don't even need to guess. There are enough records out there of people who were in solitary and not permitted to speak, who took months or years after their release to re-learn their language. Now take a man who is entirely surrounded by people who speak a different language. He's there for 5 damned years. The only people he sees are incomprehensible to him at first (Rosetta stone is not a basis of language, it's a glorified phrase book.It overs challenge / response, not conversation.) You will forget.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:56:54 am »
What the hell was Sarah Palin trying to say there? I might expect something like this out of the mouth of a beer-swilling redneck, but from a woman who was once a governor?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54:51 am »
Six months before his release - just last year - Bergdahl was videotaped speaking perfect English. That would have been after 4-1/2 years of "captivity." He didn't forget how to speak English.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »
Sarah - in this case, you have no clue. Sorry. I like you normally.

Let me lay it down for you. If you spend 6 weeks with a group that speaks only French, you take a few days to stop thinking and speaking in some unholy mix of French and English when you get home. That is only 6 weeks. What do you think 5 years would be like?

You don't even need to guess. There are enough records out there of people who were in solitary and not permitted to speak, who took months or years after their release to re-learn their language. Now take a man who is entirely surrounded by people who speak a different language. He's there for 5 damned years. The only people he sees are incomprehensible to him at first (Rosetta stone is not a basis of language, it's a glorified phrase book.It overs challenge / response, not conversation.) You will forget.

John McLame was a prisoner in Viet Nam longer than Bergdahl was a prisoner with the Taliban but he didn't forget how to speak English.  He may have been left a nut case but he didn't forget how to speak his native language.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:10:30 pm »
They keep saying that Bergdahl and his parents have not spoken to each other yet, I think that's strange.  Even if they told me my child had forgotten how to speak english - I would be on the phone speaking english to him!  This whole thing is weird. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »
They keep saying that Bergdahl and his parents have not spoken to each other yet, I think that's strange.  Even if they told me my child had forgotten how to speak english - I would be on the phone speaking english to him!  This whole thing is weird.

They could easily communicate in Pashto since they both speak it.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »
They could easily communicate in Pashto since they both speak it.

It is strange.  I think the main goal for the whole thing was getting those five released.  The soldier was used to help us to swallow it easier - he was the good PR - but they didn't seem to foresee the public's very negative reaction to the deal made. 

Why can't people see with their own eyes - that Obama is doing things to help those who hate us and want to kill us - over and over again!  No matter what the media is telling us, you do not have to be a genius to see this.  What has happened to reasoned thought? 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline SlapLeather

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »
It is strange.  I think the main goal for the whole thing was getting those five released.  The soldier was used to help us to swallow it easier - he was the good PR - but they didn't seem to foresee the public's very negative reaction to the deal made. 

Why can't people see with their own eyes - that Obama is doing things to help those who hate us and want to kill us - over and over again!  No matter what the media is telling us, you do not have to be a genius to see this.  What has happened to reasoned thought?

Witness the result of a morally depraved, intellectually dishonest and challenged society.

We have been told.

Watch.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »
Does Palin ever have an un-Facebooked thought?

Her observations, thankfully, are less and less salient because they're less and less relevant.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:51:26 pm »

Her observations, thankfully, are less and less salient because they're less and less relevant.

I'm not going to diss her for that. To be blunt, using social media to get the message out is something the Dems do well and the Repubs are bloody terrible at.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:26 pm »
[[ Palin fired back at Bergdahl sympathizers reminding them that he denounced America, deserted his platoon and that soldiers died trying to find him. Those same sympathizers, Palin said, are now claiming to the media that he can't remember how to speak in English. So she offered this solution: Call 1-800-RosettaStone ]]

I have no problems with this.

She's right on.

Absolutely right on!

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »

Agree or not with her, at least she is honest enough to say what is on her mind without trying how to make it politically correct.  I remember a democratic POTUS who was widely liked because of such candor - Harry Truman.