Author Topic: Unanimous Senate Tells Sudan: Immediately Release Meriam Ibrahim and Her Children  (Read 201 times)

rangerrebew

Unanimous Senate Tells Sudan: Immediately Release Meriam Ibrahim and Her Children

5 June 2014 / 2 Comments

The case of 27-year-old Meriam Ibrahim has seemingly touched the world.  Amnesty International has an ever growing campaign (which you can join) demanding her immediate and unconditional release.   But, the silence from the President Obama, in defense of this wife of a U.S. citizen, has been deafening.

Further, Daniel Wani, Ibrahim’s husband, has faced nothing but red tape from the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum while trying to obtain assistance.

“They said ‘well your wife isn’t American, so we can’t help,’” Wani said. “I felt disgusted. My home is in America, and still they won’t help. It’s getting uglier, and it’s not going in the right direction.”

“I have provided wedding documents and the baby’s birth certificate, but this is clearly not enough,” he said. “It’s very upsetting that they don’t believe me.”

Wani even said the embassy requested DNA evidence to prove his son was his son.  Enough is enough!  It begs the question, ‘what is the problem?’

Earlier this week, Terence P. Jeffrey of CNS news made the following comments:

Perhaps the administration has been working intensely behind the scenes to free this family and is wary of saying something publicly that would hurt rather than help the cause. That would be understandable.

Or perhaps working out the deal to free five Taliban prisoners was more important to this administration than working to free the family of an American citizen imprisoned because they are Christians.

The Senate has finally joined together and approved a resolution that demands the “immediate and unconditional release” of Meriam Ibrahim and her two children.

CNS:  In an act of unmitigated bipartisanship, all Republicans and all Democrats in the U.S. Senate joined together on Tuesday evening to unanimously approve a resolution demanding the “immediate and unconditional release” of Meriam Ibrahim and her two children from the Sudanese prison where they are being held because Meriam refuses to renounce her Christian faith.

Ibrahim, the wife of U.S. citizen Daniel Wani, has been incarcerated at the Omdurman Federal Women’s Prison along with the couple’s 20-month-old son, Martin, and 1-week old daughter, Maya. She currently faces a death sentence.

Meriam and Daniel, who is also a Christian, were married at a Christian church in Sudan in December 2011.

Meriam’s father was a Muslim, but her mother was a Christian. The father reportedly abandoned the family when Meriam was six, and the mother raised her as a Christian.

On May 15, a Sudanese court convicted Ibrahim of “apostasy” and “adultery.” The court said she was guilty of “apostasy” because she refused to renounce her Christian faith and become a Muslim like her father. The court said she was guilty of “adultery” because of her relationship with her own husband. Sudan refuses to recognize the marriage of a Christian man to a Muslim women.

Read more at http://minutemennews.com/2014/06/unanimous-senate-tells-sudan-immediately-release-meriam-ibrahim-children/#KmM0I4o6eTGey7Bb.99